*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Dec 30, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #1,442 of 2,577
  So

I can have this running at the same time.

1. PC > USB > Modi2u > RCA > Magni2u > Headset
2. PC > USB > Modi2u > RCA > Magni2u > Audio engine A2+ or A5+ (wouldn't this be double amped then? )
3. Sonos > Optical > Modi2u > RCA > Magni2u > Audio Engine ( Same question would this be a double amped issue? )

Would I have issues with the Audio engine being double amped? I game with headset and speakers. usually headset when baby is sleeping. I would if this set up will produce good sound for gaming.

No it's not double amped.  Magni only provides a line level output.  The Audio Engine itself has a built in amplifier.  Magni's output is enough for headsets.  Speakers require much more power (and in your case the amp is built into the audio engine).  This is a pretty standard setup.  I would set the volume on the audio engine to max and use the volume control on the magni as that should be better quality.  But you can test around (maybe 50/50) to see what gives you the better volume control flexibility and quality.  Needless to say, start with lower volumes so you don't blow out anything.  

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #1,443 of 2,577
  No it's not double amped.  Magni only provides a line level output.  The Audio Engine itself has a built in amplifier.  Magni's output is enough for headsets.  Speakers require much more power (and in your case the amp is built into the audio engine).  This is a pretty standard setup.  I would set the volume on the audio engine to max and use the volume control on the magni as that should be better quality.  But you can test around (maybe 50/50) to see what gives you the better volume control flexibility and quality.  Needless to say, start with lower volumes so you don't blow out anything.  

I have the bose companion 2 right now for my desktop speakers actually. Was considering grabbing the A2+ form audio engine since they are small, but is it worth the jump to the A5+?

Also since I am bypassing the motherboard for sound will it effect gaming sound. Or will I have a bump in gaming sound performance because of the Dac/Amp combo. I am sure I loose the surround effect.

Thanks for the help.

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,444 of 2,577
I have the bose companion 2 right now for my desktop speakers actually. Was considering grabbing the A2+ form audio engine since they are small, but is it worth the jump to the A5+?

Also since I am bypassing the motherboard for sound will it effect gaming sound. Or will I have a bump in gaming sound performance because of the Dac/Amp combo. I am sure I loose the surround effect.

Thanks for the help.

you will lose simulated surround sound but with good open headphones you can achieve the same if not better quality of positional sound.

Jan 1, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #1,445 of 2,577
If possible I'd like to hear your opinions before I pull the trigger on Schiit products.

I was wondering if the Magni 2 standard and Modi 2 Uber combo will do the job on the PS4?

I've been looking at different amp/DAC for PS4 exclusively for a while which, I was torn between getting a Schiit combo or other brand's amp+DAC (all in one) combo.
Unfortunately Schiit ceased their production on Modi opitcal where my only option was to buy their Uber version. Price-wise, I thought of getting a cheap DAC (something like FiiO D3) to pair with the Magni 2. However I don't mind spending a bit more for the same Schiit products if it benefits me in the long run.

As a result I'm torn between buying the schiit combo (standard and Uber mixed) or just buying the Magni 2 standard and getting a cheap DAC instead.

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #1,446 of 2,577
How well does the modi/magni 2 uber drive IEM's like the shure se846 and headphones like the Audeze LCD-2 and Hifiman he400i?

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #1,448 of 2,577
  How well does the modi/magni 2 uber drive IEM's like the shure se846 and headphones like the Audeze LCD-2 and Hifiman he400i?

the modi2\magni2 non uber works great with 400i.
plenty of power and enough current to drive them.
i play the HP on Lo gain.

oh, i also got the cheap LG IEM that came with my LG G3 and they work fine with it.
but you need to be on Lo gain and at almost no volume with the pot.

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #1,449 of 2,577
The general opinion is that Optical/SPDIF sounds "smoother"

USB is noisy and was never intended for audio but obviously it is still used. The Wyrd makes the biggest difference with the Modi 2 (USB powered only) than it does with the 2 Uber (Becuase its got its own wall power?)

so theres 2 options;

For USB, Modi 2 + Wyrd 
For Optical, Modi 2 U (cheaper)

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #1,450 of 2,577

I just plugged in my se846 and I wouldn't turn it past 9 oclock.  It's on the low gain setting too.  So yeah it's too powerful for the SE846.  Sounds great though.  The magni is definitely designed for headphones or slightly more power hungry IEMs.  

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #1,451 of 2,577
I've got a bit of money to burn so thinking about upgrading my setup.

I currently run a Fiio e11k from the line out of a xonar dx.

Will a schiiit stack be a decent improvement? Just the magni perhaps?

Worth going ultra on both or either?

Headphones are: soundmagic hp200, Beyerdynamic dt990 pro and ue6000.

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #1,452 of 2,577
Well my magni 2 must be really messed up or something because they have had it for over a week.

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #1,453 of 2,577
Well my magni 2 must be really messed up or something because they have had it for over a week.

It's also new years (and christmas) vacation time so it's just bad timing too.  
I've got a bit of money to burn so thinking about upgrading my setup.

I currently run a Fiio e11k from the line out of a xonar dx.

Will a schiiit stack be a decent improvement? Just the magni perhaps?

Worth going ultra on both or either?

Headphones are: soundmagic hp200, Beyerdynamic dt990 pro and ue6000.

I've used the xonar essence STX before, and I'd say the schiit stack is an improvement over that.  You only need ultra on the magni if you want preamp functions (meaning line outs).  I think there are other upgrades but that's the main difference.  The ultras do have a nicer finish too.  Look it up on their website.  Or you could just consider consolidating your hp collection and sell them to get a better headphone.  

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #1,454 of 2,577
It's also new years (and christmas) vacation time so it's just bad timing too.

I agree it was bad timing. I just miss the sweet smooth sound of my magni 2/ modi 2U!

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #1,455 of 2,577
I agree it was bad timing. I just miss the sweet smooth sound of my magni 2/ modi 2U!

I totally understand.  One of the best deals in the business and totally appropriate for desktop use.  The biggest shock for me was how small they really are in person, and finding the right fitting RCA ICs.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back