*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jul 23, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #886 of 2,577

I found just as many that don't. Why should they spend money to warranty and item you bought used. If you want a warranty buy new or even used from a authorized dealer. You rolled the dice and you lost lost. 

Go troll somewhere else. I don't understand how you think it's outlandish to expect warranty service on a product from a well regarded company that has a 2 year warranty and has been on the market for 7 months.

Did you actually try sending it in? If it is unmodded, I expect you'd get it back with no additional costs. 

No because I was under the (admittedly wrong)impression that it was under warranty. I was told I had to cover shipping and repair costs, I wasn't about to pay shipping both ways to learn an unknown repair cost amount.

I have no problem with someone explaining their issue, but this issues is of your own making. All of their marketing materials plainly state that their warranties are not transferable. So why are you so angry? They have in no way misled you. 

They have stood behind every product I have purchased from (and there are many). Give them a chance and they will impress you, come on here trying to bash them and you can expect some push back from the fan base. 

Actually not all of the marketing material plainly states it. The bottom of their main page says 5 year warranty, it's actually only 2 years. The warranty section on their website doesn't mention the non-transferable part either. Only once you check the PDF manual does it say it's not transferable. So not it's not clear. I contacted the guy I bought it from as well, he wasn't aware of that stipulation either and was just as surprised as I was to discover it.

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #887 of 2,577

You shouldn't have import fees under NAFTA. Only local taxes. 

I've read of totally mixed experiences with this, so it makes me a little nervous. I know I'll be responsible for local taxes, which is fine, and I suppose I shouldn't be paying duty on something manufactured in the US, but some people do seem to have been charged duty and/or brokerage fees (http://www.head-fi.org/t/591407/schiit-products-shipping-to-canada/30#post_9959506). If Canadian customs does charge me duties, I'm going to have a hell of a time contesting it. I know it's sort of bad form for me to compare your company with another, and I'm certainly not comparing quality of product or anything like that, so no offense meant, but if I look at something like JDS the Element vs. the M2U package, I can get the JDS for $429CAD in Canada with free shipping vs $436CAD for the M2U combo before dealing with the border. Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to come down to who has the distributor in Canada, which is not what should inform my decision as what I really want is the versatility provided by your products. I've read such wonderful things about the so-called Schiit stack, so it's a shame that adoption of the products is hampered by local availability. Ignoring this situation in particular, I'm shocked at how difficult it is for me to source quality audio products (other than the big name stuff) in a city as large as Toronto.

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #888 of 2,577

NAFTA is a joke, no such thing as "free trade". If you have an option, try having it shipped by USPS. Avoid UPS -- they charge these outrageous "brokerage fees".

I order equipment from the US for my lab, and there's always duty. Even on items costing just $100.

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #889 of 2,577
Talk about a troll LOL. You have been crying for 2 days over a warranty you did not buy. You saved yourself a couple of bucks instead of buying new and supporting a fine company. They more than stand by there products when bought from an authorized dealer and then some. I have no problem with legitimate  complaints but yours is full of SCHIIT.

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #890 of 2,577

NAFTA is a joke, no such thing as "free trade". If you have an option, try having it shipped by USPS. Avoid UPS -- they charge these outrageous "brokerage fees".

I order equipment from the US for my lab, and there's always duty. Even on items costing just $100.

I do a lot of importing for my lab as well. One huge problem is the Canadian de minimis level on imports, which is a ridiculous $20. My fear with ordering the Schiit stack is that Canadian customs is going to ignore the fact that it's US manufactured and charge me duty on it, then FedEx (which is the cheapest shipping option from Schiit) is going to apply their brokerage fees so by the time it gets to my door, I might as well have just bought one of the more expensive devices which are available in Canada.

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #891 of 2,577
   then FedEx (which is the cheapest shipping option from Schiit) is going to apply their brokerage fees so by the time it gets to my door, I might as well have just bought one of the more expensive devices which are available in Canada.

Brokerage FedEx should be no more than $10. You might wanna check CAM as well. If you can live without the warranty (no big deal, for me).

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #894 of 2,577
I just thought I most post this for those who have been concerned about the stack getting hot.  I haven't tested this out extensively so take it with a grain of salt.  The other night I had my note 4 connected to the modi 2 uber and i fell asleep.  Now when i woke up I touched the top of the magni 2 uber and it was pretty hot.  Hotter than its been before.  Its never got that hot connected to the pc at least through the toslink cable.  I'm checking right now by playing thru usb from the computer.  The thing that I did notice was that the modi also was very warm which was never the case connected to the pc at least thru toslink.  Modi as of now playing for about 30 minutes thru usb from pc is still room temp.  I connected the note 4 using usb A male to usb b male cable which was connected to an otg cable.  I'm using that same A to B cable to connect to the pc.

What I'm trying to get across is that perhaps in some cases the modi will heat up and contribute to the overall heat of the stack making the magni pretty hot to the touch.  I don't stack the two anymore.  Perhaps those had questions or concerns about their stack heating up might want to check this out for themselves.  I could just be full of schiit haha and just imagining stufff but the modi is definitely cooler attached to the pc and as a result the magni stays cooler as a result.  This is with them stacked.

Also the phone never popped up the charge symbol though i would not expect it.

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #895 of 2,577
  What I'm trying to get across is that perhaps in some cases the modi will heat up and contribute to the overall heat of the stack making the magni pretty hot to the touch.  I don't stack the two anymore.  but the modi is definitely cooler attached to the pc and as a result the magni stays cooler as a result.  This is with them stacked.

Also the phone never popped up the charge symbol though i would not expect it.

I'm surprised that a DAC like Modi would be heating up, more so than the amp (Magni)?

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #896 of 2,577
I have the magni and modi 2 stack, I find that the magni would heating up with use, but the modi stays cool all the time.

Jul 25, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #897 of 2,577
*First post, new to this HI-FI stuff*

Just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD650 and waiting for em to arrive, after "only" owning a pair of headset from Sennheiser I bought for $140 some 5 years ago.
A few weeks ago I didn't even know I had to get an Amp/Dac :xf_eek:
After loking around at warious prices and brands I ended up on the Schiit site after dismissing the Dragonfly.(I like a clean setup)
I started off by looking at the high end gear but but gradually got further down to a more reasoneble price point, and am now looking at the Magni 2 Uber and the Modi 2 Uber with their USB Pyst and RCA Pyst cables to go with it.
But then I tumbled upon this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/775189/welcome-to-the-schiitshow#post_11775398
And now I'll have to wait for over a whole month to see what my cans can do cause I hate to get their Amp/Dac if something even better comes out, maybe even a all in one Amp/Dac in about the same price range as the Magni and Modi combo, but maybe they're only releasing products at a higher price range.
It's still $50 cheaper to order directly from their US($400) store than from their Europe($450) store, but not sure how much the Tax will be, the shipping is from $50-$70(included into the $400 price)
I guess Schiit Europe is only a distributor, too bad they just change the $ to the € without changing the price point, and in this case the price on the € is even higher. 
I'll look on the bright side, When I receive my cans, all I can do is hook em directley into my iMac, so I know that when I finally get an Amp/Dac I'll be more then happy with the sound improvements :p

Jul 25, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #898 of 2,577
I think Magni/Modi 2 uber is a good starting point in this hobby. I too started with Magni/Modi 2 and I am still using them until now. Very happy with price/performance of these amp/DAC combo. 

Jul 25, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #899 of 2,577
I'll look on the bright side, When I receive my cans, all I can do is hook em directley into my iMac, so I know that when I finally get an Amp/Dac I'll be more then happy with the sound improvements :p

First off welcome to Head-Fi . . . . .

Now, I would suggest buying the Magni/Modi 2Ü stack for your iMac. I HAD too. As much it is excellent hardware for your computing needs,mint doesn't hold up for sound. I found I couldn't get enough sound out of mine, before it started distortion in the playback.
The moment I hooked up my Magni2Ü, I moved the volume to just over half way on my iMac, and now I can really turn the volume up on the AMP. Because I was so impressed with the AMP, I immediately bought the Modi2Ü to accompany it.

You want be disappointed. I was using my Grado 325emwith it, and I couldn't now go back to not having a AMP/DAC setup on my computer.

Jul 25, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #900 of 2,577
@ TattooedMac: Thxs! :)

I'll put in an order for that combo on August the 15th, unless Schiits announcement is a new improved Amp/Dac over the Magni/Modi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back