Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 2, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #4,937 of 10,664
  I pretty much completely removed every one of the lips from the front cover but left the actual clips from the back cover alone.  The clips now have nothing to click into so they don't have to be bent backwards while opening the case but I think they do help to keep the ipod together if left intact.  There is only the slightest hint of a gap between the front and the back cover, a fraction of a millimeter really.  I only notice it because I know it's there.  In my opinion it's a small price to pay for ease of opening and not buying extra back covers.  I suppose you could leave a bit of a lip if you wanted to, I experimented a bit by putting the front and back together a few times while it was empty during the operation but decided to go all the way because those clips are so stubborn.  If you decide to do this be sure to wear safety glasses while Dremeling unless you like tiny pieces of metal in your eyes!  Also be sure to remove all metal debris from the case before putting everything back together, the pieces can be surprisingly tiny and you don't want them on your precious logic board or scratching your LCD.  The 5th gen click wheel functions perfectly but is also raised a tiny bit from the front case so it's not a project for a total perfectionist.   Rest assured I'm pretty picky about aesthetics and I'm quite happy.  No more scratched up plastic fronts for me!

Thanks!  My case is coming today and I will be doing this.  What tip did you use on the dremel?  The grinding tool?

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #4,938 of 10,664
  Thanks!  My case is coming today and I will be doing this.  What tip did you use on the dremel?  The grinding tool?

WIth this tool I have been able to crack open Classics with little to no blemishes.

https://shop.icracked.com/products/isesamo-opening-tool?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=286649498&gclid=CIPX76uGxMMCFW5o7Aod0TcA9g

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #4,939 of 10,664
I haven't rock boxed it, but I charge it via fire wire connected to an outlet adaptor and sync via USB.

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #4,943 of 10,664

I used a diamond grinding bit made for cutting steel that I had from another project, but I think just about any of the Dremel grinding bits would work on the aluminum.  I also use the same style tool as Noodles to open my ipods, they can be found on Ebay from Chinese sellers for around $1 each if you don't want to pay $7 for a thin piece of steel.  I still manage to bend the rear case slightly on a thin classic using those tools which is why I removed the lips.  Even without the lips on the front the ipod is still held together quite securely and it can be opened with zero damage to the case.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #4,944 of 10,664
Has anyone ever tried to use a 120 Gb Hdd from the iPod classic 6.5 gen on the iPod 5.5 gen?

I want to buy a cheap upgrade for my 80gb but I heard some hard drives made for Apple devices like iPods are locked.

Theoretically it should work since its both iPod though it has different iPod software.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #4,945 of 10,664
Has anyone ever tried to use a 120 Gb Hdd from the iPod classic 6.5 gen on the iPod 5.5 gen?

I want to buy a cheap upgrade for my 80gb but I heard some hard drives made for Apple devices like iPods are locked.

Theoretically it should work since its both iPod though it has different iPod software.

I have my 160GB HDD from my 7.5G Classic in my 5.5GB 80GB Video and have no issues.

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #4,947 of 10,664

I tried both a 120gb and a 160gb (single platter) drive in a 5th gen (not 5.5 gen) 30gb ipod, and, puzzlingly both worked but the 120gb was very, very, slow at syncing, while the 160gb was, oddly, better in that respect (but I didn't want to use 160gb in any case as the limited memory of that ipod would have trouble making use of it anyway - I think 120gb is about the most a 5th gen 30gb logic board can actually use without the database overflowing). 
As they can apparently handle 240gb and even 1Tb, I don't think a 5.5 would have great trouble with 120gb, but I don't quite understand why my 5th gen was so slow at loading a 120gb (and still less do I understand why it was actually faster at loading a 160gb).

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #4,948 of 10,664

I tried both a 120gb and a 160gb (single platter) drive in a 5th gen (not 5.5 gen) 30gb ipod, and, puzzlingly both worked but the 120gb was very, very, slow at syncing, while the 160gb was, oddly, better in that respect (but I didn't want to use 160gb in any case as the limited memory of that ipod would have trouble making use of it anyway - I think 120gb is about the most a 5th gen 30gb logic board can actually use without the database overflowing). 
As they can apparently handle 240gb and even 1Tb, I don't think a 5.5 would have great trouble with 120gb, but I don't quite understand why my 5th gen was so slow at loading a 120gb (and still less do I understand why it was actually faster at loading a 160gb).

From you post my 5.5 gen 80gb would probably work with the single platter 160 gb HDD that are from the ipod classic 7th gen. Ill probably get a single platter hard drive the same as the 7th gen for my 5.5 gen.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back