Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 20, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #9,811 of 10,664
I've got a 5th gen (originally 80gb) with one of those large capacity batteries and a Quad iFlash. I'm gonna charge it to the max and let it run til it dies. Will let you know in a couple of days. Or maybe sooner....

Well, it ran for 2 days - actually 49 hours - playing mp3 (mixed bitrates) with volume at approx 50%. Didn't touch the controls much so the backlight wasn't on.

I have another iPod mod with a different large capacity battery and I noted ages ago that I got 40 hours. Not exactly stellar stuff.

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #9,812 of 10,664
Well, it ran for 2 days - actually 49 hours - playing mp3 (mixed bitrates) with volume at approx 50%. Didn't touch the controls much so the backlight wasn't on.

I have another iPod mod with a different large capacity battery and I noted ages ago that I got 40 hours. Not exactly stellar stuff.

Which battery was the 49hr ? I'd be fine with that. breaking it down as listening to 3 hours of music a day would be 16.3 days of battery life.

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #9,813 of 10,664
Which battery was the 49hr ? I'd be fine with that. breaking it down as listening to 3 hours of music a day would be 16.3 days of battery life.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3000mAh-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

On the photo, the size of the battery is denoted as 385879 i.e. 3.8mm thick x 58mm wide x 79mm long. I bought a few but all of them came as 405570. I've measured one at slightly less than 4mm thick and 55mm wide by 75mm long. It just about squeezed into a "thin" ipod using a quad iFlash.

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #9,814 of 10,664
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3000mAh-Battery-Upgrade-replacement-for-iPod-Classic-6-6-5-7-Video-5-5-5-Thin/152581319646?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

On the photo, the size of the battery is denoted as 385879 i.e. 3.8mm thick x 58mm wide x 79mm long. I bought a few but all of them came as 405570. I've measured one at slightly less than 4mm thick and 55mm wide by 75mm long. It just about squeezed into a "thin" ipod using a quad iFlash.

Found a combo (i'm in the u.s.) https://ebay.to/2ATe8Va from the same seller. How was shipping and everything, no delays or anything ?

Jan 21, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #9,817 of 10,664
Dang. Just got hit by iQuad corruption bug.

Code:
Rockbox boot loader
Version: 1.0
Battery status ok
Loading Rockbox...
Error!
Can't load rockbox.ipod:
File not found

Rockbox had being working fine for several months using iQuad adaptor.

Suddenly just froze while playing from my desk so did hardware reboot and got the error above. I can reboot into OF and see the full capacity of the SD cards. Had to do a reinstall of Rockbox and could still see all tracks as well as the database but none of the songs worked.

What's the best way to recover from this corruption? Simple reformat and install then Rockbox? Do I need to recover OF first?

Anyone know why the files all seem to play perfectly well through a computer reading them off the iPod but with Rockbox they are all completely corrupt?

I have many albums on here I'm not able to get hold of for a few months so would rather recover it than re-copy 700GB over again.

As far as I can tell my options are the following:

1. fix files already on there which seem to be still intact but how?
2. reformat in osx or windows, then initialise with itunes, then install rockbox, then recopy
3. just format with itunes then install rockbox and copy

If there no solution for 1, is 3 sufficient or do I need to do 2?

Jan 21, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #9,819 of 10,664
Sorry didn't mention that I tried that and it didn't help.

Before Rockbox wouldn't boot after trying to play a corrupt file. So I reinstalled Rockbox and it boots fine and can browse the metadata library as well as the filesystem but all files are corrupt when you try to play them back.

However, if you connect as disk to a computer, you can play them all back perfectly :/

That's why I'm so confused as it
I've only had this happen once, but reinstalling RB fixed it. No reformat required.

Before Rockbox wouldn't boot after trying to play a corrupt file. So I reinstalled Rockbox and it boots fine and can browse the metadata library as well as the filesystem but all files are corrupt when you try to play them back.

However, if you connect as disk to a computer, you can play them all back perfectly :/

That's why I'm so confused as it seems there's nothing actually wrong with the files and only RB is having a problem

Jan 21, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #9,820 of 10,664

That's why I'm so confused as it

That's why I'm so confused as it seems there's nothing actually wrong with the files and only RB is having a problem

As someone that was gonna use rockbox and read about Rockbox / Tarkan adapter issues such as corrupted music files. Others are saying to transfer music using original firmware then boot into rockbox. If that's your issue.

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #9,821 of 10,664
As someone that was gonna use rockbox and read about Rockbox / Tarkan adapter issues such as corrupted music files. Others are saying to transfer music using original firmware then boot into rockbox. If that's your issue.
I'm aware of that and was VERY carful to avoid any unnecessary write actions outside of Apple OF.

Right now my question is explicitly related to getting the ipod running again, specifically so I can get rockbox to play files that are not apparently not corrupt at all.

Jan 22, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #9,822 of 10,664
I'm aware of that and was VERY carful to avoid any unnecessary write actions outside of Apple OF.

Right now my question is explicitly related to getting the ipod running again, specifically so I can get rockbox to play files that are not apparently not corrupt at all.
Did you try chkdsk /f ?
Did you delete the rockbox folder and reinstall it?
If yes, I think you will have to start from scratch.

I had issues, too.
But since I use the rockbox simulator to write both, database and playlists, it works very stable.
I turned off directory cache, because I think it does write to sd cards.
I do not write or delete any files/ playlists in rockbox...

Jan 22, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #9,823 of 10,664
Anyone know where I can find a clear iPod video clear body with a clear click wheel?

Jan 22, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #9,824 of 10,664
Clear video face plates are on eBay, I pasted a link a day or two ago. I can't find clear click wheels anywhere anymore unfortunately.

Did you try chkdsk /f ?
Did you delete the rockbox folder and reinstall it?
If yes, I think you will have to start from scratch.

I had issues, too.
But since I use the rockbox simulator to write both, database and playlists, it works very stable.
I turned off directory cache, because I think it does write to sd cards.
I do not write or delete any files/ playlists in rockbox...

I'm pretty sure I deleted the folder on mine before reinstalling.
I'm running it on a classic, so I have to do all my editing/unloading of files thru RB, and don't really have any problems. Occasionally I find a corrupted mp3 but for the most part it's pretty reliable, and it gets used 6-8 hours every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back