Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 13, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #7,622 of 10,664
  I decided to try and paint the back of the iPod myself with a mat black paint (an alkyd based aerosol I picked up at the local store). I first filed it with a cubic nail file and cleaned it with some aceton before applying the paint. I am quite happy with the result but of course it means that I don't have the apple logo anymore. Does anybody know if it's possible to find a design file for  those? Then I might try to laser the logo and text back in. 

Looks great.  Personally I'd rather _not_ have the logo!  It's _my_ ipod, not Apple's!  (Heh, though I'd be OK with a Rockbox logo instead!)

I'd also rather not have the capacity on it - it bugs me that the black 256gb back I got is now wrong because I've since upgraded that ipod to 512gb!  A blank back is more future-proof.  Plus, you know, its, er, 'stealthy'.

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #7,623 of 10,664
Looks great.  Personally I'd rather _not_ have the logo!  It's _my_ ipod, not Apple's!  (Heh, though I'd be OK with a Rockbox logo instead!)

I'd also rather not have the capacity on it - it bugs me that the black 256gb back I got is now wrong because I've since upgraded that ipod to 512gb!  A blank back is more future-proof.  Plus, you know, its, er, 'stealthy'.
That's why I want my initials instead of the capacity. And since my initials are four letters I think it's a nice way to personalize my iPod. Personally I'd much prefer the Apple logo to the Rockbox one but without any engraving it's also looking sleek.

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #7,624 of 10,664
Hi guys,

Sorry for my poor English.

I have iPod Classic 6th (orginal 80GB thin version). I buy replace disk - SSD Plextor 128GB mSATA and green adapter to ZIF.
And... iPod after replace, show me "Red X in Circle". iPod in "Diagnostic Mode" work fine, detects the SSD and information (S/N, Firmware Version), in "Disk Mode" iTunes detect SSD on correct,  I can add music. Everything looks good. How I restore my iPod and  get out of disk mode, show me "Red X".

Any ideas?

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #7,625 of 10,664
  Hi guys,

Sorry for my poor English.

I have iPod Classic 6th (orginal 80GB thin version). I buy replace disk - SSD Plextor 128GB mSATA and green adapter to ZIF.
And... iPod after replace, show me "Red X in Circle". iPod in "Diagnostic Mode" work fine, detects the SSD and information (S/N, Firmware Version), in "Disk Mode" iTunes detect SSD on correct,  I can add music. Everything looks good. How I restore my iPod and  get out of disk mode, show me "Red X".

Any ideas?

Green adapter doesnt work in 6th generation iPod

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #7,626 of 10,664
ph34r.gif

Excellently...
What cheap adapter work?

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #7,631 of 10,664
Hi

Just got a good condition 5th gen ipod video in.  Got the tarkan sdxc adapter and sdxc card ready to go.  If I just want to replace the old battery with a new one can I still use the thin back or do I need a thick back as well?

Thanks

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #7,632 of 10,664
  Hi

Just got a good condition 5th gen ipod video in.  Got the tarkan sdxc adapter and sdxc card ready to go.  If I just want to replace the old battery with a new one can I still use the thin back or do I need a thick back as well?

Thanks

That depends on the battery capacity. If you want to keep the thin back you have to get a 650mAh battery. The higher capacities are all for iPods with a thicker back. The 850mAh are the ones Apple used with the thick drives. Since a tarkan adapter has a slim profile you can actually combine an even higher capacity battery (1900mAh - 2000mAh) with a thick back cover.

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #7,633 of 10,664

That depends on the battery capacity. If you want to keep the thin back you have to get a 650mAh battery. The higher capacities are all for iPods with a thicker back. The 850mAh are the ones Apple used with the thick drives. Since a tarkan adapter has a slim profile you can actually combine an even higher capacity battery (1900mAh - 2000mAh) with a thick back cover.

Thanks.  Looks like it's finally time to order that super battery from china.  Wonder how long the wait will be :p

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #7,634 of 10,664
I just modded a 5.5 gen 80 GB iPd with the Tarkan CF adapter & CF to SD adapter. iflash.xzy It all went smoothly.

I put in a Patriot LX Series 128GB Micro SD card. It was on the recommended list at Tarkan's site. It was $35 from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-128GB-Speed-Transfer-Speeds/dp/B00SNLIG5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460671682&sr=8-1&keywords=patriot+sd+micro+128

It took 7 hrs to transfer 15043 songs via iTunes (WinXP).

Opening an iPod is the hardest step in the process. Not happy with the plastic tools that come with every iPod replacement component, I made my own tool.

I'm a jeweler & sometimes after I bezel set a cabochon, I need to remove it. I bought a stainless steel table knife at a thrift store & ground it down to a thin shape that I could get between the bezel & cab. Then I polished it on the Tripoli wheel. Even though it has a somewhat sharp edge, it's all smooth.

It was the only tool I could slide between the metal iPod back & the faceplate. 5Gen iPods are quite easy with a tool like this. Not the same for a 4th gen I have. That will take multiple wedges inserted as I work my way around the perimeter.

http://www.playzar.com/rthphotos/Homemade-iPod-opener-tool1.jpg

http://www.playzar.com/rthphotos/Homemade-iPod-opener-tool2.jpg

I'm not sure if these will display as images, or links.

Sorry for the low quality photos, but I hope you get the idea.

Lynn

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #7,635 of 10,664
Hi all,

I scoured the forums and google to find a definitive answer, but can't seem to find one. Found some clues that I don't want to believe, bc I ordered the parts already :frowning2: but need to find a definitive answer.

Will the generic ZIF CF card adaptor + SDXC + 1900 mah battery fit into a 5.5g ipod 80gb? 

Link to generic ZIF card:
http://www.amazon.com/Card-1-8-inch-Adapter-IPOD/dp/B004FD1D2C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460685701&sr=8-1&keywords=zif

I haven't read anything about the generic CF adapter, but did read Tarkan's sdxc adaptor + SSD adapter is thin enough to squeeze both in. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back