Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Aug 1, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #10,366 of 10,664
This is awesome! How would you describe the difference in sound quality when compared to the original parts?
I have only tried headphone out so far.. (after 100 hours of burn in). The differences are not day and night. Slightly smoother across the spectrum and punchier bass compared to stock.

Update:
I updated to beta version of rockbox, they are more stable compared to 3.15 for quad sd i flash...

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #10,368 of 10,664
Do you know the problem with 3.15 & the iflash quad? I just built my 1st quad and haven't had a problem with the 3.15 version yet.
Actually, I have an iflash dual that I put the beta version on many years ago. Still working fine.

All versions of Rockbox (but less so the most recent development versions) have problems with writing to iFlash storage. Something to do with the ATA driver not being written with that kind of storage in mind, so the timings are not right, or something, I gather. Shows up when syncing tracks to it - if you do it with the device in rockbox mode it tends to make errors, sometimes very obvious, causing skipping and other problems with playback, or even a corrupted file system, sometimes it seems more subtle only showing up if you do a hashing/fingerprint comparison between the tracks before-and-after writing to the ipod. Also can show up when you try to create the database, because that also involves writing to the drive. That's why I build the database with the simulator on the PC.

Personally I found fewer problems with the quad than with the dual iFlash.

RB devs did some work on it recently, hence the post-point-release versions apparently perform better in that regard.

Aug 8, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #10,369 of 10,664
All versions of Rockbox (but less so the most recent development versions) have problems with writing to iFlash storage. Something to do with the ATA driver not being written with that kind of storage in mind, so the timings are not right, or something, I gather. Shows up when syncing tracks to it - if you do it with the device in rockbox mode it tends to make errors, sometimes very obvious, causing skipping and other problems with playback, or even a corrupted file system, sometimes it seems more subtle only showing up if you do a hashing/fingerprint comparison between the tracks before-and-after writing to the ipod. Also can show up when you try to create the database, because that also involves writing to the drive. That's why I build the database with the simulator on the PC.

Personally I found fewer problems with the quad than with the dual iFlash.

RB devs did some work on it recently, hence the post-point-release versions apparently perform better in that regard.
Whenever loading music, I always dual boot into OF. So the 2 versions of Rockbox are equivalent except for writing to the ipod?

Aug 8, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #10,370 of 10,664
Whenever loading music, I always dual boot into OF. So the 2 versions of Rockbox are equivalent except for writing to the ipod?

Not sure what you mean by '2 versions'. You mean 3.15 vs all the development versions since? There have been lots of small changes to dev versions since the last point release (was that 3.15? I lost track). But from what I can see most of them entirely relate to newer ports or are very minor bug-fixes for things that don't seem to come up very much. I gather some of it was about improving writing to iFlash drives. But I guess there are instances of writing to the drive other than just syncing.
I tend to just upgrade to the latest dev version every now and then, for the sake of it, as I'm usually tinkering with an ipod or making a new iFlash one.

Aug 16, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #10,371 of 10,664
Not sure what you mean by '2 versions'. You mean 3.15 vs all the development versions since? There have been lots of small changes to dev versions since the last point release (was that 3.15? I lost track). But from what I can see most of them entirely relate to newer ports or are very minor bug-fixes for things that don't seem to come up very much. I gather some of it was about improving writing to iFlash drives. But I guess there are instances of writing to the drive other than just syncing.
I tend to just upgrade to the latest dev version every now and then, for the sake of it, as I'm usually tinkering with an ipod or making a new iFlash one.
By 2 versions, I meant the official 3.15 release and the most recent development build.
Originally, EH-Yeon said, "I updated to beta version of rockbox, they are more stable compared to 3.15 for quad sd i flash". I never use Rockbox when writing to the iPod. Does it matter if I use 3.15 or the latest development build?

Aug 16, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #10,372 of 10,664
By 2 versions, I meant the official 3.15 release and the most recent development build.
Originally, EH-Yeon said, "I updated to beta version of rockbox, they are more stable compared to 3.15 for quad sd i flash". I never use Rockbox when writing to the iPod. Does it matter if I use 3.15 or the latest development build?

I'm not an RB dev, so I'm only going on what I've seen said while lurking on the RB forums, but it seems that work was done on that issue (iFlash compatibility) between 3..15 being released (in 2019) and July 2020. So possibly a dev build post-summer-2020 might have some improvements in that regard. Though if you sync in OF mode anyway, I don't know it would matter much. I haven't bothered even trying to build the database on the ipod, since setting up the sim to do it, and while I can't get the picture flow database to build, I suspect that's because I have too many tracks for it to cope with anyway.

Oct 28, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #10,374 of 10,664
I faced more track skipping problem in 3.15 less so in latest dev build.

Oct 30, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #10,376 of 10,664
Hi all, I have a curious little question for those who can answer having tried in the past: what happens if I remove the HD from an 80GB or 120GB iPod 6th and put in it the HD of a 160GB iPod 7th working and full of music to the limit?
Would it all work or would some motherboard chip limit the maximum space to 128GB by blocking excess songs?

Oct 31, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #10,378 of 10,664
Hi all, I have a curious little question for those who can answer having tried in the past: what happens if I remove the HD from an 80GB or 120GB iPod 6th and put in it the HD of a 160GB iPod 7th working and full of music to the limit?
Would it all work or would some motherboard chip limit the maximum space to 128GB by blocking excess songs?

As MikeyFresh says, an 80 or 120gb ipod would be limited to 128gb cos of that LBA limitation in the original firmware.

You'd also have to restore the thing, as the 160gb drive from the 7th gen would be formatted and have the firmware version for that model, and would not work on the earlier models, so it wouldn't matter if it was 'working and full of music to the limit', as you'd have to wipe it and start again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back