Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 28, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #8,716 of 10,664

I agree if you want to have anything more than 256GB,  especially Terapods in your case, definitely go with the SD's given the Tarkan adapter. 

One question, with the Tarkan dual adapter do you still have to use Apple's disk mode to copy files for RB to avoid occasional corruptions?

I do have a 1TB dual SD (PNY 512GBX2) in a 7.5G with the latest Rockbox build and in my case, I do have to use Apple's original firmware to copy files as I get the occasional corruptions with Rockbox.

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #8,717 of 10,664
I agree if you want to have anything more than 256GB,  especially Terapods in your case, definitely go with the SD's given the Tarkan adapter. 

One question, with the Tarkan dual adapter do you still have to use Apple's disk mode to copy files for RB to avoid occasional corruptions?

That's an interesting question. I've read some of posts that suggest file copy issues with the Classic, or with the Video, especially with large batch transfers. I don't use disk mode to transfer. I did have some corruption issues with file transfer on a 32RAM Gen5 - but I have another without the same problems. I've tried disk mode, but that did not change the outcome. I changed the iPod from an mSata Samsung with Tarkan adapter to a 200gb on a single Tarkan SD using the Apple OS, and it operates fine now with a load of about 50k songs. I changed the cable, so I can't say exactly what the issue was because I didn't control the variables.

Dec 31, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #8,718 of 10,664

I use 80gb 5.5s for my mods. Rockbox caused multiple file corruptions with both the single & dual Tarkan adapters. No problems with OF.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #8,719 of 10,664
I think the dev build has a new usb driver, did you face any corruption problems with the new dev build? i built a 256gb single sd card 6g classic using dev build and until now the only problem i had was the sd card ejection itself due to vibrations while carrying it on my pocket

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #8,720 of 10,664
I think the dev build has a new usb driver, did you face any corruption problems with the new dev build? i built a 256gb single sd card 6g classic using dev build and until now the only problem i had was the sd card ejection itself due to vibrations while carrying it on my pocket

I used the dev build. I did use the one that was up 8 months ago however. They may have updated it.

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #8,722 of 10,664
  I had the 2000 mAh battery with fat back plate for CF card. Is there a thinner 2000 mAh battery which can fit in a stock Classic 7.5g case for CF card using the Tarkan adapter?

The 2000mah battery (there is only one AFAIK) will fit in a thin case with the Tarkan quad micro sd adaptor.  Not with the sdxc adaptors.
So the answer depends on which adaptor you are referring to (It's explained on Tarkan's site so just check there).

Edit - ah, sorry, didn't notice you mentioned CF card.  Probably not possible, but I dunno.  But pretty sure there's only one 2000mah ipod battery.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #8,723 of 10,664
Hi all and Happy 2017
I already own a couple of 5.5 with Tarkan thin adapters for one SD I´m about to get another one .  But I once I have to buy it cannot decide  between the quad micro sd and the dual SD. Which one results cheap in terms of ﹩per GB and performance?

Got a 2000mAh battery and different backplates so thin or thick is not decisive.

Thanks

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #8,724 of 10,664
  Hi all and Happy 2017
I already own a couple of 5.5 with Tarkan thin adapters for one SD I´m about to get another one .  But I once I have to buy it cannot decide  between the quad micro sd and the dual SD. Which one results cheap in terms of ﹩per GB and performance?

Got a 2000mAh battery and differente backplates so thin or thick is not decisive.

Thanks

Surely the $ per Gb depends entirely on how much you are paying for the sdxc or micro-sd cards?  I don't see how anyone can tell you, as the prices constantly change over-time and depending on which country you are in and what seller you are buying from.

It also depends what total capacity you are talking about, e.g. at one time 768gb sd and 800gb microsd had similar cost per gb - but it may not be the same for, say, 512gb vs 512gb, and prices change all the time.

On performance, the micro sd option gives longer battery life, but the sd option syncs quicker.

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #8,725 of 10,664
  Hi all and Happy 2017

Got a 2000mAh battery and differente backplates so thin or thick is not decisive.

Thanks

A lot of dudes in here prefer the thin backplate than the thick one.  Being able to combo the 2000mAh battery and the microSD Quad is a nice thing.    

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #8,726 of 10,664

Surely the $ per Gb depends entirely on how much you are paying for the sdxc or micro-sd cards?  I don't see how anyone can tell you, as the prices constantly change over-time and depending on which country you are in and what seller you are buying from.

It also depends what total capacity you are talking about, e.g. at one time 768gb sd and 800gb microsd had similar cost per gb - but it may not be the same for, say, 512gb vs 512gb, and prices change all the time.

On performance, the micro sd option gives longer battery life, but the sd option syncs quicker.

Good points, thanks for the insights. I´m happy  with my SDXC and my 1900mAh  batteries last forever. Just have not tried the micro sd yet. I will see…

A lot of dudes in here prefer the thin backplate than the thick one.  Being able to combo the 2000mAh battery and the microSD Quad is a nice thing.    

Yeah, I know, and its certainly interesting. It is just that I am used to the fats 5.5 and it doesn´t bother me… plus the only iPods (a couple of them) I cannot restore  (I don´t know why, yet) are thin.

Thank you very much, guys

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #8,727 of 10,664
Visiting family over Christmas and picked up another 5.5g to convert from a family member.  Put in the old tarkin adapter (with the old thick CF-SD adapter) and a new(er) 840 mAh battery.  Worked like a charm - except the CF-SD adapter kept coming loose from the zif-CF board.  I forgot how much of a pain it is to open iPods without any suitable tools.

But then again, when my phone battery swelled up and I couldn't use it (for fear of fire) I still had my own iPod on hand - so still had music, if not the other conveniences.

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #8,728 of 10,664
My SD thin Tarkan gets loose from time to time as well. I should find a definitive solution to this. :p

Webstaa, you can open a 5.5 with a guitar pick in seconds. With 6th and 7th, that´s another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back