Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 7, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #1,201 of 10,664
Quote:
Tried the mSATA adapter and none of the iPods like it, on the iPod 6th generation all I got was a red X and on the 5.5th it showed a sad face and then turned off.

Tried it using both a 24gb mSATA card and a 256gb mSATA with the same results.

I have available the adapter and 24gb card I can mail it to anyone that would like wants to try them on his iPod.

Edit -  Tried the 24gb mSATA card with the 5.5th gen iPod and this adapter  the iPod accepted it, connected it to iTunes and restored then after done and working fine I went ahead and did the RockBox installation, the iPod rebooted and got this same error on the screen like other guys are getting with the 256gb card.  So this means that the card size have nothing to do with the error, maybe the mSATA to zif adapter is the problem here?

I contacted the seller of the adapter  and I didn't know that there were two types of zif connectors.

This is his response:

"Sorry for delay to reply you.
Whether theindicator light is work on the item when you plug into the 5t.5th gen iPod video ?
Maybe you give me the picture of zif connecter in the ipod video,because there are 2 kind of the zif connecters for zif SSD on the market as the attached picture.
So far,No one had used the item to the ipod video.
Best regards."

May 8, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,202 of 10,664
Just got this email from Torne at RB regarding mSATA drives and the 5.5g ipod. So it looks like progress is being made.

"Sorry for taking so long to get around to this, but I have good news: it looks like it may work if you change one of the PP5020 core's mystical IDE timing registers to a different meaningless number. :) Unfortunately it hangs on USB insert and I'm not sure that's even related.. I need to poke it some more.

We're not entirely clear on why we use the value we use now, as it's not the one the OF uses. The OF's value seems to make your drive work fine. I'm gonna do some more tests and see what the best thing to do about this is to fix it going forward (we may want to just adopt the OF's timings, but they are slower than what we use now)."

May 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #1,203 of 10,664
Wow this is encouraging news and I can't wait to get a 256GB or even a 512GB  msata and rockbox the baby and be done with it. Thanks Crashtack for sending your ipod to Torne and being patient. You are doing the community a great favor!

Edit:

BTW, can any of you guys show a pic with the mSTAT and adapter installed? I would like to see if the space left is able to accommodate a pair of caps. Thanks.

May 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #1,204 of 10,664
Quote:
Wow this is encouraging news and I can't wait to get a 256GB or even a 512GB  msata and rockbox the baby and be done with it. Thanks Crashtack for sending your ipod to Trone and being patient. You are doing the community a great favor!

Edit:

BTW, can any of you guys show a pic with the mSTAT and adapter installed? I would like to see if the space left is able to accommodate a pair of caps. Thanks.

Here you go.

May 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,206 of 10,664
Quote:
Thanks a lot Cmarti. Perfect and plenty space for internal caps. Wow I am excited and ready for a 256 GB or 512GB mSATA ipod powered by Rockbox.

Did you see my post about the mSATA to zif adapter?  They offer have two types of zif connectors.  Please look at the picture and tell me if yours is type 1 or type 2.

May 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #1,207 of 10,664
Quote:
Did you see my post about the mSATA to zif adapter?  They offer have two types of zif connectors.  Please look at the picture and tell me if yours is type 1 or type 2.

Oh sorry. If you recall, I mentioned in my post here about the two types. Probably it doesn't matter since you have tried the adapter and it didn't work. Also this adapter is larger leaving no space for caps.

May 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #1,208 of 10,664
Quote:

Oh sorry. If you recall, I mentioned in my post here about the two types. Probably it doesn't matter since you have tried the adapter and it didn't work. Also this adapter is larger leaving no space for caps.

I totally missed your post. 
tongue_smile.gif

Mine didn't worked but it was a type 2, the one that should be used for iPod is the type 1.

May 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #1,210 of 10,664
Hey Everyone,

WOW this is alot to read, but I did it. so here's my question and some background.  I have been tinkering with gadgets and electronics for years, I am no stranger to flashing ROM or F/W.  My first mod was on an HTC Touch Pro 2 so...yeah: winmo, android, ios...I understand the risks and potential for damage.

I have an iPod Classic 7th Gen 120GB Slim (according to: http://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=2c5)

There is an 'unusable' rockbox that I think I can handle http://www.head-fi.org/t/532426/ipod-classic-rockbox-its-happening (I think they tagged it as such so people who don't know what they're doing don't mess around with it). 

If I get the Tarkan adapter, and either: one of the CF cards known to work (128gb seems to be max so far & but more reliable), or can find an SDXC (the 256gb mentioned seems to be discontinued and no update on if the 600x will work but they're far too expensive anyway). 

I should be good to go right? I don't care about whatever the 'caps' are, and I can wait for the mSata to be more stable and come down in price. Am I missing anything?

-Circuit

May 12, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #1,211 of 10,664
Quote:
Hey Everyone,

If I get the Tarkan adapter, and either: one of the CF cards known to work (128gb seems to be max so far & but more reliable), or can find an SDXC (the 256gb mentioned seems to be discontinued and no update on if the 600x will work but they're far too expensive anyway). 

-Circuit

[size=10pt]I just did the CF card mod on an iPod mini 2nd gen, also did the mod by using the SD to CF adapter and the SD to CF adapter is super slow but once the music is loaded in the iPod the menu and functionality seems to be normal.[/size]

[size=10pt]Now I own an iPod mini 2nd gen with 64gb (was 4gb from factory)  [/size]

[size=10pt]The SD option is a lot cheaper, the 128gb SDXC card is selling for $83.00 at CompUsa right now.[/size]

May 12, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #1,212 of 10,664
Quote:

[size=10pt]I just did the CF card mod on an iPod mini 2nd gen, also did the mod by using the SD to CF adapter and the SD to CF adapter is super slow but once the music is loaded in the iPod the menu and functionality seems to be normal.[/size]

[size=10pt]Now I own an iPod mini 2nd gen with 64gb (was 4gb from factory)  [/size]

[size=10pt]The SD option is a lot cheaper, the 128gb SDXC card is selling for $83.00 at CompUsa right now.[/size]

I wonder if you have a link to the actual SD to CF adaptor you used - I would really like to give this mod a try.

Cheers,

Andy

May 12, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #1,213 of 10,664
Hey everyone,
a few days back, the 160 gig Harddrive of my 5.5 DIY mod failed... (clicking of death...) since then, i switched back to the old stock 30 gig drive....
anyways, now i want to upgrade to 256 GB SSD but i just don't know wich way to go... AFAIK there are two options: First is the Super Talent Duradrive ZT2 256GB (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004CAQ8SC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=12X1J8MC2JACTYC8EWCD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375173&pf_rd_i=301128) 'bout 250 Euros, so kinda offordable BUT as far as i know, rockbox does NOT work with these... ( nore sure though, correct me if i'm wrong!)
so i might try out the ZIF to mSata adapter (10€) and a Crucial M4 256GB mSata ssd ('bout 200€), with this option it would leave more room in the Ipod aswell (maybe enough to fit Caps inside?)

so yeah, is anyone using either of the two and can confirm it works? thanks! (and how about rockbox support?)  

May 12, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #1,214 of 10,664
Quote:
I wonder if you have a link to the actual SD to CF adaptor you used - I would really like to give this mod a try.

Cheers,

Andy

I used this one but after some research last night found that this is a fake and maybe, just maybe that's the reason why the transfer speeds are so slow.

The recommended one is this one. But then again the one I am using works fine in the iPod as far as music playing and file browsing operation goes so I plan to keep it.

May 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #1,215 of 10,664
Quote:
 ZIF to mSata adapter (10€) and a Crucial M4 256GB mSata ssd ('bout 200€), with this option it would leave more room in the Ipod as well (maybe enough to fit Caps inside?)

so yeah, is anyone using either of the two and can confirm it works? thanks! (and how about rockbox support?)  

I am using the ZIF to mSATA adapter on my 5.5th gen iPod, works great and transfer speeds are excellent.  RockBox is not working with our drives yet but the RockBox team is working on getting this figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back