Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 8, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #1,592 of 10,664
Noob here.
My 80gb iPod classic died.
Replaced battery, still dead.
Assuming it is the hard drive.
I want it to operate as before using iTunes.

Will this KingSpec work? http://www.amazon.com/128GB-KingSpec-1-8-inch-40-pin-Controller/dp/tech-data/B007PR5EOI/ref=de_a_smtd

It doesn't say if it is 3.3 or not.

Assuming it will work, do I just switch hard drives and plug it in it ITunes?
That's it, nothing more?

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,593 of 10,664
Noob here.
My 80gb iPod classic died.
Replaced battery, still dead.
Assuming it is the hard drive.
I want it to operate as before using iTunes.

Will this KingSpec work? http://www.amazon.com/128GB-KingSpec-1-8-inch-40-pin-Controller/dp/tech-data/B007PR5EOI/ref=de_a_smtd

It doesn't say if it is 3.3 or not.

Assuming it will work, do I just switch hard drives and plug it in it ITunes?
That's it, nothing more?

Can you define "died" please? 

If the hard drive has died it should power up and tell you there's been an error, if this had happened I don't see why you'd have replaced the battery so I think your problem is worse than a dead drive.

Sep 8, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #1,594 of 10,664
By "died", I mean it I picked it up from the desk.
Everything was as if it was turned off.
Messed with it, no response at all.
Replaced battery.
Still unresponsive with blank screen.
iTunes will not recognize it.
Screen is blank
Completely dead

Sep 8, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,595 of 10,664
By "died", I mean it I picked it up from the desk.
Everything was as if it was turned off.
Messed with it, no response at all.
Replaced battery.
Still unresponsive with blank screen.
iTunes will not recognize it.
Screen is blank
Completely dead

If you changed the battery and you get no response, that looks very bad indeed. Is your battery connector on the board accidentally unsoldered? Are all the contacts properly soldered?

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #1,596 of 10,664
Did you try to reset it?

• Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
  • Press and hold the Play/Pause and Menu buttons simultaneously until the Apple/iPod logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #1,597 of 10,664
Did you try to reset it?

• Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
  • Press and hold the Play/Pause and Menu buttons simultaneously until the Apple/iPod logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

With his description I seriously doubt he can perform those operations, it sounds and feels like a lack of power which no matter how you'll try to reset, it won't do any good.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #1,598 of 10,664
Yes no power whatsoever.
When I replaced the battery, the old one was bloated in the middle.

Have you ever heard of a new battery being bad?
Should I see if the vendor will give me a new one?

Everything seems soldered properly.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #1,599 of 10,664
Here it is
null_zps9c5afe4f.jpg

null_zpsd2a68c45.jpg

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #1,602 of 10,664
If you got a hard drive problem only you should be still able to turn on the unit and likely get the sad face . So no I don't think the hard drive is the problem.

Try a new LCD, and if that won't work take apart everything and reassemble. Make sure all the ribbon cables are connected good.

If with all these exercises nothing works, then I would tend to believe the board is dead.

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #1,603 of 10,664
I agree with DMinor, all of those would eventually give you a go or no go. The only element left, and it happened to me, a click wheel that is unresponsive will not be able to turn the unit on but that would require you got a spare one that you know works.

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #1,604 of 10,664
If you got a hard drive problem only you should be still able to turn on the unit and likely get the sad face . So no I don't think the hard drive is the problem.

Try a new LCD, and if that won't work take apart everything and reassemble. Make sure all the ribbon cables are connected good.

If with all these exercises nothing works, then I would tend to believe the board is dead.

But even if the LCD was bad, it would still show up in iTunes when I connect to the computer right?
It is not doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back