Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jun 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #317 of 10,664
You need to use the 580mah because of the back cover, the 850mah one only fits if you have in your iPod one of the "fat" back cover that normally comes with the 80gb iPod. 
Quote:
i want to modify my 5th gen ipod video 30gb using ssd 128gb.. if i use the ssd 128 gb which battery capacity i must use..? 580mah or 850mah..?

tx ^^

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #319 of 10,664
Guys just for curiosity, did someone already tested a mod with a double battery build (yes i know it wont fit in the chassis) and had a good ,infinite playtime?
I read -almost- the whole thread but not sure someone did it.By the way nice thread ,i was thinking in waiting the new Itouch (probably launched September), but, at last i realize i don`t need it cause i just worry about music... 

Edit:now i have read it trough it all,and it seems no one did this experiment.the only thing i found is there ,but not with an ipod classic or video 
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1358820

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #320 of 10,664
Actually, a double battery mod would fit if one went the ZIF to flash card adapter route... Strictly space management talking.

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #322 of 10,664
Thank You!
In those last weeks i was really thinking about to get an DIY imod for myself,i am probably finding the Imod my perfect mp3 player.The only problem is my location..

But at most i am not totally concerned about my own ability to make a proper work, and i will take this train to ask to you most experienced fellow how hard is for we non-expert to install a 240 hdd and eventually the craziness to install an huge battery replacement,if it requires a skilled soldering ability..i am going to make a deeper research ,specially some tutorial.

Edit:i found a lot of threads and tutorials,and , to be honest, i will have to take a lot (but a LOT) of practise ,don`t know if will be able to do it by myself , maybe is time to find someone who can do it for me,at a reasonable deal, Red Wine Audio not for sure !!
biggrin.gif

Salute

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #323 of 10,664
Quote:
iPod Classic 7g 160 with SuperTalent 256GB SSD: I tried the same combination to no avail.

Tried dropping the raw drive in and got the big red X.
Tried formatting in the PC to FAT32 - still a big red X.

Unit would not enter disk mode in either instance.

I already had a plan for what to do with the SuperTalent drive if things did not work out and turned it into supplemental storage for my tablet.

In the interim, I am going to try the (painfully expensive) 240GB Kevlar drive because:
1) The problem may (or may not) have been with power, and the Kevlar has tighter specs and lower power needs
2) The problem may (or may not) have been with the capacity, since 240gb seems to be an upper limit on the larger units anyway.
    (I had hoped to merely "lose" 16GB and have 240GB usable with the SuperTalent drive).

It will be a while before my wallet recovers from the last experiment, however - so it will be a couple of months before I try this again.

Ok - so I did try again with the Renice K3VLAR drive. No joy. Same results. I'd say that at least the larger SSDs are unlikely to work in the Classic 7G. (Someone else can try the others)

Meanwhile, I modded both of my Classic 7G units with Toshiba MK2431GAH units (Traditional 1.8" PATA ZIF drives) with no issues. Had to switch out the back too, of course.

At least now I can carry around my lossless collection on two units with some room to spare. Sounds great with the Arrow 4G and a set of LiveWires 3-ways.

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #324 of 10,664
Whew, thank you so much for posting that! I was days away from pulling the trigger on the K3E as well...

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #329 of 10,664
^ There was a PhotoFast CR-7200 adapter that takes 4 microSD cards in RIAD0 and coverts to compact flash card pin output. The you can use a Tarkan adapter (CF to 1.8" PATA ZIF) to use in iPod.
The problem is though, I could not find that PhotoFast adapter anymore online. PhotoFast Taiwan still lists that in the product page of their company website.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #330 of 10,664
Quote:
^ There was a PhotoFast CR-7200 adapter that takes 4 microSD cards in RIAD0 and coverts to compact flash card pin output. The you can use a Tarkan adapter (CF to 1.8" PATA ZIF) to use in iPod.
The problem is though, I could not find that PhotoFast adapter anymore online. PhotoFast Taiwan still lists that in the product page of their company website.

Wow, that's some serious looking thing! If it would take SDXC, imagine 4x128GB in RAID0... 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back