Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 25, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #3,946 of 10,664
Based on a google search, that standard Samsung SSD deos not contain an mSata drive in it.
Edit: and then there is this teardown. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-840-evo-review-1tb-ssd,3567-3.html

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #3,947 of 10,664
  Based on a google search, that standard Samsung SSD deos not contain an mSata drive in it.
Edit: and then there is this teardown. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-840-evo-review-1tb-ssd,3567-3.html

Thanks, very good point !! So I will go for the "naked" mSata

Last question:

After SSD-mod I now have a 80gb-iPod-HardDisks left over.

Does anyone know a good Zif-to-USB-adapter/case ?

Would like to use it like an "bigger" USB-stick :)

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #3,948 of 10,664
  Thanks, very good point !! So I will go for the "naked" mSata

Last question:

After SSD-mod I now have a 80gb-iPod-HardDisks left over.

Would like to use it like an "bigger" USB-stick :)

Something like this sold at eBay. 

I actually just pulled out the 160GB HDD from one of my 7g's, and I may do the same thing about that spare HDD.

I swapped that HDD for a Promaster CF card. Using the Apple iOS firmware, I am stunned by the battery power efficiency. I am talking about an used 7g stock battery. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #3,949 of 10,664

Something like this sold at eBay. 

I actually just pulled out the 160GB HDD from one of my 7g's, and I may do the same thing about that spare HDD.

I swapped that HDD for a Promaster CF card. Using the Apple iOS firmware, I am stunned by the battery power efficiency. I am talking about an used 7g stock battery. 

Do sdxc cards offer the same sort of battery life? I never had a problem with the hard drive and battery life on my 7th gen ipod.  I'm loath to use that one as experimenting on as I need something reliable to listen to at work!

Oct 26, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #3,950 of 10,664

Do sdxc cards offer the same sort of battery life? I never had a problem with the hard drive and battery life on my 7th gen ipod.  I'm loath to use that one as experimenting on as I need something reliable to listen to at work!

From my previous experience the CF's definitely do better, which is understandable due to one less component drawing power.

The 7g I opened last night was bought last yr but I never bothered to use the Apple iOS and went straight to RB. Battery was not very good with RB on 7g. Anyways with the swap for a CF card, the power efficiency is day and night.

This 7g with the CF is basically for on the go. It's thin and now lighter with big hrs. I have been very much against using the iTunes, still am. But the MediaMonkey solved that problem. The ipod firmware is actually pretty good with nice looking UI, just the iTunes sucks.

Oct 26, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #3,951 of 10,664
So my 5.5 is struggling playing anything above 2116k. I'm running a Kingston cf on a Tarkan adaptor. should I switch to RB? The ipod is at 59gb of 64gb. Is it too full?

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #3,954 of 10,664
I don't have that Kingston CF card, but I have never experienced any limitation issues with RB using CF cards up to 256GB and mSATA's up to 1TB when they are fully loaded. But most of my music albums are lossless images with cue files, so the number of files are much less.

OK, here is the update on the 2000mAh battery for my diymod with the [size=12.7272720336914px]Wellcore 256GB CF fully loaded. Currently the RB info shows the battery has zero % and zero minutes remaining while it is still playing, but I guess it's very close to being completely drained. It has logged close to 50 hrs with my usual aggressive folder browsing and [/size][size=12.7272720336914px]album [/size][size=12.7272720336914px]switching, with the ipod powered on and off a few times daily. The continuous play hrs don't mean much to me as that's not how I practically use the ipod. [/size][size=12.7272720336914px]These hrs are all for playing lossless files (primarily FLAC's and some WAV's) thru external amp.[/size]

[size=12.7272720336914px]The RB battery indicator is inaccurate and basically useless for this battery, so I modified the wps file and got rid of the indicator. Well, with so many hrs who really care about the battery indicator. :)[/size]

[size=12.7272720336914px]Next I am planning to put a 256GB CF in one of my 7g running the Apple firmware. [/size]

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #3,955 of 10,664
  I don't have that Kingston CF card, but I have never experienced any limitation issues with RB using CF cards up to 256GB and mSATA's up to 1TB when they are fully loaded. But most of my music albums are lossless images with cue files, so the number of files are much less.

OK, here is the update on the 2000mAh battery for my diymod with the [size=12.7272720336914px]Wellcore 256GB CF fully loaded. Currently the RB info shows the battery has zero % and zero minutes remaining while it is still playing, but I guess it's very close to being completely drained. It has logged close to 50 hrs with my usual aggressive folder browsing and [/size][size=12.7272720336914px]album [/size][size=12.7272720336914px]switching, with the ipod powered on and off a few times daily. The continuous play hrs don't mean much to me as that's not how I practically use the ipod. [/size][size=12.7272720336914px]These hrs are all for playing lossless files (primarily FLAC's and some WAV's) thru external amp.[/size]

[size=12.7272720336914px]The RB battery indicator is inaccurate and basically useless for this battery, so I modified the wps file and got rid of the indicator. Well, with so many hrs who really care about the battery indicator. :)[/size]

[size=12.7272720336914px]Next I am planning to put a 256GB CF in one of my 7g running the Apple firmware. [/size]

That battery would last me an entire weeks worth of listening at work on one charge!  Should last most flights I reckon....

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #3,956 of 10,664

I've just bought a KingSpan adapter from Amazon but can't get the 80GB disk to work. It was working fine in the iPod.

I first tried formatting it with a Mac, but get an I/O error every time.

I then tried Windows and it formatted the drive, but only to 29GB, not 80.

I tried a low-level format on both machines but no better, so I don't know if the issue is with the drive or the adapter.

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #3,957 of 10,664
  That battery would last me an entire weeks worth of listening at work on one charge!  Should last most flights I reckon....

Sure with the CF mod, maybe 2 weeks if you don't browse the folders or switch albums that much. The longest flight I have ever gone thru was 48 hrs when I was stuck in an airport for 24 hrs waiting for transfer due to low visibility from bad weather. 

Now if you can pair this battery with a 7g CF mod running the Apple firmware and playing 320kbps, I believe you will probably just need to charge it once every quarter of the year. LOL.

I've just bought a KingSpan adapter from Amazon but can't get the 80GB disk to work. It was working fine in the iPod.

I first tried formatting it with a Mac, but get an I/O error every time.

I then tried Windows and it formatted the drive, but only to 29GB, not 80.

I tried a low-level format on both machines but no better, so I don't know if the issue is with the drive or the adapter.

Did you try to format it as a removable drive inside ipod, then take it out and put it in that adapter?

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #3,960 of 10,664
I had a rather interesting observation today while building a 240gb 5.5gen, using the standard green adapter and a new Milliamp 850mAh battery. The USB load of the first 60-80gb was a giant pain. The battery would drain completely with a load greater than 10-15 gb. I stuck with it, loading and recharging, in 6-8 gb packets. Tedious. It took a couple of days to get about 60gb loaded.

I charged the battery overnight to 100%. I connected it this morning and noted the battery was not draining at all while loading. I worked myway up to 30gb in each load before I finally reached a full mSata. I don't really know what to make of this. I've noticed a similar behavior with the 1T builds - the initial loads generate a lot of heat and tend to drain the battery more than subsequent loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back