Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 5, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #9,421 of 10,664
Hi, guys,

The other day I opened up my iPod 5.5G. However, I think I might have messed up something.

The issue is that the cable that goes from the battery to the motherboard (yup, the infamous one that you need to be very careful with when opening up the iPod) doesn’t seem to fully go into its place.

I don’t know if the end of that cable (with the L shape) is supposed to fully fit the brown plastic part, but right now it definitely doesn’t do.

Here are some pics of my iPod in its current state. In the last pictures you can see how deep the connector goes into the brown plastic part (believe, me, I tried to put it even further and it just can’t).

X3eaIjI.jpg

j2O5UEy.jpg

1rxHygg.jpg

NAVIDPu.jpg

I7poM9k.jpg

I was hoping that that position was good enough, but the battery doesn’t seem to be wired. I connected the dock cable, but the iPod just doesn’t wake up and it makes this silly noise:

Ideas?

The cable in my iPod Video alos doesn't fully sit into the connector, so this looks ok. The 90 degree angle doesn't look good. Last time I opened the battery connector the whole plastic part came off (the white part as well) and I thought I had broken it, but the pins remaind on the main board and I could just reseat the connector. Maybe yours is also loosened.

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #9,423 of 10,664
Not necessarily. The contacts in the clicky button may have a little corrosion that can be cleaned. It's possible to carefully lift the button (it's stuck down with some kind of tape); clean with isopropyl; scratch away any corrosion; and stick it back down with cellotape.

Or the domed part of the clicky button has become deformed. I've used a donor logic board to swap this part in the past.
This worked! Thank you very much, saved me quite a bit of money having to replace the logic board.

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #9,424 of 10,664
Thinking of buying a second-hand ipod and doing the various mods. Do you guys think it still competes with other 100 USD Daps out there?

I think it depends on whether you need/want to use rockbox or not. If you're a diehard rockbox user like me, then that narrows the available field considerably, and it's hard to find a good alternative. If you don't use rockbox, then I don't really know, as I don't pay attention to what else is out there.

Mar 6, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #9,425 of 10,664
Hi everybody! I'm looking for a 7th gen ipod latest gen to repair my 160 gb ipod classic who i broke the mainboard and maybe someday upgrade it to 1 tb, and i came accross a 120 gb one who's model number is MB565ZP. Is it any good to repair my ipod or is this the model who's firmware is limited to 128gb?
Just mind that i wanna use it with original firmware, and not rockbox!

Mar 6, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #9,426 of 10,664
Hi everybody! I'm looking for a 7th gen ipod latest gen to repair my 160 gb ipod classic who i broke the mainboard and maybe someday upgrade it to 1 tb, and i came accross a 120 gb one who's model number is MB565ZP. Is it any good to repair my ipod or is this the model who's firmware is limited to 128gb?
Just mind that i wanna use it with original firmware, and not rockbox!

According to https://www.iflash.xyz/ and https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/ : 6.5g (120gb Thin) ** Maximum 128Gb for iTunes

Mar 6, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #9,428 of 10,664
Looks ok to me. It's not supposed to go in all the way, at least the 4 I've modded didn't. If it's not making contact the first thing to try is just reseating it (try several times if needed) - sometimes they go in at an angle, which doesn't always work. If that doesn't work, you'll need to check if the battery is good, and or the cable - you'll need a DMM and some steady hands to test it, put your test leads on the outer connections on the cable, see if you see a voltage. There are certainly some bad cables out there - I've gotten one.

The 90 degree bend in the ribbon cable, at the brown connector end, looks very sharp. Could it have fractured at the bend?

The cable in my iPod Video alos doesn't fully sit into the connector, so this looks ok. The 90 degree angle doesn't look good. Last time I opened the battery connector the whole plastic part came off (the white part as well) and I thought I had broken it, but the pins remaind on the main board and I could just reseat the connector. Maybe yours is also loosened.

Thanks all for commenting.

Truth is I don't know what else to do at this point, since everything seems to be its right place.

Do new batteries come with their own ribbon? If that's the case perhaps I could try installing a new one (the old one was pretty faulty anyway).

Mar 7, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #9,429 of 10,664
Despite being half broken I still use my ipod.
The battery connector officially snapped off today so maybe it's time to see if resoldering will get the battery charging again.
Hope I can afford an upgrade at some point.

Also is there any way to reduce the noise/hissing on the headphone output?

Mar 7, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #9,430 of 10,664
Thanks all for commenting.

Truth is I don't know what else to do at this point, since everything seems to be its right place.

Do new batteries come with their own ribbon? If that's the case perhaps I could try installing a new one (the old one was pretty faulty anyway).
They do, it's soldered to the battery.
Looks like you snapped the connector there. Don't push it too hard.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #9,431 of 10,664
I put an iFlash Dual 2x128GB in an iPod 7th Gen, made a reset with iTunes, alle fine.
But the middle/ select button no longer works. Click wheel is fine.

The middle/ select button is physically clicking but no sound from the iPod as the other buttons.

Removed the front cover, cleaned the under the button switch, took a multimeter.
Switch is triggering a signal on push click with no effect.
Same behavior in a dock with remote control: Play/Stop no effekt
but the enter button did the job. Surreal.

Found simular observations on ifixit.

Anybody an idea?? Second reset has been done.

Mar 11, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #9,433 of 10,664
Not very big. The best seems to be around 650 mAh. If you really want long life you could switch out the back to the bigger size and put one of those 3000 mAh batteries in there - that makes a huge difference.

Mar 15, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #9,434 of 10,664
Not very big. The best seems to be around 650 mAh. If you really want long life you could switch out the back to the bigger size and put one of those 3000 mAh batteries in there - that makes a huge difference.

I've given a thought about it, but honestly I like the slim factor.

Any fiable site where I can get those 659 mAh batteries?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back