*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jul 21, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #856 of 2,577
I found the Magni rather harsh-sounding with my HD800's. I actually prefer a Fiio E10k, but I have nothing "objective" to support that.

Edit: Also, consider a Centrance Dacport if you can find one for less than $200. I think there's one in the FS forum here.

What about the Magni makes the HD800 sound harsh? Its FR is flat, distortion far below what we can perceive and it can drive the HD800 to loud levels. Subjective determinations can be very tricky.

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #857 of 2,577
I just wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue... 

It turns out the warranty for these isn't transferable. I purchased an Uber stack from a user here about 3 weeks ago. The USB section of the DAC just died yesterday, I figured no problem and Schiit will take care of it under warranty. Modi has a 2 yr warranty and these hardly been on the market for 6 months. Well I was wrong because the warranty is only for the original purchaser. I never saw mention of this on the website, it's only mentioned in the product manual. Highly disappointed, I certainly won't be purchasing any more products from them.

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #858 of 2,577
What about the Magni makes the HD800 sound harsh? Its FR is flat, distortion far below what we can perceive and it can drive the HD800 to loud levels. Subjective determinations can be very tricky.

Indeed. Too bad we don't have someone to perform extensive objective measurements.

Edit: I would like to see a measurement of crossover distortion.

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #859 of 2,577
Indeed. Too bad we don't have someone to perform extensive objective measurements.

Edit: I would like to see a measurement of crossover distortion.

This is not a Class B amp so don't expect this to be an issue. If there was crossover  distortion it would show up as part of the existing distortion specs which as I stated is far below what we can perceive.

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #861 of 2,577
Class AB does not elimiate crossover distortion. Where do you see measurements at "low" output?

That's true about low level measurements. Thing is if there is any in a good AB, then the levels will be so far below as not to be perceptible. I haven't heard crossover distortion in an amp in decades.

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #863 of 2,577
This is a pretty retro design, isn't it?

What is retro the Magni or a simple Class B. By the way crorssover distortion still occurs at higher levels in a Class B, just that it's much smaller relative to the signal. In this case the signal still has to cross the bias thresholds, it just takes less time due to the magnitude of the signal.

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #864 of 2,577
What is retro the Magni or a simple Class B. By the way crorssover distortion still occurs at higher levels in a Class B, just that it's much smaller relative to the signal. In this case the signal still has to cross the bias thresholds, it just takes less time due to the magnitude of the signal.

But it gets masked by the THD, right? Avoiding op-amps is pretty retro. Maybe I have trust issues. :p

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #865 of 2,577
But it gets masked by the THD, right? Avoiding op-amps is pretty retro. Maybe I have trust issues. :p

I would think that it adds to the THD. Why would avoiding Opamps be retro? That's just another design choice. I also have an Asgard 2, is that retro because it's Class A? I think there are many designs choices that when executed well will sound just fine. Maybe you worry too much. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #866 of 2,577
I would think that it adds to the THD. Why would avoiding Opamps be retro? That's just another design choice. I also have an Asgard 2, is that retro because it's Class A? I think there are many designs choices that when executed well will sound just fine. Maybe you worry too much. :D

Possibly, but I still like my Dacport better (also class A). :cool:

I believe in measurements, but feel that they're usually too incomplete to be meaningful.

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #867 of 2,577
  I just wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue... 

It turns out the warranty for these isn't transferable. I purchased an Uber stack from a user here about 3 weeks ago. The USB section of the DAC just died yesterday, I figured no problem and Schiit will take care of it under warranty. Modi has a 2 yr warranty and these hardly been on the market for 6 months. Well I was wrong because the warranty is only for the original purchaser. I never saw mention of this on the website, it's only mentioned in the product manual. Highly disappointed, I certainly won't be purchasing any more products from them.

Well most items sold period don't have transferable warrants. Your talking about a $300 DAC/AMP not a car. Also most manufactures don,t mention it. Common knowledge.

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #868 of 2,577

Well most items sold period don't have transferable warrants. Your talking about a $300 DAC/AMP not a car. Also most manufactures don,t mention it. Common knowledge.

In my experience this has not been the case for small companies. If I buy something from Sony or similar I assume that the warranty is not transferable and mostly useless. But with smaller companies they usually stand by their products in my experience. My fault for not reading their warranty information before making the purchase. A mistake I surely won't make twice. The Modi will likely go in the trash, not worth my time and money considering it's $150 unit and I have to pay shipping both ways plus unknown repair costs. I'll just sell the Magni.

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #869 of 2,577
I have my laptop plugged into a Magni 2 Uber, would I get much improvement buying a Modi 2 Uber.
Headphones are Sennheiser HD650, not blown away by the sound at the moment.
Or would I be better off buying a good cd player as a source component?
Thanks for any feedback.

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #870 of 2,577
I have my laptop plugged into a Magni 2 Uber, would I get much improvement buying a Modi 2 Uber.
Headphones are Sennheiser HD650, not blown away by the sound at the moment.
Or would I be better off buying a good cd player as a source component?
Thanks for any feedback.

You might prefer different headphones. The HD650's aren't exactly "wow" headphones, although they may grow on you more for what they DON'T do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back