Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 18, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #8,701 of 10,664
I'm having trouble with 6th & 7th gen iPods and 7DayShop or Qumox SDXC 128GB cards. 

Using with Tarkan's adapters. If I let an iPod play for a few hours then connect it to iTunes, my PC says the disk i.e. the iPod, needs formatting. Itunes doesn't detect the iPod. I have to manually eject it from the PC. The iPod then proceeds to reboot itself. After that it connects fine.

Five ipods (120GB and a 7th gen 160GB), four of Tarkan's CF/SD adapters and one of his dual SDXC adapters. All with the same fault.

Tarkan suggested reinstalling the iPod firmware whist in DFU mode but this didn't help.

Any ideas? Are the 7dayshop and Qumox cards simply not fully compatible?

The 128gb 7dayshop sdxc are compatible as I've used them before. However I did run into a little trouble with my last mod but I was using the generic adaptor. When did you get that card? Like someone's said here before it could just be a bad batch. Have you tried them separately to see if it's either the Qumox or 7dayshop card that's bad?

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #8,703 of 10,664
The 128gb 7dayshop sdxc are compatible as I've used them before. However I did run into a little trouble with my last mod but I was using the generic adaptor. When did you get that card? Like someone's said here before it could just be a bad batch. Have you tried them separately to see if it's either the Qumox or 7dayshop card that's bad?

I have several 7dayshop and several Qumox cards, all bought at different times, so I doubt it's a bad batch of both brands.

I don't yet know what triggers the problem
 - is it length of running time? It doesn't happen if I run the pod for a few minutes.
 - Reading position on the card? I test all cards with h2testw prior to using.
 - Maybe I have a bad audio file in there? I once had an ipod that kept resetting itself - turned out it was a file with an incompatible bit rate/depth.

I've used these brands in a 5.5 gen ipod for months, no problem, so was quite a fan of them.

I made a mistake on my original post - iTunes does detect the pod but as one that needs recovering/restoring.

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #8,704 of 10,664
Got a supposed 5.5g 60gb headphone jack and put it in the 5.5g 80gb with no issues.  I say supposed because the flex was a little bit shorter than the original one, and it's got a different origin mark.  I still want to try to is if the "classic 6/7g" ones fit, but maybe another time.

This one's built up with a Tarkan single SD (PNY 512gb) and a 1900mAh battery.  I did a full dicharge - charge - discharge via playback to test the battery life.  Audio playtime in original hardware was 35:44, full charge time using an old USB charger .5A charger was just shy of 7 hours (this one finished during the night and I didn't catch it perfectly.)  I'm running a rockbox playback test using FLAC for ****s and giggles - around 12 hours in now.

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #8,705 of 10,664
I have several 7dayshop and several Qumox cards, all bought at different times, so I doubt it's a bad batch of both brands.

I don't yet know what triggers the problem
 - is it length of running time? It doesn't happen if I run the pod for a few minutes.
 - Reading position on the card? I test all cards with h2testw prior to using.
 - Maybe I have a bad audio file in there? I once had an ipod that kept resetting itself - turned out it was a file with an incompatible bit rate/depth.

I've used these brands in a 5.5 gen ipod for months, no problem, so was quite a fan of them.

I made a mistake on my original post - iTunes does detect the pod but as one that needs recovering/restoring.

Did you already try to replace the HD ribbon? That was once the cause for the same weird effects on one of my ipods.

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #8,706 of 10,664
Did you already try to replace the HD ribbon? That was once the cause for the same weird effects on one of my ipods.

I haven't but this is happening across 5 ipods using different cards.
I'm doing more testing. I've made one wav file and duplicated it many times. With 50 tracks loaded, one pod ran fine. Tried again with 200 tracks and the error occurred after I stopped it at the 80th track.
Just wondering whether there's a location on the card that triggers the fault.
Will carry on testing...

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #8,707 of 10,664

​Yeah. I also know the 128gb limit. I am currently running it with a 128gb cf card with very stable performance. Normal hard drive consumes about 500 ma of current while the most efficient msata ssd, the Samsung p871 consumes about 700ma. Hence I just stuck with CF card mod.

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #8,708 of 10,664

​Yeah. I also know the 128gb limit. I am currently running it with a 128gb cf card with very stable performance. Normal hard drive consumes about 500 ma of current while the most efficient msata ssd, the Samsung p871 consumes about 700ma. Hence I just stuck with CF card mod.

CF mod is no doubt the best considering its overall performance. The cost of 256GB CF cards is quite reasonable now if 128GB is not enough. Honestly we all know 128GB serves quite well the purpose. That said I was fascinated by 1TB mod and I did. Am I using it? Rarely after the curiosity was full-filled.

Dec 24, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #8,709 of 10,664
CF mod is no doubt the best considering its overall performance. The cost of 256GB CF cards is quite reasonable now if 128GB is not enough. Honestly we all know 128GB serves quite well the purpose. That said I was fascinated by 1TB mod and I did. Am I using it? Rarely after the curiosity was full-filled.
That's true. Considering apple charges roughly $200 for upgrading from 16gb to 128gb model in iPod touch, the price of 128gb cf mod is quite reasonable. Granted it also costs your own time and the risk of damaging your own iPod.
My music library is about the size of 30gb, consisting of flac files and alac. I think 64gb is fine for me. Since apple only lists 128gb iPod touch on their own website and the 64gb is the top model in non apple market, I think that can be translate to most people will be content with 128gb capacity, even 64 GB model. I personally would be happy to see apple revive the iPod classic line and fit it with modern flash, including SSD and modern CPU and DAC though. Apple is quite good at fine tuning user interface.

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #8,712 of 10,664
  This ebay seller from China has 100% positive feedbacks but his prices on the Lexar CF's seem too good to be true. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sky201610/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

No BIN'S so it may not end up at that price now anyway.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #8,713 of 10,664
  He could be friendly, communicative, and ship quickly, but still sell counterfeit items.

In general (not saying anything about this particular seller), people leaving feedback for memory cards rarely seem to bother testing with h2testw before doing so.  Which is really annoying as it makes feedback worthless.

Fakers aren't just timewasters at best and fraudsters at worst, but they also create distrust for all sellers.

(I missed a chance to buy several cards at a very good price, because I suspected they'd be fakes.  Bought just one and it worked perfectly, but by that time the price had gone way up agian!)

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #8,714 of 10,664

You've always been an early and avid suppoerter of the CF mod, and I admit, prior to the big SD cards, these were the most stable build to replace the mechanical HD. And certainly, the mSata build just isnt for the faint-hearted: it crashes and has to be reset, and was a pita on the 6 and 7 gen models. But, now, with the most recent Classic Rockbox build, the Tarkan Dual SD adapter, i think the SD is the way to go. I have two 1T, one 6th and one 7th gen, and i use them everyday. For those not needing 1T, the dual can be configuered to whatever combination you might need. The SD cards are cheep at 64gb, and the dual card set up allows for upgrading as your storage needs increase. Which, they will, believe me. And the playing time is extraordinary when paired with a 2000mAh battery.

I own 6 other Terapods, all 5 and 5.5 gen running beyondwinds RB mod on Samsung mSatas. I do a lot of traveling, and because the mSata can be finicky, i used to travel with two (using one as a backup). I still do, but i haven't needed a backup since i built the Dual SD versions.

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #8,715 of 10,664
You've always been an early and avid suppoerter of the CF mod, and I admit, prior to the big SD cards, these were the most stable build to replace the mechanical HD. And certainly, the mSata build just isnt for the faint-hearted: it crashes and has to be reset, and was a pita on the 6 and 7 gen models. But, now, with the most recent Classic Rockbox build, the Tarkan Dual SD adapter, i think the SD is the way to go. I have two 1T, one 6th and one 7th gen, and i use them everyday. For those not needing 1T, the dual can be configuered to whatever combination you might need. The SD cards are cheep at 64gb, and the dual card set up allows for upgrading as your storage needs increase. Which, they will, believe me. And the playing time is extraordinary when paired with a 2000mAh battery.

I own 6 other Terapods, all 5 and 5.5 gen running beyondwinds RB mod on Samsung mSatas. I do a lot of traveling, and because the mSata can be finicky, i used to travel with two (using one as a backup). I still do, but i haven't needed a backup since i built the Dual SD versions.

I agree if you want to have anything more than 256GB,  especially Terapods in your case, definitely go with the SD's given the Tarkan adapter. 

One question, with the Tarkan dual adapter do you still have to use Apple's disk mode to copy files for RB to avoid occasional corruptions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back