*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Aug 1, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #946 of 2,577
  i wasn't aware of any power plug issues with the modi, and as for heat, i've had the modi 1, and i currently have a modi 2 uber, it stays on all the time, and it's as cool as the underside of a pillow
now, the magni gets a little warm i know, could you mean the magni ?

i recall someone on this thread has a magni/modi combo, said it was overheating. I wondered at the time, how can a DAC overheat? So, yes, probably the Magni was the culprit.

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #947 of 2,577

Have you ever owned any of our products?

Not yet. I've heard the Asgard and Valhalla, though.

I'm after a really cheap DAC. I have a Marantz 8004 CDP in MBR, for HP only (with WA6 amp). It has a very good DAC, Cirrus-4398 with hi-res capability. I could hook up a Fiio X3 to its digi input for some hi-res playback out to WA6.

Was toying with whether en outboard DAC would improve SQ, for cheap. HPs get about 25% of my listening time, so I don't want to get a heavy-hitter. My UD-H01 DAC is in the den, again, only for HP listening with my Polaris.

It would be nice to have a cheap DAC with hi-res capability and a better chip than the Cirrus (not that it's bad). Looking at the Taishan Fiio D3. Tiny thing, and very cheap. Haven't heard it yet.

cheers

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #948 of 2,577
Evidently not

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #949 of 2,577
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 1, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #950 of 2,577

So 100% speculation based on non-current products? Just trying to clarify.

I've clarified my aims, and where future DACs might fit.

Not sure where the "speculation" is -- read my previous posts. The price points are out there for all to see. That's not 'speculation". I haven't described any sonic attributes of your DACs.

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #951 of 2,577
I am currently looking at getting a less portable bedside amp/DAC setup for my HD 600s/SRH1540s. My current setup is a Vamp Verza with an iPod Touch 5G as a source. Would the magni/Modi 2 stack offer me a significant boost over what I currently have?

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #952 of 2,577
I am currently looking at getting a less portable bedside amp/DAC setup for my HD 600s/SRH1540s. My current setup is a Vamp Verza with an iPod Touch 5G as a source. Would the magni/Modi 2 stack offer me a significant boost over what I currently have?

I replaced an iPod Touch with an iBasso DX90 and that change gave me more and better sound without touching anything else. Of course the Magni 2 Uber I added later helped as well, but your amp is only as good as the source of your music. Just my 64 cents (2 cents in adjusted 1976 dollars :)

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #953 of 2,577

Not sure where the "speculation" is -- read my previous posts. The price points are out there for all to see. That's not 'speculation". I haven't described any sonic attributes of your DACs.

Painting us with a very broad brush due to speculation about limited experience with non-current products isn't exactly fair--and, I believe that it's also against this site's terms of service. The implication of your original post is quite clear--that the name Schiit seriously means the product is ****.

As with you, we do not speculate on what you might hear, or how our gear compares to other products--however, please understand when I take a broad insult against our entire product line personally. Our line is much wider than you might suspect, if you haven't taken a look at it since the original Asgard/Valhalla days.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 1, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #954 of 2,577

Painting us with a very broad brush due to speculation about limited experience with non-current products isn't exactly fair--and, I believe that it's also against this site's terms of service. The implication of your original post is quite clear--that the name Schiit seriously means the product is ****.

As with you, we do not speculate on what you might hear, or how our gear compares to other products--however, please understand when I take a broad insult against our entire product line personally. Our line is much wider than you might suspect, if you haven't taken a look at it since the original Asgard/Valhalla days.

Fair enough, chief. My remark wasn't intended to offend. Apologies if it raised ire.

If your prods were really that bad, I wouldn't be enquiring here.

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #955 of 2,577

Not quite the Terms of Service, but the Posting Guidelines I wrote:

http://head-fi.org/a/posting-guidelines

Specifically:

Please don't recommend or post reviews of equipment you don't own or otherwise don't have a reasonable amount of familiarity with. You wouldn't recommend someone a car you've never driven or suggest someone live in a country you haven't been to, so recommending headphones and equipment you haven't owned or used is unhelpful. Even if you've seen the same comments about something from a dozen members, save discussion of that if you're intending to buy it yourself. Likewise, People use the reviews in the Head Gear section to decide what product to buy, and brief impressions or comments by people who don't own a product (or at least haven't had it in their possession for a sufficient amount of time) are unhelpful.  
Similarly, please avoid trashing equipment you haven't used or aren't familiar with. Having doubts about something you see in a design is fair enough, but to quote Robert Pirsig: "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." It is quite possible to derive satisfaction from listening with any audio gear as much from your appreciation of the design (whether how it looks or how it measures) as much as how it reproduces music. No method of appreciation is "wrong".

I wrote the second paragraph due to a trend towards products being trashed purely due to specs, parts used, or whatnot, but not from any genuine knowledge or experience standpoint. I think some of you guys are over-thinking about what has been posted though. 
smile.gif

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #956 of 2,577
@Jason Stoddard

Is with the Modi Optical vs Modi 2 Uber any difference if I only use the toslink imput (no need for USB at all)? And is there a way to get Uber Analog upgrade like which is selectable with the Bifrost, into the Modi Optical / Modi 2 Uber?

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #957 of 2,577
  @Jason Stoddard

Is with the Modi Optical vs Modi 2 Uber any difference if I only use the toslink imput (no need for USB at all)? And is there a way to get Uber Analog upgrade like which is selectable with the Bifrost, into the Modi Optical / Modi 2 Uber?

The Modi Optical is different than the optical section of the Modi 2 Über, if you do not need the additional components in the Modi 2 Über the Modi Optical will serve you well.

Afraid not on the Über upgrade, they are completely different parts, the analog and Über analog stage in the Bifrost is slightly larger than the entire Modi is and is only part of the overall system..

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #959 of 2,577
  Still waiting on restocking of optical modi 2. I've asked the them for availability which they said it will come out "pretty soon".

After months of waiting, it's still not available for purchase.

I'm guessing it's not really a priority, mainly due to this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/775189/welcome-to-the-schiitshow#post_11775398 

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #960 of 2,577
What I'm saying is:

I don't settle for hamburger, when I already have/can have, steak.

There is some real logic behind Schiit naming their brand "Schiit". I respect that. It's not tongue-in-cheek. :D
imo.

Not yet. I've heard the Asgard and Valhalla, though.

cheers
if i read a food review from someone who had a bite years ago and never actually been to the restaurant i would call that reviewer an idiot. See how silly what you posted that sounds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back