*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jul 21, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #872 of 2,577
  I have my laptop plugged into a Magni 2 Uber, would I get much improvement buying a Modi 2 Uber.
Headphones are Sennheiser HD650, not blown away by the sound at the moment.
Or would I be better off buying a good cd player as a source component?
Thanks for any feedback.

Not sure if its the headphones or the setup, just checking if its the Dac in my laptop holding them back

Best way to see if you need the Modi 2 Über is to play the highest quality song that you have on your PC. Then listen carefully, and in the quiet sections of the song, see if you can here noise. If you can, then its a fair bet that a DAC will be of some use too you.
I know from my 27" iMac, when I played Neil Diamonds Hot August Night, when I just had the Magni 2 Über hooked in, I noticed a little background noise, and when I finally received my Modi 2 Über, it was less so, and I had to actually listen to hear any, and it wasn't there.

Put it this way, in your PC there is a DAC, and because the PC maker, made it to compute 1's and 0's and not really sound, it would be a fair bet that it has low end components. Schiit make a DAC for 1 purpose and thats to convert Digital to Analogue, so their components are of higher quality, and for my reasoning, a better DAC than what is in your PC . . . . 

Getting a DAC though, isn't  going to suddenly make your HP's 'Blow You Away', but at the end of the day, I bought the Schiit Stack, to get the best sound possible to run through my Grado SR325's and soon GS1000's

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #873 of 2,577
  It will work just fine. You made the most important first choice, a great pair of headphones. Now get ready for all of the advice to spend a fortune on DACs and Amps.

Thanks, I've been reading a lot into it and DACs + AMPs get really expensive. Unfortunately for the moment i have a budget but later on will look into a more expensive DACs and Amps.

I have narrowed my price range to the JDS Labs "The Element" or the Schiit Stack. 

I found the Magni rather harsh-sounding with my HD800's. I actually prefer a Fiio E10k, but I have nothing "objective" to support that.

Edit: Also, consider a Centrance Dacport if you can find one for less than $200. I think there's one in the FS forum here.

Thanks Riverlethe, I will have a look at the Centrance Dacport. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #874 of 2,577

Best way to see if you need the Modi 2 Über is to play the highest quality song that you have on your PC. Then listen carefully, and in the quiet sections of the song, see if you can here noise. If you can, then its a fair bet that a DAC will be of some use too you.
I know from my 27" iMac, when I played Neil Diamonds Hot August Night, when I just had the Magni 2 Über hooked in, I noticed a little background noise, and when I finally received my Modi 2 Über, it was less so, and I had to actually listen to hear any, and it wasn't there.

Put it this way, in your PC there is a DAC, and because the PC maker, made it to compute 1's and 0's and not really sound, it would be a fair bet that it has low end components. Schiit make a DAC for 1 purpose and thats to convert Digital to Analogue, so their components are of higher quality, and for my reasoning, a better DAC than what is in your PC . . . . 

Getting a DAC though, isn't  going to suddenly make your HP's 'Blow You Away', but at the end of the day, I bought the Schiit Stack, to get the best sound possible to run through my Grado SR325's and soon GS1000's

Thank you for the detailed reply.
I've an old HD-DVD play I thought I try just for fun.
First thing I notice is the headphones go to a much louder level than though the laptop. Need to do some longer listening before I make up my mind, but first impressions are good. Still not feeling the music but as I've come from speakers, may not be possible unless I spend much more on phones.

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #875 of 2,577

Thanks, I've been reading a lot into it and DACs + AMPs get really expensive. Unfortunately for the moment i have a budget but later on will look into a more expensive DACs and Amps.

I have narrowed my price range to the JDS Labs "The Element" or the Schiit Stack. 

Thanks Riverlethe, I will have a look at the Centrance Dacport. 

This is where I'm at as well. Debating between the modi/combo or JDS the Element. I'm in Canada, so with import fees and exchange, the Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 Uber combo is going to be more expensive than the JDS, which I can get here without import. Because it's so difficult to get my hands on this stuff, I sort of have to buy them and test them without being able to go somewhere to test them out. I'm currently using the Fiio E10k and I'm wondering about what the difference in sound would be. I've read that the magni can rub some people the wrong way, whereas the JDS is going to be pretty neutral. I should say that I'm using HD650s at the moment. I also wonder if there is a benefit to buying the separate DAC and amp for future upgrades since the JDS is all in one or simply an improvement because of the versatility of the Schiit stack. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #876 of 2,577

Well most items sold period don't have transferable warrants. Your talking about a $300 DAC/AMP not a car. Also most manufactures don,t mention it. Common knowledge.

Just to add. I randomly picked half a dozen amp manufactures like woo, fiio and some other. So far all that have replied have transferable warranties. So do some research before you spout off about stuff you think you know.

Bottom line... Schiit doesn't stand behind their stuff.

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #877 of 2,577
  This is where I'm at as well. Debating between the modi/combo or JDS the Element. I'm in Canada, so with import fees and exchange, the Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 Uber combo is going to be more expensive than the JDS, which I can get here without import. Because it's so difficult to get my hands on this stuff, I sort of have to buy them and test them without being able to go somewhere to test them out. I'm currently using the Fiio E10k and I'm wondering about what the difference in sound would be. I've read that the magni can rub some people the wrong way, whereas the JDS is going to be pretty neutral. I should say that I'm using HD650s at the moment. I also wonder if there is a benefit to buying the separate DAC and amp for future upgrades since the JDS is all in one or simply an improvement because of the versatility of the Schiit stack. 

Soundwise, either way you should be fine. What would worth the price or not are the extra features (coax, toslink,rca on modi2u, e.g.). I've switched from E10K to m2u combo and separation is better, soundstage is better, highs are better. bass is tight and fast. (Bass on E10K was more bloated and impactful). 

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #878 of 2,577

Actually, that's incorrect. We 100% stand behind our products, according to the terms of our warranties, which are clearly spelled out on the site and in the downloadable owner's manuals.

Yes, our warranties are not transferrable from the original owner. Why? Because if you buy second-hand, we don't know the condition the product is in--it may be good, it may be bad...or it may be modded. We get an astounding amount of modded gear back for "warranty" service, and the mods are usually the cause of the service. It isn't fair for us to have to figure out what the mods are, de-modify the product, return it to serviceable condition, and re-ship to the customer under the terms of the warranty.

And, of course, we always service out of warranty products. Usually at no cost if they are unmodded and within the original warranty period. Ask around, and I'm sure you'll find some people here who have had second-owner (or fifth-owner) products serviced at no cost.

Look a little deeper, and you'll also find people who were in a bind and clearly not covered by warranty (spilling orange juice in an Asgard 2, a cat throwing up in a Valhalla--you can't make this up) where we were able to fix the product at no charge. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 23, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #879 of 2,577

Just to add. I randomly picked half a dozen amp manufactures like woo, fiio and some other. So far all that have replied have transferable warranties. So do some research before you spout off about stuff you think you know.

I found just as many that don't. Why should they spend money to warranty and item you bought used. If you want a warranty buy new or even used from a authorized dealer. You rolled the dice and you lost lost. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #880 of 2,577
This is the kind of customer service I look for! Totally understand non-transferable warranties. I would be sold on the M2U combo if it weren't so damn hard for me to get my hands on it here in Canada. I'm gonna get killed on import fees and no Canadian shop seems to sell the more entry level stuff. I'm shocked that no one here in Toronto seems to stock them. My best bet is either buy from a different company with distribution here or ship it to someone in the US and go pick it up next time I'm down there (likely not until October). 

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #881 of 2,577

Actually, that's incorrect. We 100% stand behind our products, according to the terms of our warranties, which are clearly spelled out on the site and in the downloadable owner's manuals.

Yes, our warranties are not transferrable from the original owner. Why? Because if you buy second-hand, we don't know the condition the product is in--it may be good, it may be bad...or it may be modded. We get an astounding amount of modded gear back for "warranty" service, and the mods are usually the cause of the service. It isn't fair for us to have to figure out what the mods are, de-modify the product, return it to serviceable condition, and re-ship to the customer under the terms of the warranty.

And, of course, we always service out of warranty products. Usually at no cost if they are unmodded and within the original warranty period. Ask around, and I'm sure you'll find some people here who have had second-owner (or fifth-owner) products serviced at no cost.

Look a little deeper, and you'll also find people who were in a bind and clearly not covered by warranty (spilling orange juice in an Asgard 2, a cat throwing up in a Valhalla--you can't make this up) where we were able to fix the product at no charge. 

i'm one of the folks who's sent in second hand schiit products , in fact, twice, once the repair cost was next to nothing, and one was nothing, and they shipped it back at no cost to me.
i have bought several new products from schiit, and several used, and have so since they first got started , right now i'm using a magni 2, and and a modi 2 uber, and very content, and i've had some high dollar gear before, and it's gone, i'll stay with schiit !

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #882 of 2,577
  This is the kind of customer service I look for! Totally understand non-transferable warranties. I would be sold on the M2U combo if it weren't so damn hard for me to get my hands on it here in Canada. I'm gonna get killed on import fees and no Canadian shop seems to sell the more entry level stuff. I'm shocked that no one here in Toronto seems to stock them. My best bet is either buy from a different company with distribution here or ship it to someone in the US and go pick it up next time I'm down there (likely not until October). 

You shouldn't have import fees under NAFTA. Only local taxes. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #883 of 2,577

I contacted Schiit directly. They asked when I purchased the unit from you guys. I said I purchased it a few weeks ago from someone on here and I supplied the serial number. It was working fine up until the day I opened the support ticket. They told me the warranty wasn't transferable so I had to pay shipping to and from you guys and cover all repair costs. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #884 of 2,577

I contacted Schiit directly. They asked when I purchased the unit from you guys. I said I purchased it a few weeks ago from someone on here and I supplied the serial number. It was working fine up until the day I opened the support ticket. They told me the warranty wasn't transferable so I had to pay shipping to and from you guys and cover all repair costs. 

Did you actually try sending it in? If it is unmodded, I expect you'd get it back with no additional costs. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #885 of 2,577

I have no problem with someone explaining their issue, but this issues is of your own making. All of their marketing materials plainly state that their warranties are not transferable. So why are you so angry? They have in no way misled you. 

They have stood behind every product I have purchased from (and there are many). Give them a chance and they will impress you, come on here trying to bash them and you can expect some push back from the fan base. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back