*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Oct 4, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #2,087 of 2,577
Windows 10. What a crapshoot.

I have 2 Modi 2 Ubers. I verified that Both work on an old win 7 laptop. No issues.both  Installed as expected. On the windows 10 machine. I spent hours trying to get one to install and it would not even using a wyrd. I got home got the second one and it installed on the first shot. Same Cables and same Usb port.

I do not know why this is the case but it's pretty schiity. Any ideas as to why this may be the case.

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #2,088 of 2,577
Are both based on the DAC AKM AK4396 or one of them is based on the AKM AK4490?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #2,089 of 2,577
I'm having issues with my Modi 2U in Windows 10. Code 43 pains, just like people are experiencing all over the Internet! I've noticed it's really due to USB 3 -- it also affects my ODAC. I'm just going to use Toslink instead. :)

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #2,091 of 2,577

I bought headphones HiFiMAN HE-350 
I need your advice
What is the audio source for them to buy
my budget is not great $ 250
I noticed myself modi2+magni2 as an option
if you listened to this DAC and Amp
or in General this bundle, I can to say about them
I beg you to help me
I will be very grateful!

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #2,093 of 2,577
Where Can I buy a top quality Power adapter for Magni 2 Uber ?

Hi !
I see they recommend

14VAC, 1500mA: for Magni 2 Uber. (wow ... it consumes a lot more than the basic Magni 2 I have.  Strange)
Does it run hot maybe ?

so I guess any good quality mains transformer providing 14VAC / 1500mA    should work

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=14vac+transformer&_sop=15

unfortunately 14VAC is not very common like instead 15VAC.  The choice would be bigger.
I would look for a unit with just one secondary.  I do not like the idea of paralleling things. 
Without any scientific reason of course.  It is just a feeling.    

Oct 15, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #2,094 of 2,577
What are the downsides of the regular Magni 2?.

On paper this seems like more than enough for casual listening. I use Beyer DT250/250, HD600, K712.  Actually, I use HD380's mostly, but those don't care what i feed them
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks!

Oct 15, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #2,095 of 2,577
  What are the downsides of the regular Magni 2?.

On paper this seems like more than enough for casual listening. I use Beyer DT250/250, HD600, K712.  Actually, I use HD380's mostly, but those don't care what i feed them
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks!

Personally, I would base the decision on your planned longevity - how long do you plan to keep your casual listening setup? Are you planning at any time in the near future to upgrade?

I would not base the purchase on the sonic differences between the Magni 2 and Magni 2 Uber - there are differences! In my opinion, these differences are notable. I bought the Magni 2, because I needed a solid state. But I could not keep it, once other planned-for upgrades became available - not for casual, fun listening. However, the Magni 2 Uber, I recently acquired for a different purpose. And I plan to keep the Uber, for exactly the purpose you suggest. I want something in my computer area. And the Uber sounds quite good!

If it weren't for the Magni 2 Uber, I would be using something much more upscale, such as a Grace Design m9xx or a Chord Mojo, for casual listening. Though more costly, in my opinion neither of these is truly an upgrade in the amplifier, over the Uber. When Uber is fed a good source, such as the Modi Multibit, it does very well against these other, more costly options.

::

Perhaps a simpler way to state - if you are the type who upgrades, get the Magni 2. If you are the type likely to keep a product for many years, I heartily recommend the Magni 2 Uber. Spend the $50 extra, not because your headphones need more power to drive. Do it because the sound is simply better, and it will save you from any desire to upgrade down the road. And yes, the Uber is quite suitable for casual listening. The musical engagement, which you have to pay attention to, starts, in my opinion, at around the Valhalla 2 and Jotunheim level.

Just my opinion...

Oct 16, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #2,096 of 2,577
  Personally, ... I would not base the purchase on the sonic differences between the Magni 2 and Magni 2 Uber -
there are differences !   In my opinion, these differences are notable...  I heartily recommend the Magni 2 Uber.
Spend the $50 extra, not because your headphones need more power to drive.
Do it because the sound is simply better, and it will save you from any desire to upgrade down the road. ...

Hi ! thanks a lot for the very interesting advice
Could you give some more details about the differences ?   I mean ... better bass ?  more transparent ?
Moreover I see that the two models use very different transformers with the Uber version drawing 3 times more current.  

16VAC / 500mA:          For Magni, Magni 2 
14VAC / 1500mA:        for Magni 2 Uber  

Does it run hotter than the basic version ?  higher bias current maybe ?
I have the basic Magni 2 that I like. 
Thanks again,  gino

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #2,097 of 2,577
I think it's easy to get carried away with this stuff seeking perfection.

You start off simple with: "Do I need a headphone amp?" .Then you like it, so you think: "I like this so much, I wonder if I spend a little more....."  But from then on it's diminishing returns. There's a substantial increase in fidelity initially, then actually not so much.

I don't listen to music that much, but I do need more power for my higher ohm headphones, that sound better than my lower ohm ones (typically). (Actually, it's not clear cut as my K702 65th's are 64 ohms (I think), but actually need a lot of power, for my tastes)

But it's also fun to upgrade. Why not? the stuff is way cool 
biggrin.gif

Note: I have been gone from Headfi world for a while, and what's really new is Schiit. There was nothing like this 8-9 years ago. To get this quality for this price, and have it made in the USA? - unheard of. 

But if you can just buy a base model and call it a day, that's some savings. And honestly, I can't tell the difference that much. My iBasso d14 sounds really good and it's only 400mw into 32 ohms. Just is so much better than the crappy headphone sections they give you in todays gear. (they really screw you in this department it seems; made for $10 ear buds). Oh, and another thing, don't think any USB audio interface (like Focusrite, etc,) is going to help. I have quite a few of these type things and they are worse than anything; worse than an iPod, or even a computer.

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #2,098 of 2,577

Hi ! thanks a lot for the very interesting advice
Could you give some more details about the differences ?   I mean ... better bass ?  more transparent ?
Moreover I see that the two models use very different transformers with the Uber version drawing 3 times more current.  

Does it run hotter than the basic version ?  higher bias current maybe ?
I have the basic Magni 2 that I like. 
Thanks again,  gino

At 50 Ohms the Uber's headphone power increase is just 0.8 dB, nothing to lose sleep over. At any impedance the power differences are small when you calculate it in dB. Both have what is essentially a flat FR.  The differences in distortion are far too low for a human to perceive any difference.
The Uber has a nicer finish (cosmetic) and preamp outputs.

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #2,099 of 2,577
   At 50 Ohms the Uber's headphone power increase is just 0.8 dB, nothing to lose sleep over. At any impedance the power differences are small when you calculate it in dB. Both have what is essentially a flat FR. 
The differences in distortion are far too low for a human to perceive any difference.   The Uber has a nicer finish (cosmetic) and preamp outputs.

Hi ! thanks a lot for the very useful advice.
I have the basic Magni 2 bought here from a guy upgrading to a more expensive Schiit unit.  
I will check if there is a EU reseller to avoid customs. 
Thanks again,
gino 

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #2,100 of 2,577
At 50 Ohms the Uber's headphone power increase is just 0.8 dB, nothing to lose sleep over. At any impedance the power differences are small when you calculate it in dB. Both have what is essentially a flat FR.  The differences in distortion are far too low for a human to perceive any difference.
The Uber has a nicer finish (cosmetic) and preamp outputs.

My next voyage is to try to better understand what I'm hearing, in relation to design and engineering.

I agree with 90% of what you say - I also know I heard a difference between Magni 2 and Magni 2 Uber. The Uber does not tire my ears, whereas the regular did. I'm particularly sensitive to some sounds - like when the plasma TV has too much white, or a transformer starts to make sounds after being plugged in for a few years, or when the fridge turns on a room away, or the birds and insects start to get carried away with their chirping and buzzing outside.

There are many, more expensive amplifiers, I simply could not stand for long either - WA7 with the original solid state power supply, Audeze Deckard, Oppo HA-1. When I speak of liking the Magni 2 Uber, I mean this in relation to products such as the Schiit Ragnarok, Cavalli Liquid Carbon, DNA Sonett 2, Simaudio Moon NEO 230HAD, etc. There's simply a certainly cleanliness that I need to have first, before I can sit down to listen to something for many hours on end. The Magni 2 Uber has this. In my recollection, when I owned it the Magni 2 did not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back