Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 5, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #3,436 of 10,664
  intopieces was saying however that his unit (he has the bp4) only gets roughly 16 hours bat life makes me wonder really i need decent storage but long battery life. 

Hmm ... that's not from my experience. 

cool. let us know if it's possible to fill up 1TB. AFAIK, ipod's system causes error when you put too many files.

@dr408517 has a few Terapods and I don't think he reported any problem filling it with RB. So I am not worried about it since my number of files will be much less given that majority of my files are images instead of individual tracks. The error with the ipod's original firmware is a known issue. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #3,438 of 10,664
Hi.

Does anyone knows if a samsung micro SSD 256gb mmdpe56gtdxp will work with a ipod 5.5 and an adapter? I've searched the thread for this particular model but with no results.

regards

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #3,439 of 10,664
Hi everyone.
I have recently been invited to join the United States Peace Corps next year and will be sent to an extremely remote location in the Pacific Islands.
My first reaction after receiving my invite was, "Damn, I got to upgrade my iPod."
My last iPod was lost/stolen on a snowboarding trip and I've been using my iPhone ever since.
But now I would like to put together a modified iPod with larger storage capacity.
And to be honest, I didn't even know it was possible to put an SSD drive into an iPod.
I'm glad that I came across this thread as it seems to be the definite authority on this subject.

After lurking around here for a few days and looking through a lot of posts, I am still deciding as to which base model iPod to start with and which exact configuration I should go for.
Here are my main priorities for this iPod build...
1) at least 256gb
2) battery life (electricity may be very scarce)
3) durability
4) cost

It seems to me that a 256 gb SSD would be an ideal setup.

My main question is, should I start with a used 5th Gen or used 7th Gen as my base model? And what are the advantages/disadvantages of either?

Also, which adapter would I need to achieve this?

Thanks to all for helping me out.

Sep 5, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #3,441 of 10,664
  Could you let me know what adapter you're using? Are you using the BP4? Is there a setting I should activate on the RockBox to improve battery life? TBH I'm find with 16h (I work 12 h days) but always worth exploring. What battery did you use?

The green generic adapter. Yes I have a pair of the BP4 256GB's. The ipods are all DIY modded for external amp only. I also unplug the stock headphone jack from the board since I don't use it. Nothing particular for RB. I don't have the 2000mAh battery and just use any generic battery for the BP4. That's big improvement from using the 480GB Crucial, for which I have to get the Miliamp battery.

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #3,442 of 10,664
Wow it's been years since I've been on this site. Brings a tear to my eye to see how well this thread has grown. It was my baby. Keep rockin on modders!

I would like to thank everyone that carried the torch in my absence to make this thread everything I wanted it to be and more. I'm proud of all you guys. Without you this wouldn't be the number 1 source of ipod ssd modification.

Sep 6, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #3,443 of 10,664
Seems the runcore ssd's do not work in the ipod. Are there any confirmed ssd's above 256GB that are working in the ipod classic? I've been out of the loop for a long time.

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #3,444 of 10,664
Hey guys, it's been a while and hope everyone is doing great.

I recently tried the Samsung 840 EVO MZ-MTE1T0BW 1TB mSATA using the "green" adapter with success. So I am now a happy owner of the TeraDIYmod. The restore process went smooth as normal. I didn't need to format the drive (bought new from an eBay seller) and it took about 12 minutes to get to that "Welcome to Your New iPod" message during the restore. It was very warm (or hot per se) but no dive in battery power. I used a normal battery (non Miliamp).  This 1TB Samsung apparently performs much better than the 480GB Crucial in terms of power efficiency. BTW, my 1TB Samsung is rated 3.3V/1.9A.

This is the best I could have hoped for a DAP: 1TB storage, Rockboxed UI, and audio quality from the capless diymod. For the past a few months, I have been enjoying new collection of music (mostly whole images in lossless WAV format). So the 1TB drive is a big relief for a while going forward as I continue collecting the junk. :)  

Thanks again to Beyondwind for making this possible with the RB patch for msata. Also thanks to Dr. for confirming the workability of the Terapod. 

RB is just awesome. Most of my music is collected as images (WAV/FLAC/APE) with CUE files, but RB handles them like charm even for cue files with[SIZE=12.7272720336914px] non English fonts.[/SIZE]

Congrats! I am really pleased your build went well. And I really like the vue face plate!

I am still testing configurations. Next week I hope to test the Tarkan adapter with the 5th,6th and 7th boards. I am also running some tests comparing 5gen and 5.5gen boards because there are differences that may make the build simpler with the 5th. Love that Samsung chip.

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #3,445 of 10,664
cool. let us know if it's possible to fill up 1TB. AFAIK, ipod's system causes error when you put too many files.

I have three, two 5.5s and one 5gen. Loads are at 600gb. I do not use the database feature on my 480gb or terapod builds, and just play from files and they work great.

I've not encountered db limitations with RB. My BP4 256gb build is full db'd with over 69k entries. ITunes, hovever, is another story and db limits appear somewhere around 55k or less, depending on the storage media used (HD, SSD, SD, mSata are all different).

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #3,446 of 10,664
  Wow it's been years since I've been on this site. Brings a tear to my eye to see how well this thread has grown. It was my baby. Keep rockin on modders!

I would like to thank everyone that carried the torch in my absence to make this thread everything I wanted it to be and more. I'm proud of all you guys. Without you this wouldn't be the number 1 source of ipod ssd modification.

You need to update that 1st post. :)

Thanks for creating this thread. I bought my first ipod video in 2006. Since I visited this thread and the DIYmod thread, now I have lost count of the ipod videos I have, not including those I killed. 
biggrin.gif

And I really like the vue face plate!

It really helps me to id the ipods by looking at those wires I put there. 

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #3,448 of 10,664
  Hi everyone.
I have recently been invited to join the United States Peace Corps next year and will be sent to an extremely remote location in the Pacific Islands.
My first reaction after receiving my invite was, "Damn, I got to upgrade my iPod."
My last iPod was lost/stolen on a snowboarding trip and I've been using my iPhone ever since.
But now I would like to put together a modified iPod with larger storage capacity.
And to be honest, I didn't even know it was possible to put an SSD drive into an iPod.
I'm glad that I came across this thread as it seems to be the definite authority on this subject.

After lurking around here for a few days and looking through a lot of posts, I am still deciding as to which base model iPod to start with and which exact configuration I should go for.
Here are my main priorities for this iPod build...
1) at least 256gb
2) battery life (electricity may be very scarce)
3) durability
4) cost

It seems to me that a 256 gb SSD would be an ideal setup.

My main question is, should I start with a used 5th Gen or used 7th Gen as my base model? And what are the advantages/disadvantages of either?

Also, which adapter would I need to achieve this?

Thanks to all for helping me out.

This is pretty much what im looking at too its hard to find a lot of test of battery life vs method of space (CF/SD/MSATA).

mSata seems to cost less but seems very touchy about the power.

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #3,449 of 10,664
Tarkan on his blog notes at one point that mSATA uses more power than native drive which in turns uses more power than a SD card.

My guess (I intend to test this) is that in the long run the mSATA will be more reliable than the SD card.  I intend to mod two videopods, one with each.  Of course I will probably break something along the way.

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #3,450 of 10,664
everything made a lot more sense after i checked the prices of the different memory types and their various capacities.

CF < SDXC (~240gb)
in terms of achieving 30gb to 240gb, SDXC is the logical choice . $120ish for a 240gb SDXC

SDXC < mSATA (480gb+)
if you are aiming for 480gb or above, mSATA is the logical choice here mainly because of price. $240ish for a 480gb mSATA

im seeing a few 1300mah batteries here and there but i'm not too sure about actual output or quality.
has anyone tested a high capacity battery yet? if so, please show me where i can get a good quality hi capacity batter.

also, will a 240gb sdxc setup in a 5th gen ipod require a fat 80gb back? or can i get away with the slimmer 30gb? thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back