Official K-81 DJ thread
Aug 1, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #1,021 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Totally agree with this. But the trade off for me usually isn't worth using IEM's. My Senn HD25-1's isolate well enough to be used on all but the longest/loudest plane flights, and the sound is SOOO much better than the similar priced UM2's I had until they broke.

I have ordered a pair of K81's to see what the fuss was all about and will compare them to my HD25-1's.

please do. i'm looking for those two for quite some time now. the only reason i'm holding is because of the weather.

Aug 1, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #1,023 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC
Alright, I'm buying these. Now I'm wondering if it's worth amping. I wont have line-out anyway...

KevC,

You don't HAVE to amp them to be able to listen and enjoy them. I can run them straight out of my iPod and get good sound However, amping them will bring out more of their good qualities, and lessen their poorer ones.

How ever you decide to use them, you'll enjoy them.

Aug 1, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #1,024 of 2,661
I'll be buying these 'phones within a day or two, where should I look for the best deal/decent shipping? I'm in the US, and am planning on ordering them online. Please help me out here. TY
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #1,026 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis712
I'll be buying these 'phones within a day or two, where should I look for the best deal/decent shipping? I'm in the US, and am planning on ordering them online. Please help me out here. TY
smily_headphones1.gif

Its been posted in the thread 1000 times. Go to ebay and go to the Fascination Products store. Make a best offer for $55 on the phones and you'll get them. If they are out of stock go to www.buy.com

Aug 1, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #1,027 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII
KevC,

You don't HAVE to amp them to be able to listen and enjoy them. I can run them straight out of my iPod and get good sound However, amping them will bring out more of their good qualities, and lessen their poorer ones.

How ever you decide to use them, you'll enjoy them.

Agreed, the bass is still surprisingly punchy when un-amped. Amping just gives the sound a bit more body and clarity in the upper end.

Aug 1, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #1,028 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
Its been posted in the thread 1000 times. Go to ebay and go to the Fascination Products store. Make a best offer for $55 on the phones and you'll get them. If they are out of stock go to www.buy.com

most likely tho they won't be out of stock....

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Fascin...576777QQsofpZ0

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #1,030 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick
Agreed, the bass is still surprisingly punchy when un-amped. Amping just gives the sound a bit more body and clarity in the upper end.

Awesome. Then I've decided I don't want a portable amp. Away from home I wouldn't be doing any critical listening anyway. I just want it to be punchy and present while on the MTR. When I'm in the library, I'll want to be concentrating on studies rather than music so K81DJ unamped is the way to go for me.

I could always try plugging her into my tube at home =)

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #1,032 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by murrmax
Anyone tried them with different amps?

For portable, I use them regularly with my PA2v2. Compared to the stock iPod output, they have even better bass response, and more relaxed presence.

Put it this way, if you ever hear decent speakers, and you feelsome of the bass rather than just hear all of it, it's a little like that. The bass 'happens' rather than just an audible event. It's an improvement.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #1,033 of 2,661
I've been listening to my AKG's for a while now, and so I decided to try my Koss KSC75 and my Sennheiser CX-300's again.

First up I tried some comparisons between the K81DJ and the KSC75. I actually have not compared any of my budgetphones because I was so enthralled by the K81DJ's sound. Anyway, the KSC75 did sound good still, but it still didn't seem as refined in the upper register and as punchy in the lower register as the K81DJ. Besides that, I was reminded of how leaky they are versus the K81DJ. Always a plus not to leak much sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now it was my Sennheiser CX-300's turn up at bat. I put these little sluggers into my ears, and immediately noticed the hiss from my bad source that wasn't as emphasized on the K81DJ. Then I turned some music on. HOW HORRIBLE IT WAS. I could not stand listening to my music for more than 10 seconds before being disgusted. I wondered how I could've ever have appreciated the CX-300's. My ears are so in tune with the K81DJ now that the CX-300 sounds flat, closed in, and almost a bit grainy. I guess I dealt with them because they were my only closed option at the time, but now there's the K81DJ. Sure as heck not as portable, but sounds so much better.

Now it looks like it's going to be the KSC75 for exercise and the K81DJ for home or portable use, if I'm going to need it to be isolated somewhat, because I can't seem to stand the CX-300's sound anymore.
frown.gif

Seems like I'll use the CX-300's when I feel like my K81DJ's don't sound as good anymore. That way, after the torture of the CX-300, I'll be happy again with my K81DJ.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:39 AM Post #1,034 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai
I can't seem to stand the CX-300's sound anymore.

Same with me and the EP630s. Even before getting the K81 and the MS1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back