Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 16, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #10,426 of 10,664
Custom made iPod case:

1639660437399.jpeg

Dec 16, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #10,428 of 10,664
Yes leather with a flap on the back. I am really happy with it. I was getting sick of silicone ones!

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #10,430 of 10,664
Dear community,
It’s been a while since I have been here.
As many of you, I often had problems with file corruption in I flash Quad and rockbox.
That’s why I used the simulator to build the database, somebody here gave me the tip. But yesterday I tried with a new rockbox Developer Version, it worked on the iPod itself. Just wanted to let you know.

And I also have a question for you. Did anybody use a 1TB micro SD Card ? I have two iPods with 2*400+2*200 and I would like to change one of the 200gig cards with a terabyte, that would give me a 2 TB Ipod. Please let me know, if anyone had good results with a 1 TB microSD, and if so, what card/brand exactly?
Thank you

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #10,432 of 10,664
Actually I have 2 Golden SanDisk ea 1 TB in my Ipod 5.5 installed in a quad adapter from Tarkan. It works flawless. Adding more than 2 TB seems to be impossible (according to Dankpods: ). So I have not tried with more cards.

Thanks for that information. I will try to purchase 1 terabyte micro SD card. Although I really do not need it, I will still have the chance to incresse the bitrate of my m4a lossy files -)
As somebody else said, I hope that one day rockbox will be able to read more than 2 TB, and Tarkan will create an eight slot microSD device, that way I would not have to create a lossy mirror of my flac files.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #10,433 of 10,664
Going beyond 2Tb would require Rockbox to be rewritten to support exFAT, and the impression I have from comments on their forum is that that would be a lot of work and seems fairly unlikely to ever happen.
I did wonder if it could be achieved in some other way, maybe if Tarkan adaptors could somehow present the iPod with separate disks rather than one single one? But I really don't know much about it, maybe the ipod's hardware cant accept that?

Has anyone tried the Amazon budget "own brand" 1Tb micro SD card? That seems to be currently the cheapeast 1Tb micro SD that they sell. I've succesfully used a couple of other brands of 1Tb cards before, but have yet to try that one. Really, given the 2Tb limit, there's not much point using cards larger than 512Gb, as you can hit the limit with just those, and they are cheaper per-Gb than the 1Tb cards.

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #10,434 of 10,664
Has anyone tried the Amazon budget "own brand" 1Tb micro SD card?
I have one of these installed on a Sony NWA-55. It is working perfectly with about 600 Gb of music on it.

They were on sale for £89 on Black Friday if I remember well.

Jan 2, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #10,435 of 10,664
Actually I have 2 Golden SanDisk ea 1 TB in my Ipod 5.5 installed in a quad adapter from Tarkan. It works flawless. Adding more than 2 TB seems to be impossible (according to Dankpods: ). So I have not tried with more cards.

I scan-watched that video (with subtitles only) and it didn't seem to tell me anything new. Don't understand why he was even trying to use it with the original firmware. The directory-size limitations are well-known now, surely?

Also don't know what he was going on about at the start with all that about 'why would I put anything valuable on there' - who the heck uses a portable flash-based device as archive or unique storage for music files? You have the files on your PC (plus backed up on external drives and/or blu ray disks or in the Cloud) and only put them on the ipod to listen to when out-and-about, not as your only copy.

I have a few in the region of 1.4Tb - 1.8Tb (with various combos of card sizes), and they all work perfectly well. Wouldn't even consider attempting to go beyond 2Tb because of the FAT32 limitation

Though I am a bit curious if the 2Tb limit applies to the pre-formatted, pre-iFlashoverhead size, or to the total size after that - i.e. is there any benefit to going to slightly over 2Tb in raw pre-formatted size?

(I notice he also doesn't mention testing any of the cards with h2testw, so maybe the 1Tb cards he seemed to say don't work at all were fakes?)

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #10,436 of 10,664
Argh. Bought a brand new memory card, and _still_ this iflash/ipod combo won't work. Still get corruption if I try to copy anything to it.

Seems to be that either this iFlash is faulty, or there's something freaky about my PC, and in particular its USB connections. Last attempt will be to get another iFlash and try that.

Getting back to this - I bought another iFlash Quad and the cards and ipods I had worked perfectly with it. It's up and running and synched. Really does seem like that particular iFlash I was struggling with (the one with the weird shiny patch on the underside) was simply faulty. Trying to figure out how to get a refund for it.

Jan 8, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #10,437 of 10,664
Long time no here. Lost interest in collecting more or modding for many years. That said, I have been using many of the ipods I have collected and modded. I think I have three 7th gen classic's and rest are diyimods for the 5.0 or 5.5 gen's. At home I use one with dock to my sound system, three wired to portable amps then to the sound system. In my car one for ipod player and another goes to AUX.

Attachments

• IMG_E0205_web.JPG
    IMG_E0205_web.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #10,438 of 10,664
I just purchased 2 more iPods, I think I am addicted.
I live in France, i ordered one Iflash quad from UK and I had to pay custom taxes. Are there any Tarkan iflash sellers in EU? I need two more quad boards, maybe someone here would like to sell me those?

Jan 14, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #10,439 of 10,664
Going beyond 2Tb would require Rockbox to be rewritten to support exFAT, and the impression I have from comments on their forum is that that would be a lot of work and seems fairly unlikely to ever happen.
I did wonder if it could be achieved in some other way, maybe if Tarkan adaptors could somehow present the iPod with separate disks rather than one single one? But I really don't know much about it, maybe the ipod's hardware cant accept that?

Has anyone tried the Amazon budget "own brand" 1Tb micro SD card? That seems to be currently the cheapeast 1Tb micro SD that they sell. I've succesfully used a couple of other brands of 1Tb cards before, but have yet to try that one. Really, given the 2Tb limit, there's not much point using cards larger than 512Gb, as you can hit the limit with just those, and they are cheaper per-Gb than the 1Tb cards.
I just purchased a 1 TB Amazon basics microSD card, I did a test with it, and actually it is faster than my 400 GB Grey SanDisk Micro SD cards. I have this 1 tb Amazon, 2*400 and 200 SanDisk in a quad. Restoring the iPod worked perfectly, I rockboxed it, and now I am filling it with music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back