*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Apr 29, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #498 of 2,577
Okay, so on the magni 2u, are the pre-amp outputs controlled via the volume knob? Also, if I have headphones plugged in, will it output to just the headphones, or to the headphones and the speakers?

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #499 of 2,577
Okay, so on the magni 2u, are the pre-amp outputs controlled via the volume knob? Also, if I have headphones plugged in, will it output to just the headphones, or to the headphones and the speakers?

One at a time. Unplug your headphones and the preamp out gets the music. Plug in the headphones and the preamp out goes silent. Yes the volume knob controls the volume of the preamp out.

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #500 of 2,577
One at a time. Unplug your headphones and the preamp out gets the music. Plug in the headphones and the preamp out goes silent. Yes the volume knob controls the volume of the preamp out.
Holy Schiit this is exactly what I want, exactly. Also, how does the volume knob do at low volumes? I had the Magni 1 and it had horrible channel imbalance.

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #501 of 2,577
Holy Schiit this is exactly what I want, exactly. Also, how does the volume knob do at low volumes? I had the Magni 1 and it had horrible channel imbalance.

No imbalance on mine with HP or IEMs. Hi or low gain any vol is all good.

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #503 of 2,577

No imbalance on mine with HP or IEMs. Hi or low gain any vol is all good.

This seems to vary. I'll check when I get mine, but I know other people have reported having normal levels of imbalance (for these kind of amps).

Officially, Schiit says that they expect imbalance, but that it shouldn't persist above 8 o'clock.

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #504 of 2,577

I MUST thank you one more time! The MPB out is way better with micro details and soundstage than E10K's. The sound is more open and bass tighter. 
It sounds SO FREAKING GOOD through Magni 2 Uber on my X2 and DT770. I can't barely describe it. I'm re-listening some records and I'm really blown away.
Sound in general improved. Everything is smoothed and neutral. 

Interesting.  That makes me wonder if a dedicated DAC is needed with a MacBook Pro?  I was considering ordering a Magni/Modi combo, but I also wonder if I'll hear the difference of the DAC...

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #505 of 2,577
Interesting.  That makes me wonder if a dedicated DAC is needed with a MacBook Pro?  I was considering ordering a Magni/Modi combo, but I also wonder if I'll hear the difference of the DAC...

I would say yes. I felt the difference changing from E10K, which is a warm device with a narrow soundstage and highs not that detailed. I'm pretty sure that modi2 will give you more air and detail.

May 1, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #506 of 2,577
Hi,
i have a question regarding Shiit Stuff (obviously).
First of all i'm new to the whole DAC, AMP, Desktop Monitor thing. My Setup consists of an ESI Prodigy and a dt 770 pro. So no fancy external boxes yet :D

I wanted to buy the ****stack with the normal Magni and Modi to improve my listening experience. But i came across the situation that I may want to buy speakers sometime, so i need to think of an solution before just wasting money and being disappointed.

If i want to use speakers and heaphones should i buy the Magni Uber and connect the speakers to the preamps or should i buy the SYS and the normal Magni instead?

tl,dr:   Modi ---->Magni Uber ----->speakers+headphones or Modi----->SYS----->Speakers and Modi------>Magni------>Heaphones

Because the price would be similar and i would use the 50 Dollars for either Uber or SYS.

and would i need active speakers for the uber preamp and the sys? 

thanks in advance and please excuse my school english :D

May 1, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #507 of 2,577
  Hi,
First of all i'm new to the whole DAC, AMP, Desktop Monitor thing. My Setup consists of an ESI Prodigy and a dt 770 pro. So no fancy external boxes yet :D

I wanted to buy the ****stack with the normal Magni and Modi to improve my listening experience. But i came across the situation that I may want to buy speakers sometime, so i need to think of an solution before just wasting money and being disappointed.

If i want to use speakers and heaphones should i buy the Magni Uber and connect the speakers to the preamps or should i buy the SYS and the normal Magni instead?

tl,dr:   Modi ---->Magni Uber ----->speakers+headphones or Modi----->SYS----->Speakers and Modi------>Magni------>Heaphones

Because the price would be similar and i would use the 50 Dollars for either Uber or SYS.

You would have a more compact setup if you went with the Magni 2 Uber. You would also have one less potential point of failure.

You would need powered speakers.

May 1, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #508 of 2,577
Hi,

Get the Magni 2 Uber, it's a little better of an amp as well, one box instead of 2 also, you need powered speakers or a speaker amp + regular speakers.

May 1, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #509 of 2,577
ok thanks. Didnt want to have three devices if i could have 2 :wink:
as you said, one less potential point of failure and if the quality is similar or even slighty better its clear which to choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back