Official Progressive Metal Thread (Metal/Djent/instrumental/jazz/fusion)
Jan 21, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #76 of 548
New Soen album "Lotus" out February 1st. I think it will be good!

Soen - Lotus

Soen - Martyrs

New video for VOLA - Whaler

The Neal Morse Band - Welcome To The World 2

+ some older ones that I like a lot:

DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - Deadhead (Live at Royal Albert Hall)

Leprous - The Price

Great post man. I listen to every one of these bands. Love Devin Townsend. His vocals are just outstanding and there’s no one else that can sing like him....just a natural.
I Didn’t know Soen had another album coming out in about a week. Very cool!

It’s looking like most of us all listen to the same stuff. Loving the thread so far. Just need to keep it up.

Little story. I posted in the prog rock thread so skip this is you already read it. Probably the best concert I’ve ever seen (and I’ve seen lots. Let’s just say the guys in Leperous are younger then my kids lol) was A band called Bent knee, then Leperous and headlining was Haken. It was in a venue that had a capacity of 350 people, packed in like sardines. Up VERY close and personal.
If you’ve never seen leperous or Haken live, you must. leperous sounds EXACLTY like their studio recordings and put on a great show. Haken had some issues with their back up vocals (pretty bad actually) from the band and a bit strained with their singer, but God can these guys play. Their musicianship is 2nd to none.
Hope they come back to Phoenix.

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #77 of 548
I think this band will be BIG! Their debut album is coming next month.
And they sound so good! They are "WHEEL" from Finland.

Wheel - Vultures

Wheel - Where The Pieces Lie

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #78 of 548
I think this band will be BIG! Their debut album is coming next month.
And they sound so good! They are "WHEEL" from Finland.

Wheel - Vultures

Wheel - Where The Pieces Lie

Hell yeah. Nice find. Speaking of, how did you find this band? They kinda have a Soen/Tool vibe goin on but they definitely have their own style. Looking forward to their release. Good Schiit man!

Jan 22, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #80 of 548
Hell yeah. Nice find. Speaking of, how did you find this band? They kinda have a Soen/Tool vibe goin on but they definitely have their own style. Looking forward to their release. Good Schiit man!

They were recommended by Youtube on the right side list. But I don't remember exactly what I was watching. I think it was Soen or Distorted Harmony.

+1 on "wheel" - very good find. so far, it contains about every aspect of music I love! Can't wait for this album, sounds very promising. Great vox, musicianship, and writing. wow.

Yes! they're very good. I think they stand out from the crowd of similar bands. I like the way they alternate heavy dark riffs with melodic passages. Very well structured.
http://www.wheel.band/

I see they already have two EPs on Spotify. Here's one from "The Divide EP"

Wheel – Please

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #81 of 548
Two new ones from Dream Theater's Distance Over Time:

Dream Theater - "Fall into the Light"

Dream Theater - "Untethered Angel"

Since I'm sure everyone's seen these videos already, I want to hear what everyone thinks about them. Personally, I think "Untethered Angel" is great and I'm glad to see them returning to form. Reminds me of some Systematic Chaos. "Fall into the Light," on the other hand, is boring to me, and makes me really miss Portnoy. Mangini is just phoning it in on this one.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #82 of 548
Band: Michael Romeo
Album: War of the Worlds Pt.1
Track: Fear the Unknown

My first contribution to this thread - expect many others :metal:, but this really impressed me if you're into Symphony X. This is perhaps even better orchestrated with a more driving and focused (catchy) hook/chorus. The singer, is exceptional. And then of course there's Michael Romeo on guitars. Bass guitar tone in to die for too! The MQA version is available on Tidal FYI. Synth/Dubstep metal? Is it possible? Check out track 4 "F*cking Robots" for that trippy riffin.

Jan 23, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #83 of 548
"Untethered Angel" is great and I'm glad to see them returning to form. Reminds me of some Systematic Chaos.
oh yeah, it sure does. It also has a "Muse-like" arpeggiated feel to it. Production on this is outrageous (listening to the 16/44 version right now on Tidal). Despite being compressed to all hell, it's still good. I like how they set the vocals back deep with large room reverb - hides some of the Labrie-ness of typical dream theater. Also, you can really hear Myung's bass clearly here. I've always thought he was pushed waaaay to far back in the mix in their older stuff.

"Falling into the Light," on the other hand, is boring to me, and makes me really miss Portnoy. Mangini is just phoning it in on this one.

The intro is "forced badass" (if that makes sense), the verse is monotonous - but the chorus is interesting. I like it for that. The bridge in 5/4 is familiar, but well done nonetheless. It's followed by a nice melodic section I really liked - prior to the keys solo. And Mangini's toms (tone and production I mean) sound so awesome in this song I am at a loss for words. You gotta give it that much.

Overall, I have to say i'm impressed and looking forward to the whole album. Thanks for the share!

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #84 of 548
@koover - get's props (and a digital high five :raised_hand:) along with the obligatory 'like' for posting Akribi. Never heard of them before - gave their album "Anima" a little listen tonight. Cringed a little bit at the lyrics and pronunciation :confounded: but I'm inclined to forgive it with such great vocal harmonies and soaring emotional hooks. this is getting catapulted right to the top of my downloaded content. the instrumentation and orchestration is boss (and that's absolutely in no way a nod to Springsteen)

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #85 of 548
This is a very good band that put out 1 album. It's a concept album. If you care for this song, it's worth checking out. I enjoy the hell out of the entire album.

Beyond the Bridge: The Call

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #88 of 548
Black Orchid Empire - My Favourite Stranger

Darkwater - Alive (Pt. II)

Skyharbor - Dim

A classic one! Very powerful song:
Textures - Awake

Earthside – A Dream In Static feat. Daniel Tompkins

This is not really prog metal but worth listening:
VAST - Touched

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #89 of 548
Black Orchid Empire - My Favourite Stranger

Darkwater - Alive (Pt. II)

Skyharbor - Dim

A classic one! Very powerful song:
Textures - Awake

Earthside – A Dream In Static feat. Daniel Tompkins

This is not really prog metal but worth listening:
VAST - Touched

We have VERY similar tastes in music that's for sure. I really like Black Orchid Empire (never heard them before) and especially their sound. Well mixed too. Earthside?....I wore that entire album out the past few years. Every song is epic. I'm hoping they weren't a 1 album and done band. Daniel Tompkins is the man singing as a guest on their album, in Skyharbor and TesseracT. Also love Darkwater and Skyharbor. Good stuff bro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back