Official New York Spring Meet Sat June 10 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #46 of 280
I think I missed that one? I don't remember seeing the mighty Tyll.

My problem is, how to transport my rig. I put everything into a rack all with top clamped trays with the intent that I can roll it out of the apartment building where it lives in NYC, put on its side in the back of the wagon, where everything is firmly affixed and stays in place, so that I can bring it to a meet like this ... but the damn thing is now too heavy to lift up stairs, or roll up a ramp, or lift up to put into the back of the wagon without risk of serious damage to the bumper. :/

So as long as this meet doesn't land on the same weekend as the Big Apple BBQ (as filling my belly with BBQ from pitmasters that come from all over the country takes precidence -haha!) I may just attend as a spectator carrying a travel rig. Tho considering buying a travel case too, to carry just the NAD M51 dac, Perreaux TC2 tone control, and McIntosh MHA-100 amp.

That looks like an incredible setup! I guess you need a crazy amp to run those hungry planar magnetics. Looks like you could run an ultrasound scan if you wanted to haha 
biggrin.gif

Looks like you will have to recruit a young blood to lift that thing, seems as heavy as an old CRT TV.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #48 of 280
@bozebuttons good to see you at CanJam a few weeks back!!!

I'll be there for this one - looking forward to it.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 24, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #51 of 280
HiFiMAN will be at this meet. My colleague Angel Resto will be there. By then, Edition 6 and RE2000 will be finished and by then, may even have something else to show. 

Very kewl! RE2000? I see I haven't been paying attention again.

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #52 of 280
  @bozebuttons good to see you at CanJam a few weeks back!!!

I'll be there for this one - looking forward to it.

It was also great to talk to you & meet your wife Zach,your table was super busy , 

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #53 of 280

HiFiMAN will be at this meet. My colleague Angel Resto will be there. By then, Edition 6 and RE2000 will be finished and by then, may even have something else to show. 

Looking forward to hearing the final production units.

Vendor & members list updated.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #54 of 280
Missed Canjam. Going to definitely try to make it to this one. Woooot.

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #55 of 280
It sure is nice to see so much activity on this thread! Makes me even-more excited about my trip this June.

Several days ago I just finished my personal "Music Addition Project of 2017, Phase 1," where I added a lot of Western-world pop and dance music that came out in the last 4 1/2 years...to my music collection. (I made a long, detailed post about it here on Head-Fi at this link.)

So, on my upcoming trip to the U.S., hopefully I won't be too-much "in the dark" about the latest good pop and dance tunes from the Western world in recent years.
cool.gif

Anyway, at the meetup, I was wondering if anyone will have an exhibit with some mannequin heads (with earlobes shaped like a human's), which have sound sensors planted inside the mannequin ears that are hooked up to a PC. Attendees could put their headphones on the mannequin and play music, and the computer screen would show you the specs of the sound that your headphone system puts out.

It'd be a really awesome display to have at a Head-Fi meetup, that's for sure.

Heck, for my headphone system with the custom settings I designed, and with the way I listen to it, the mannequin's sound sensors would probably show something like a "whopping" 3% distortion, a mere 30 dB of dynamic range, and the un-flattest response curve you've ever seen. But yet, it's the sound signature that suits me best.
atsmile.gif

Well, I kept this thread "entertained" by posting a song every few weeks when the thread was mostly dead. But I'll go ahead and post a link to one of my newly-added tunes from my recent music addition project.

It has French and English lyrics, and is the song "Je Te Pardonne" by Maitre Gims & Sia.

Amazing tune. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #57 of 280
Guys, I think I have gone insane. Just pulled the trigger on a Stax SRS-3100 (thank god for paypal 6-month financing). I hope you guys will get to check it out at the meet.

Can't wait myself...
I have a Koss ESP-950, could be interesting to compare (have to put it back together, still apart from the last meet I brought it to in Philly area).

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #58 of 280
Can't wait myself...
I have a Koss ESP-950, could be interesting to compare (have to put it back together, still apart from the last meet I brought it to in Philly area).

Yes, I would love to compare them. I have always liked Koss's customer loyalty and lifetime warranty (I used like 4 times on my clip-on's
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I feel I will be a bit screwed if the Stax amp breaks on me. Their warranty is for 1 year and japan only 
ph34r.gif
. I will have to baby these things haha 

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #60 of 280
Anyway, at the meetup, I was wondering if anyone will have an exhibit with some mannequin heads (with earlobes shaped like a human's), which have sound sensors planted inside the mannequin ears that are hooked up to a PC. Attendees could put their headphones on the mannequin and play music, and the computer screen would show you the specs of the sound that your headphone system puts out.

It'd be a really awesome display to have at a Head-Fi meetup, that's for sure.

Hate to be the wet blanket. But I don't think the setting, one large room filled with people enjoying themselves and talking about their gear as loudly or louder than they listening to them, lends itself to this.

This -was- a reality at CanJam NYC the other week. I had several headphones measured several times with different pads for compare and contrasts of the pad's effects in the Audio Prevision room. They were in a private room well isolated from the main ballroom. And any time any measurement sweep was about to start, an announcement was made so that those in the room having a conversation could pause and provide as much silence as could be had.

I do not believe there is an 'annex' room in this meet's room that could provide the isolation from the noise of the meet room's floor that would be required to provide meaningful measurements. There are bathrooms, and a kitchen, and a hallway to the bar. I don't recall other rooms off the main room. Bozebuttons could say for sure tho.

With that said, while I don't have the head, I do own a Terrasonde Audio Toolbox 3c which I could bring; but only if an 'annex' room exists to provide silence for meaningful measurement results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back