Official K-81 DJ thread
Jan 20, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #1,996 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anyway to make these less painful on the earlobes without velour pads?

Yes, you can stretch the headband. Check back a couple of pages for some insight.

Jan 20, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #1,997 of 2,661
I just got these cans in the mail yesterday and I'm really digging them. I listened to them all day at work and between classes today. They're really fun to listen to, offer the perfect amount of isolation for my daily needs, and despite the fact that I have a big head I find them to be very comfortable. I'm going to let them burn in a little bit more before I start thinking about modding them at all, but blu-tak seems easy to do and recabling them with shorter cable would definitely make these my primary portable cans (although I have some Vibes coming my way also, but they won't be here for a couple more weeks... stupid Amazon free shipping, I should have just paid the $5 and I'd probably have them by now
tongue.gif
)

Jan 20, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #1,999 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by biermagnaat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanx i will consider it! you're verry helpfull
smily_headphones1.gif

is here anyone who paired the k81dj's with a ldm?

Yep.
They go quite nicely, Tighter bass and clearer highs as well as a larger soundstage.

I prefer them with my K81DJ's because I love the warm sound. But it depends on your preferences.

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #2,000 of 2,661
I can add nothing but this. Let them burn in good. I wanted to throw them out the window until i had about 10 hours on them. They began to wake up about there.

At about 30 hours now, and the drums and samples in Pink Floyd are really messing with my head after a bong rip or two. The staging and imagery are really coming together now. Definition is a nice balance of musical and clarity. Really alive sounding, I know this is said over and over, but it's mostly due to the balance on the 2k+ side I feel.

That said, I'm running a 2-3db kick in the EQ in this range, but the presence is there even at flat. I just like my highs 3 notches back of sizzle. I love those hat cymbals and snares. I may have to roll this back if it fatigues me too bad.

These cans love Fender Stratocasters. Maybe a few of you will know what I mean, but that's the only way I can put it.

Jan 20, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #2,001 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypergolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can add nothing but this. Let them burn in good. I wanted to throw them out the window until i had about 10 hours on them. They began to wake up about there.

At about 30 hours now, and the drums and samples in Pink Floyd are really messing with my head after a bong rip or two. The staging and imagery are really coming together now. Definition is a nice balance of musical and clarity. Really alive sounding, I know this is said over and over, but it's mostly due to the balance on the 2k+ side I feel.

That said, I'm running a 2-3db kick in the EQ in this range, but the presence is there even at flat. I just like my highs 3 notches back of sizzle. I love those hat cymbals and snares. I may have to roll this back if it fatigues me too bad.

These cans love Fender Stratocasters. Maybe a few of you will know what I mean, but that's the only way I can put it.

DAMN!!! SECOND POST AND THE 2000ST!!!!! in this topic!
icon10.gif

congrats mate!
eggosmile.gif

Jan 21, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #2,003 of 2,661
Just a question about K81DJ's build

How sturdy is the connection of the headband to the 2 earcups?
I think the K81DJ swivels the cups 180 deg, so you could listen only to one cup(one ear dj mixing or something). the hinge-swivel connection seems so small for such big and seemingly heavy ear cups.

This, coupled with the fact that K81dj's clamp around your head tightly, makes me worry that the weakest point in its structure is the connectivity of the headband and the earcups

Looking at preview pictures, I can see a 2-point swivel-hinge mechanism
the hinge that flaps the earcups upward-inward, and upward-outward, looks to be connected to the headband on a very thin lock.

The swivel that turns the ear cups sideways look a lot sturdier than the hinges. so no problem with that.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, i think that the K81DJ also collapses inward like the K26/4P, so you could keep them in the storage bag(also provided?)
like this:
http://www.headphonereviews.org/head...eadphoneId=131

so, combining all of these, you have a seemingly weak 2-point swivel-hinge mechanism; tight clamp on the head, and constant collapsing for storage, and unfolding for listening

question now is, how long would you give the K81DJ, until the earcups break off from the headband?

edit:::
biermagnaat - It's "2,000th" not "2,000st"

Jan 21, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #2,005 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wooowwww
2000+ threads, 160000+ views...

Anyway, I just pulled a trigger on the Panasonic RP-HTX7. Some mentioned that HTX7 are K81 killer. I had to see this one myself.

Related thread found: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...asonic+RP-HTX7

if that it is the k81 killer ithink that i would have alot of killing to do!!!! lol
very interesting.......specially the price, 1/2 of our beloved k81s

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #2,006 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when i saw the inside of the k81s when some one posted a pic while doing the blue tak mod i saw that the hinge is as long as the earcup itself, they are placed all the way in so they should be pretty sturdy.

so, the hinge is on the actual bar that you pull in/out to adjust the headband, if your head is bigger/smaller?

if so, that's good news for people with smaller heads, since if you dont pull it out, there will be less tension in that area...

however, these hinges *pictured-yellow* seem to be connected to the headband/adjustable band on a small area.

0020120081_1479.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatality_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Argh, my K81s just broke.. the 3d-axis thing between the headband and the cups snapped in two.. and i cant find any glue
mad.gif

this is what I'm talking about

3d-axis? is that what AKG calls it?
hehehe... the term i chose sounded a lot cooler... and more techy
"2-point hinge-swivel mechanism"

Jan 21, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #2,007 of 2,661
*i know its a double post, but this is a completely different topic*

[size=medium]
K81DJ - on Ipod mini battery life[/size]

how much faster does it drain an ipod mini?
is there a general consensus on this?

how much would using this affect the battery of an ipod?
are we looking at a good 30 minutes from a total of 4 hours play?
are there charts/graphs that shows the effects of using these headphones vs. the ordinary apple earbuds?

Jan 22, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #2,009 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by KinesongPayaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, the hinge is on the actual bar that you pull in/out to adjust the headband, if your head is bigger/smaller?

if so, that's good news for people with smaller heads, since if you dont pull it out, there will be less tension in that area...

however, these hinges *pictured-yellow* seem to be connected to the headband/adjustable band on a small area.

0020120081_1479.jpg

this is what I'm talking about

3d-axis? is that what AKG calls it?
hehehe... the term i chose sounded a lot cooler... and more techy
"2-point hinge-swivel mechanism"

the k81 should be able to take much abuse..........wat were u doing with thoose hinges???? can u post some pics of ur broken pair............if everything fails akgs have 2 year warranty right?????

Jan 22, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #2,010 of 2,661
yeah, they feel quite sturdy to me, I couldn't imagine them breaking without quite some abuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back