Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 1, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #3,603 of 10,664

I can not speak for the particular setup, I installed crucial drive with thermal gel, have no problem in copying my entire music library in one shot, about 200gb  The crucial drive have been  engineered with thermal monitoring so at high temperature it will throttling down on transfer, heat should be less an issue.

The inaccessible issue must be related to data corruption from power instability during data transfer, the keywords "power loss data protection"  should give you a good answer by googling.

The only drive I recommend is crucial, it have end-to-end data protection with onboard capacitor pool in the time of power disruption.

It sounds like that dual firewire/USB cable will really help to maintain power stability without relying on the battery power for file transfer. Yeah, the Crucial did not give any trouble for loading that 480GB full via USB, but this Samsung 1TB seems sensitive to heat during file transfer. The most I got it loaded so far was around 600GB's before it stopped copying files and became inaccessible. 

EDIT: So the power instability is caused by the heated battery?

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #3,604 of 10,664
I HAVE PROGRESS!

• Choose the “Rockbox” option, wait for Rockbox to boot (Complaints about the rockbox.ipod file being missing are normal at this point.)
  • Wait for the iPod’s hard disk drive to connect and become accessible from your PC.

I get an 'error accessing playlist control file' when it comes up with the usb cable, then sometimes a 'panic usb storage connection' message.

Any ideas?

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #3,605 of 10,664
  I HAVE PROGRESS!

• Choose the “Rockbox” option, wait for Rockbox to boot (Complaints about the rockbox.ipod file being missing are normal at this point.)
  • Wait for the iPod’s hard disk drive to connect and become accessible from your PC.

I get an 'error accessing playlist control file' when it comes up with the usb cable, then sometimes a 'panic usb storage connection' message.

Any ideas?

The ssd need to be formatted by emcore. And what's your emcore version? I bet you didn't use my patched up version.

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #3,606 of 10,664
For now I gave up on file transfer to the 1TB via USB relying on ipod's battery. I don't think that alone will get the 1TB completely filled without corrupting the drive at some point. The dual firewire/USB cable may have a good chance getting the job done, since it won't rely on ipod's battery for power.

With @dr408517's tips, I am now transferring the files to this drive via motherboard. It works great this way so far for the 5g, and much faster transfer speed too. By the way, this drive is switchable between the 5g/30GB and 5g/60GB models. I already tested this.

I will load this babe full via motherboard and see if there is any issue.

EDIT: Did this MyDigitalSSD 480GB mSATA just come out recently? No review yet at Amazon. 

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #3,607 of 10,664
  The ssd need to be formatted by emcore. And what's your emcore version? I bet you didn't use my patched up version.

Thanks for your help beyondwind. It turns out everything I was doing was correct, as per your instructions. Apparenly the cable I was using was a dud ha. Probably the cause of every problem since I started this thing.

Everything appears to be working fine now, though. :D

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #3,608 of 10,664
  For now I gave up on file transfer to the 1TB via USB relying on ipod's battery. I don't think that alone will get the 1TB completely filled without corrupting the drive at some point. The dual firewire/USB cable may have a good chance getting the job done, since it won't rely on ipod's battery for power.

With @dr408517's tips, I am now transferring the files to this drive via motherboard. It works great this way so far for the 5g, and much faster transfer speed too. By the way, this drive is switchable between the 5g/30GB and 5g/60GB models. I already tested this.

I will load this babe full via motherboard and see if there is any issue.

EDIT: Did this MyDigitalSSD 480GB mSATA just come out recently? No review yet at Amazon. 

I too am curious if anyone has experience with that MyDigitalSSD, either the 480GB model specifically, or even just that brand in general.

It looks like a good deal at $199 with a 2 year warranty, I think I'll use it when my Tarkan adapter arrives.

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #3,609 of 10,664

I too am curious if anyone has experience with that MyDigitalSSD, either the 480GB  model specifically, or even just that brand in general.

It looks like a good deal at $199 with a 2 year warranty, I think i will use it when my Tarkan adapter arrives.

I have a pair of these BP4's and they work great. I would actually recommend this drive for the 256GB mod over the SDXC (very competitive cost wise).

Update on the Samsung 1TB:
Uploaded about 700 GB's via motherboard, put it back to the ipod and everything works great. :)

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #3,611 of 10,664
Can you please post a picture of how you connected the card to the PC?

I am in the office now away from the home desktop used to load the files. But it's similar to the pic shown in this post by dr408517. You just put the msata in the adapter, and then connect the adapter to the SATA slot on the motherboard and power with the cable. I used this cable.  The 4 pins are for power plug.

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #3,612 of 10,664

I am in the office now away from the home desktop used to load the files. But it's similar to the pic shown in this post by dr408517. You just put the msata in the adapter, and then connect the adapter to the SATA slot on the motherboard and power with the cable. I used this cable.  The 4 pins are for power plug.

Then I dead in the water because I am a laptop user. :frowning2:

Wait!

Can it be done via the laptop eSATA port?

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #3,613 of 10,664
Man, I wish there was an easy way to convert iTunes playlists to Rockbox playlists. That's the only thing that keeps me using a dual boot between iOS and Rockbox. I need to just take a lot of hours and recreate my playlists in Rockbox. Is there a way to backup Rockbox play lists?

Mostly wondering because I should be getting my 1TB msata, and Tarken adaptor today or tommororow hopefully. And my 2000mAh batter soon as well.

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #3,615 of 10,664
Man, I wish there was an easy way to convert iTunes playlists to Rockbox playlists. That's the only thing that keeps me using a dual boot between iOS and Rockbox. I need to just take a lot of hours and recreate my playlists in Rockbox. Is there a way to backup Rockbox play lists?

Mostly wondering because I should be getting my 1TB msata, and Tarken adaptor today or tommororow hopefully. And my 2000mAh batter soon as well.

I personally prefer folders and folders in folders, perhaps because more than 90% of my music are images (wav/flac/ape+cue).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back