Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jun 12, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #10,337 of 10,664
Now I thought that the player is open on the operating table to lightly pass the hooks of the ipod with a little fluid grease (silicon grease) in order to allow the subsequent openings to obtain less friction for the opening of the covers, facilitating everything .
It would be a good idea?

Jun 12, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #10,338 of 10,664
And if someone wants to try.... I know iTunes had a problem formatting the drive when I'd use 1TB worth of flash cards at one point. The key there was to boot into disk mode after the system reboots the iPod. Create a partition yourself and format to 16kB clusters.... then reboot on the iPod to finish the firmware install. It drove me up the wall until they fixed that silently in iTunes a year or so ago. But that was how I worked around it.

You may still be limited to 2TB in FAT32 though... but to see, see if you can use this method to make a 4TB partition.... do the restore and when it reboots, hold that keypress on the iPod (down and center?) to go into disk mode... make a 4TB partition... reboot the iPod with (up and center?) and see if the black screen / grey apple screen formats the partition as FAT32 4TB. If you can, I'm buying some flash cards next month.

Maybe one of the experts can help me here, I just installed an IFlash Solo onto my 7.5 generation Ipod Classic 160gb slim case version, I utilized a micro SD card, Samsung Evo Select 128gb, after a hard reset, Itunes restored it, was able to transfer music over with no problems, working great, one problem, when I connect it to my Macbook Pro via the USB cable, Itunes is not recognizing it, it shows up in system management as an Ipod connected to the USB port, it charges, but all I get is the screen "eject before disconnecting", the only way to have it show up in Itunes is to do a hard reset every time while still connected to the computer.

It is not the end of the world if I have to do this all of the time as I won't be loading music onto it too often but I'd like to correct this if possible, thanks for your help. I'm using Mac OS High Sierra, Itunes 12.8.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #10,339 of 10,664
a curiosity for those who are able to answer: for example by applying an IFlash card that supports 4 micro sd, the iPod sees the whole as a single disk or as 4 different partitions?
The music inserted in the 4 micro sd wanting to listen to random songs the iPod and its management system picks up the music indistinctly from the 4 micro sd cards or it must be the user via iTune, Floola or other software must indicate from which micro SD to listen?
I hope I have best described my curiosity.

Jun 21, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #10,340 of 10,664
a curiosity for those who are able to answer: for example by applying an IFlash card that supports 4 micro sd, the iPod sees the whole as a single disk or as 4 different partitions?
The music inserted in the 4 micro sd wanting to listen to random songs the iPod and its management system picks up the music indistinctly from the 4 micro sd cards or it must be the user via iTune, Floola or other software must indicate from which micro SD to listen?
I hope I have best described my curiosity.

It only sees 1 drive but will use all 4.

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #10,342 of 10,664
While browsing Amazon’s US prime day, I came across Samsung Evo Select 512GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 card for $61.99. While I don’t need another Terapod, I decided to build one. The card is listed as compatible on Tarkan’s website. Has anyone used it?
Also, has anyone bought a 3000mah battery recently? Was it 57mm x 83mm x 3.6mm? Any recommendations for a good seller on ebay?

Jun 28, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #10,344 of 10,664
Lord, Tarkan adaptors do have some weird quirks!

Just tried to upgrade a quad-iflash-based ipod, replacing two smaller cards with 512gb cards, and just could not get it to work. It would invariably give that stupid iTunes "could not be restored - an unknown error occured" message when trying to restore it. Worked fine with just the smaller capacity cards that were originally in it, and would even work with one of the 512gb cards in there - but with both 512gb cards in there iTunes could not restore it.

But testing all the cards with h2testw showed they were all genuine working cards.. Repeatedly reformatting made no difference.

In the end used one of the 512gb cards to upgrade another ipod and left this one with just the one 512gb card (at about 1Tb total capacity). Putting each 512gb card in a different iPod meant both worked fine, and hence successfully upgraded both of them to 1Tb. But they just would not work together in the same ipod (frustrating my plan of getting the first one up to 1.4Tb).

This has happened at least twice before, once with full-size sd cards in iFlash duals - where certain cards would refuse to work together in the same iFlash ipod, but would work perfectly reliably if they were in different iPods.
(Another reason why I've ended up with a silly number of iFlash ipods)

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #10,345 of 10,664
I wish the makers of the custom batteries would come up with a better way of arranging the cable. The "2000mah" (long-and-narrow) ones tend to fit a bit better than the "3000mah" and "1900mah" ones (that usually need part of the metal frame to be filed off, if they fit at all), but the way the cable is oriented on the 2000 means you have to fold it back on itself, which creates a potential point-of-failure where the cable can fracture at the fold. Can't help thinking there must be a better way that cable could be oriented on the battery to avoid the need for folding it like that.

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #10,347 of 10,664
Lord, Tarkan adaptors do have some weird quirks!

Just tried to upgrade a quad-iflash-based ipod, replacing two smaller cards with 512gb cards, and just could not get it to work. It would invariably give that stupid iTunes "could not be restored - an unknown error occured" message when trying to restore it. Worked fine with just the smaller capacity cards that were originally in it, and would even work with one of the 512gb cards in there - but with both 512gb cards in there iTunes could not restore it.

But testing all the cards with h2testw showed they were all genuine working cards.. Repeatedly reformatting made no difference.

In the end used one of the 512gb cards to upgrade another ipod and left this one with just the one 512gb card (at about 1Tb total capacity). Putting each 512gb card in a different iPod meant both worked fine, and hence successfully upgraded both of them to 1Tb. But they just would not work together in the same ipod (frustrating my plan of getting the first one up to 1.4Tb).

This has happened at least twice before, once with full-size sd cards in iFlash duals - where certain cards would refuse to work together in the same iFlash ipod, but would work perfectly reliably if they were in different iPods.
(Another reason why I've ended up with a silly number of iFlash ipods)

Did you put the fastest card in SD1? Also, did you reformat all the discs before assembly?

Jul 1, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #10,348 of 10,664
Did you put the fastest card in SD1? Also, did you reformat all the discs before assembly?

Not sure about which card was in SD1, tried swapping them around with various permutations, still got that stupid iTunes 'an unknown error occured' message. The two 512gb cards were identical brand/type (Integral). Formatted all to FAT32 at the start plus reformatted at least once. Honestly it's all a mystery, but at least they each work as long as they are kept apart from each other in different ipods! Will settle for that.

The only suspicious thing was when running h2testw on one of the cards, even though it 'passed without errors', it seemed to get surprisingly hot by the end of the test. Don't know if that's actually normal with all the writing/reading involved in a full test, or if it indicates something wonky about the card.

Jul 1, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #10,349 of 10,664
Has anyone ever 3D printed either a new rear panel or a new frame that would allow for more room in the back?

You mean, one thicker than the thick back-plate? Would be an interesting idea, though only if someone also manufactures an even thicker battery to take advantage of it. Seems to me there's still a bit of scope for further custom parts utilising the ipod logic board - a thicker back plate and still larger battery or a 6xmicroSD adaptor, for instance.

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #10,350 of 10,664
You mean, one thicker than the thick back-plate? Would be an interesting idea, though only if someone also manufactures an even thicker battery to take advantage of it. Seems to me there's still a bit of scope for further custom parts utilising the ipod logic board - a thicker back plate and still larger battery or a 6xmicroSD adaptor, for instance.

Yes even thicker than the thick offering. I’d like an extra 1-2mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back