Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 7, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #4,726 of 10,664

Where does it only shows 127GB? Windows explorer/OS X finder, iTunes, on the iPod itself? 
A 6th gen iPod will only recognise 128GB except when you use an original thick drive. To show the full capacity you have to boot in rockbox and it should normally work. If it still doesn't work you can install the mSATA patch made by someone here whose name I seem to have forgotten :s

edit: @beyondwind 

It is showing in both Windows explorer and on Rockbox.
I will have to search for that mSata patch, I may have missed that.

Thanks Sweex.

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #4,727 of 10,664
  In need some help and information:

I have been following this thread for a while and decided to try and upgrade one of my Ipods.
So I purchased the Tarkan iFlash-SATA (mSata) adapter and a Samsung MZMTE512HMHP 512GB SATA.
I read that Ipod model Model PC297LL would be ok.
I took it to someone to do the work for me as I am not so good with delicate electronics.
He could not get it to work.
I looked at my ipod and it was a Model MC297LL in my excitement I over looked the MC vs PC.
Is there a big difference, and is there anything I can do to get it to work?
Thanks in advance.

I thought the M vs the P just told you whether it was formatted on a Mac or a PC...but then I see my ipods, all formatted on a PC, have an 'm' not a 'p' so I must have that wrong.

On the other hand, my 'mc' ipod is working fine with an msata, so that can't be the problem with yours in any case.

I don't know what the model numbers mean and can't be bothered to google it, but all 5th gens and above will work, just some of them (6th gen 80gb, 120gb and fat 160gb) need to be rockboxed

I don't know anything about that form of msata ssd though.  I only know about the crucial m500 and the samsung evo 840.  Anyone else used the one you mention? (Edit - google reveals it does work, poster on this very thread has it working! so that isn't the issue either.  What did the person who tried to fit it say was the problem?)

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #4,729 of 10,664
He said that he got a red X and no matter what he did he could not get the ipod to recognize the card.

I sent him this information I got off of the forum:

1. Format the msata card, fat32, using AOMEI,
2. Wait at least one hour with PC on.
3. Turn off PC.
4. Put msata with Tarkan's adapter in Ipod.
5. When Ipod restores msata.
6. Eject Ipod.
7. Disconnect batt. then remove msata from Ipod.
8. Install msata in external box in (1).
9. Plug box in to PC and hopefully Itunes recognises the card and I should be good to transfer music to msata.
10. If successful, reverse steps to place msata back into Ipod.

So I am going to reformat the card to fat32 again let it stay on the computer for at least an hour then shut it down and them remove the card.
The computer assigns a drive letter to the drive is that ok?
Thanks again

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #4,730 of 10,664
Quick question.

I've got a 7th gen ipod.  Thinking about sticking a 480 msata in it at some point.  Will I be able to use the apple firmware with tarkans adapter or will it have to be rockboxed?

Thanks

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #4,731 of 10,664
  Quick question.

I've got a 7th gen ipod.  Thinking about sticking a 480 msata in it at some point.  Will I be able to use the apple firmware with tarkans adapter or will it have to be rockboxed?

Thanks

Before using the 512GB card in my 7th gen I used the Crucial 480GB and it worked like a charm with stock Apple Firmware.

Go ahead and do it, all you need is Tarkan's mSATA adapter.

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #4,732 of 10,664
  Quick question.

Thanks

Does "7th gen" mean the slim 160gb?  Because some seem to call that 7.5 gen.  That one works, until the database gets too big.
  He said that he got a red X and no matter what he did he could not get the ipod to recognize the card.

3. Turn off PC.
6. Eject Ipod.
9. Plug box in to PC and hopefully Itunes recognises the card and I should be good to transfer music to msata.

So I am going to reformat the card to fat32 again let it stay on the computer for at least an hour then shut it down and them remove the card.
Thanks again

I think that will only work if you are Rockboxing.  Otherwise I don't see how you can transfer the music in the external housing in a form that the ipod will understand.  If you are using rockbox then I would assume that procedure would work.

(That is what I considered doing, but I assumed it would require installing rockbox first.  Also I got a red X when synching due to not charging the battery up fully first and also using what seemed to be a dodgy synch cable).

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #4,733 of 10,664
  Before using the 512GB card in my 7th gen I used the Crucial 480GB and it worked like a charm with stock Apple Firmware.

Go ahead and do it, all you need is Tarkan's mSATA adapter.

Nice one.  Will the stock battery be enough for it or should I go ahead and replace it?

As nice as the 5.5 gen sounds, since the mod it feels a little creaky.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #4,734 of 10,664

Nice one.  Will the stock battery be enough for it or should I go ahead and replace it?

As nice as the 5.5 gen sounds, since the mod it feels a little creaky.

I went straight to the 2000mAh since Alex sent me a prototype one and never looked back. Didn't even tried the slim one, now I am wanting to build a slim 7th gen mSATA iPod Classic but using the slim battery. Prices went up like crazy, a guy locally was asking $975 for his 7th gen Classic on Craigslist and didn't sell it at that amount but someone paid $740 for it. Now there is a sudden interest in these iPods.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #4,735 of 10,664

Does "7th gen" mean the slim 160gb?  Because some seem to call that 7.5 gen.  That one works, until the database gets too big.
I think that will only work if you are Rockboxing.  Otherwise I don't see how you can transfer the music in the external housing in a form that the ipod will understand.  If you are using rockbox then I would assume that procedure would work.

Well I only have ALAC files so no worry about having "too many" files in the iPod.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #4,736 of 10,664

(That is what I considered doing, but I assumed it would require installing rockbox first.  Also I got a red X when synching due to not charging the battery up fully first and also using what seemed to be a dodgy synch cable).

I plug it into the car system so Rockbox is not a choice, I understand the apple software should be able to handle it:
http://www.tarkan.info/20141213/tutorials/1tb-ipod-classic-restore-sync-video
but I have to get it to work first.
I do have the dual usb/firewire cable unsure if it was used at the time.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #4,737 of 10,664
  Well I only have ALAC files so no worry about having "too many" files in the iPod.

I reckon even with ALAC it is just about possible to have "too many" files on a terapod - by my maths.  Difficult, but not entirely impossible.

I'd still want to Rockbox eventually, as everything I don't have on CDs is in the form of FLACs (mostly bootlegs from dimeadozen).  No way am I messing around converting them all to Apple format!

But now wishing I'd gone with a full Terabyte SSD. Too much is never enough.

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #4,738 of 10,664

I reckon even with ALAC it is just about possible to have "too many" files on a terapod - by my maths.  Difficult, but not entirely impossible.

I'd still want to Rockbox eventually, as everything I don't have on CDs is in the form of FLACs (mostly bootlegs from dimeadozen).  No way am I messing around converting them all to Apple format!

But now wishing I'd gone with a full Terabyte SSD. Too much is never enough.

ALAC conversion with dbPoweramp batch is easy!  

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #4,739 of 10,664

3. Turn off PC.
6. Eject Ipod.

Thanks again

Success!!  I think he did not use the usb/firewire cable I tried that and it synced up and is working.  
Thanks

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #4,740 of 10,664
I am having a hell of a time trying to get Tarkin's sd adapter to work.  Sometimes itunes will see but will fail during restore.  I initially tested a 64gb card I have for my camera and got it to restore on my girlfirends laptop.  Mine kept failing.  Ordered a 256gb pny card and can't get it to restore on either.  Tried multiple formats and still nothing.  Any tips?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back