Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Aug 26, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #6,336 of 10,670
It's been a while since I posted. I started a PNY 512gb SD+Tarkan Gen7 (iTunes) build today. It is loading as I type.  I strongly suspect the ~55K entry limit will apply to this build, but it is worth testing.

Here is an update on the previous builds:

TeraPod #1 Gen5.5 64Ram 1Tb 840EVO+Beyondwind's RB mod. I started this project in June 2013, and finally built a working model in March 2014. I switched it to a Tarkan mSata adapter in April when I changed it to a 2000mAh battery. The TeraPod currently has just over 200gb free space. My last crash (which required a simple reset on the computer, not a full reformat) was in August 2014 when I accidentally reset it while it was playing. Despite the number of statements on this site regarding stability issues, I have found this setup to be wonderful and reliable. A full charge will run continuously for at least 18 hours. I use it almost every day, especially when traveling, which I do way too much.

I have 3 other TeraPods: TU2 same setup as #1, except uses a 850 mAh battery.  I use it at work, and it normally stays in the iPod doc. I have never crashed it. TeraPod #2 is a G5 32Ram (in a G7 housing) which I built to test the difference between 64Ram boards and 32Rams. It is stable, but occasionally has issues of drop outs during play. It was on this build that I learned that G5 mSatas can be loaded externally via the computer - significantly faster, and less hassle. I have not built a G5 64Ram yet to compare, though it is on the list.  TeraPod#4 is a copy of #1 which I use as a travel back up. All are stable. All (except the G5) were loaded from a standard iPod cable connected directly to my computer. No dual cable needed. Except for the initial setup (which was ~500gb) I load about 5-10gb per month.

I have several others - including a G5.5 BP4 250gb mSata, a G5.5 Crucial 250gb and 480gb mSatas (all RB'd), two G7 128gb SSD Kingspecs, two G6 128gb SSD Kingspecs, three G7 256gb PNY SDs, and a couple G3 128gb Sandisk SDs.  These were builds from 2011 through 2014 when I was testing different limits, speeds and compatability with my car's software. 

A G7 Lexar 256gb+Tarkan (with the firmware revision) was wholly unreliable for libraries over 45K entries. A G5.5 SuperTalent ZT2 SSD was probably the biggest pain of all, and despite 6 months of messing with it, I was never able to stabilize it. I have been able to load libraries of 56K songs into iTunes on 256gb SD and HDs on G5, G5.5 and G7 iPods. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #6,337 of 10,670

@dr408517 Really nice writeup. I am currently waiting for my 256 GB SDXC card and tarkan adapter to be delivered. When they do I'll do my best to photograph the installation process and when all is installed successfully I'll let you guys know how it performs. I am glad that you explained the mSata builds being not 'that' unreliable, I am considering doing a 7th gen mSata in the future eventually.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #6,338 of 10,670

@dr408517 Really nice writeup. I am currently waiting for my 256 GB SDXC card and tarkan adapter to be delivered. When they do I'll do my best to photograph the installation process and when all is installed successfully I'll let you guys know how it performs. I am glad that you explained the mSata builds being not 'that' unreliable, I am considering doing a 7th gen mSata in the future eventually.

I bought a dual wire about two months ago off eBay. I've used it on all of the TeraPods - but my experience is that you really have to start with a fully charged battery before you perform the first load on a new build. I usually charge overnight, and keep the loads down to about 10gb, and keep the TeraPod on frozen blocks (or even a bag of frozen peas) to keep it cool.

512gb SD at 28000 and counting.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #6,339 of 10,670
@dr408517,  Have you used any of the terapods with the iOS software?  I mostly use the iOS software and had stability issues with the terapod I built.  I have resorted back to a 128GB SDXC, and will soon move to a 256GB SDXC.  In the mean time the 1TB msata card has sat in a box for months :frowning2:.

If you have used it with iOS, did you have any issues?  Are there any does and don't that you follow so as to prevent issues from occurring?  If I recall correctly, I had issues with freezing.

I also need to get a 2000mah battery as my last one didn't work out.

Aug 26, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #6,340 of 10,670
  @dr408517,  Have you used any of the terapods with the iOS software?  I mostly use the iOS software and had stability issues with the terapod I built.  I have resorted back to a 128GB SDXC, and will soon move to a 256GB SDXC.  In the mean time the 1TB msata card has sat in a box for months :frowning2:.

If you have used it with iOS, did you have any issues?  Are there any does and don't that you follow so as to prevent issues from occurring?  If I recall correctly, I had issues with freezing.

I also need to get a 2000mah battery as my last one didn't work out.

My very first build was with an 480gb mSata and a G5.5 using the native iOS. I found a physical limit of roughly 55K songs on this setup. That was not acceptable to me, as I could code for 55K songs on a 240gb HD without a problem, so the extra space was wasted.  When BeyondWind modified RB for the mSata, I switched over to RB for the builds above 240gb.  I don't really have any significant experience with the TeraPod using iOS. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #6,341 of 10,670
Ahh, gotcha.  No worries.  I'll give it another shot and see how it works again.  maybe i'll have more patience.  If not I'll swap the msata into my laptop for additional storage.

(begin rant) I already have 2x1TB drives, for storage (Once is a backup), a 256GB Gaming SSD, and a 160GB SSD for the OS.  So the laptop has 4 HDDs.  That gaming drive will get split for gaming and additional storage.

I also plan to swap the 1TB HDDs for 2TB HDDs.  So I could have over 4 TB of space in a "laptop" once it's all said and done.  Theoretically if I went with all 2TB HDDs I'd have 8TB of space in a "laptop" but then id be slow and im addicted to the SSD load times.  :p

BTW, my "laptop" is a Clevo X7200, dual GPUs (Nvidia 485M), and a desktop CPU. (i7 980x, hexacore) and 24GB RAM :p

However the system is old, but I still see no need to replace it...yet.  Thought I'd love to have the new version, it's not something I can afford at the moment, nor have the need so can't justify it :frowning2:
(/end rant)

Aug 26, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #6,342 of 10,670
@dr408517
,  Have you used any of the terapods with the iOS software?  I mostly use the iOS software and had stability issues with the terapod I built.  I have resorted back to a 128GB SDXC, and will soon move to a 256GB SDXC.  In the mean time the 1TB msata card has sat in a box for months :frowning2:.

How many files did u have loaded on the Terapod when u had these stability issues?

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #6,345 of 10,670
Well, G7 PNY 512gb SD+Tarkan is a no-go.  Works great up to at least 54,000. When I loaded 69,400 files, the iPod ejects from iTunes just fine - however as soon as you attempt to play a song, it reboots to the Apple screen.  This is where it has been stuck for the last 15 min.

On the G5s, when you exceed the file limit, the menu no longer shows any songs on your iPod. The system reports they are all present, you just can't read any of them in the library with the iOS.

I am not really surprised, although a bit disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back