Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 29, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #7,696 of 10,664
  Hi friends,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me discern if the circuit board is dead or if something else may be the culprit.

So I went to completely change out the guts of an ipod (except for the circuit board and LCD) and all worked well, booted up, but soon, I got the ipod logo with the apple website underneath. I detached and reattached everything, tried reconnecting the original hard drive, tried 2 different batteries, still the same result.

But there are some interesting things that have me convinced I didn't brick my ipod.

1. I can still put my ipod in Disk Mode and charge it using an outlet charger
2. I can put my ipod into DFU Mode (where it says you must reformat this with itunes), but as soon as I plug in a USB computer plugged to my computer, the letters begin to fade, the ipod reboots and I get the apple website logo
3. At times, it gets stuck in the battery recharge loop
4. I hear the hard drive spinning when I turn it on

Am I in denial here, or is there a way I can salvage the situation? 

I had that problem when i damaged the battery connector, one of the pins was torn out.

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #7,697 of 10,664
What are people's experiences with various brands of sdxc card?  Especially with 256gb or 512gb.

Outside the US at least, PNY cards at 512gb are expensive compared to other brands, namely Kingston and Patriot and even Lexar.  But I had bad experiences with Kingston 256gb that flat-out wouldn't work with rockbox in anything later than 5.0 gen, and didn't seem reliable even with original firmware.  And Patriot was much the same.  But I've seen others claim success with both Kingston and Patriot, but maybe they were using 5th gen and not rockboxing?

Anyone used anything other than PNY, Kingston, or Patriot, for 256gb and up?  Especially if using Rockbox.

May 3, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #7,702 of 10,664
Is there any way to fix that or does it mean a new board?

You can try to carefully pull the whole connector up (so with the white piece) and look if the small upstanding copper connections are all intact. But you have to be very careful since it's very fragile. I'll look this afternoon if I can take a picture for you.

May 3, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #7,704 of 10,664
Hi all. Thanks for this excellent thread. Been lurking/following for ages.

Can anyone suggest a reliable alternative source for the 2000mAh battery? I just wasted a month with this Alex Cheung guy, who didn't send the battery and doesn't reply to any emails (in my own experience). I've finally had to file a dispute with Paypal.

Since it's the last piece of the jigsaw in my 1TB iPod Video, I'm pretty keen to get my hands on one asap. Would appreciate any help.

May 3, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #7,705 of 10,664
  Hi all. Thanks for this excellent thread. Been lurking/following for ages.

Can anyone suggest a reliable alternative source for the 2000mAh battery? I just wasted a month with this Alex Cheung guy, who didn't send the battery and doesn't reply to any emails (in my own experience). I've finally had to file a dispute with Paypal.

Since it's the last piece of the jigsaw in my 1TB iPod Video, I'm pretty keen to get my hands on one asap. Would appreciate any help.

Same here. Ordered 2 batteries from him a while ago and never got them. No replies to emails.

May 3, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #7,706 of 10,664
After a decent battery as well so would like to know.  If it could be uk based so much the better thanks.  I've gone the original iflash route and 5th gen.

May 3, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #7,707 of 10,664
I'd suggest just biting the bullet and ordering one from China on Ebay.  It will take a while, but I think its the only way. 

If Alex Cheung has become unreliable for you (if that's the ebay seller I think it is, I'm sure I've ordered several from him in the past with no problems at all) you could just order one of the others. e.g. the 1900mah one, or the 3000mah one, I got one of the latter and it does, to my huge surprise, appear to be slightly physically larger than the 1900 one so could actually be a slightly higher capacity, though possibly not 3000mah...I had assumed it would just be the exact same one as the 1900mah with a bigger number on it, but it seemed to be a tiny bit wider)

May 3, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #7,708 of 10,664
  I haven´t bought from that batteries seller  because he won´t ship to my country but have read good references.   My choice was this 1900 mAh battery http://es.aliexpress.com/item/high-capacity-1900mah-upgrade-li-ion-battery-for-ipod-5th-gen-video-30gb/32226273996.html and , yeah , the thick case+ larger battery  worths it. Mine lasts forever, it´s a fine upgrade. No problem at all. 
Regarding to the iFlash, I got me a Tarkan thin iFlash plus 128 GB Qumox SDXC and the iPod is much  lighter and noticed a faster boot, no hiccups.   You got instructions from iFixit and Tarkan´s site, I think, it´s not a big deal: open it change it all, connect to iTunes then restore. I don´t remember if I had to format before.

If I were you I would get a dual card iFlash, by the way.

Regards

I bought a 2000 mAh (not from that seller you mention , he didn´t ship to my country I could´t get him to change his mind) and its pretty bad. The 1900mAh battery I mentioned above is a blast, though.

May 3, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #7,709 of 10,664
  I bought a 2000 mAh (not from that seller you mention , he didn´t ship to my country I could´t get him to change his mind) and its pretty bad. The 1900mAh battery I mentioned above is a blast, though.

Thanks

EDIT:Learn to read posts properly stupid (me) boy....:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back