Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #3,526 of 3,807
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 13, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #3,527 of 3,807
Hi everyone
How should HE1000 v2 headphone connectors be wired for 4.4mm Penntacon? Is this the correct way?

Wiring.png

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #3,528 of 3,807
Has anyone found any third-party solutions for HE1000 V2 earpads. Originals are of very poor quality. I have posted here about this. I have seen an earpad by an eBay seller which is made with lambskin. Anyone here tried those? Seems to be good quality and the seller says they have the same dimensions. Sound quality may be little affected due to material change. But I am fed up with these pads as they fall apart within a year even you do not use them.

I have found some sheepskin third-party pads. These are the pictures and the seller says they have the same original measurements. The headband is too sheepskin and black. I am going to order and see. I expect some change in sound signature, but it may serve well too.

Attachments

• IMG_20210324_165406.jpg
    IMG_20210324_165406.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210411_091058.jpg
    IMG_20210411_091058.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210412_073604.jpg
    IMG_20210412_073604.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210412_073611.jpg
    IMG_20210412_073611.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 0
Apr 16, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #3,529 of 3,807
I have found some sheepskin third-party pads. These are the pictures and the seller says they have the same original measurements. The headband is too sheepskin and black. I am going to order and see. I expect some change in sound signature, but it may serve well too.
Please do and can you also give link to the third party pads? :)

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #3,530 of 3,807
Got the pads They are of good quality. Have the same dimensions as the originals. The sound signature changed a little I think the mild grittiness of upper mids is a bit tamed now. Bass response is a little augmented. But bass is not boomy! The upper treble is a bit livelier but not sibilant. I like what I hear.
He sent me a headband too. The headband needs a bit of tweaking to install. I will discuss this with him.
One has to remove the plastic mount with inner fabric from the original pads carefully, to install this.
When I tried to remove the headband, I saw the quality of materials used in this headphone. I carefully removed the two drivers from the steel headbands. The material is of very poor quality. The screws used to fix the drivers and inner plastic parts are just mediocre stuff. I can not believe these Cans cost 2999 USD.
They sound wonderful, however. It is an engineering achievement that they produce this kind of sound quality from just cheap materials like this. Hifiman charging us for that technology! Wonderful Can with world-class sound quality made out of cheap materials (for a premium price)!! :ksc75smile:

Attachments

• pad1.jpeg
    pad1.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
  • pad2.jpeg
    pad2.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
  • pad3.jpeg
    pad3.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #3,532 of 3,807
Got the pads They are of good quality. Have the same dimensions as the originals. The sound signature changed a little I think the mild grittiness of upper mids is a bit tamed now. Bass response is a little augmented. But bass is not boomy! The upper treble is a bit livelier but not sibilant. I like what I hear.
He sent me a headband too. The headband needs a bit of tweaking to install. I will discuss this with him.
One has to remove the plastic mount with inner fabric from the original pads carefully, to install this.
When I tried to remove the headband, I saw the quality of materials used in this headphone. I carefully removed the two drivers from the steel headbands. The material is of very poor quality. The screws used to fix the drivers and inner plastic parts are just mediocre stuff. I can not believe these Cans cost 2999 USD.
They sound wonderful, however. It is an engineering achievement that they produce this kind of sound quality from just cheap materials like this. Hifiman charging us for that technology! Wonderful Can with world-class sound quality made out of cheap materials (for a premium price)!! :ksc75smile:

Do you have a link to these pads?

Apr 22, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #3,533 of 3,807
Is it ok to post eBay links here?

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #3,534 of 3,807
Is it ok to post eBay links here?
I believe you can link from eBay (just based on how often I see it in the tube rolling threads). The leather pads do sound interesting, but worried it may void the warranty, so I may hold off for now. Thank you for the impressions though!

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #3,535 of 3,807
Ok, Here we go! But I do not have any personal link with the store owner or get any benefit from him. I just searched for alternatives as I was so pissed with the quality of original pads. Hence I found this and I think they are good alternatives. I just post the link for forum members benefit!

https://www.ebay.com/usr/dreamav

www.ebay.com/itm/133500017164

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #3,536 of 3,807
One of the most egregious RMA experiences I’ve ever had. Shipped the damaged product last week, arrived Monday, they said returned products are checked in Monday, since then it’s been a back and forth of “we need a five days for our colleague to check in in” to “we’ve sent message to have it checked tomorrow” and back to “kindly wait some more days”, length undetermined. Beyond furious. I just want a pair back.

Susvara and Shang Jr were on my list of potential next purchases, but after this? Not a chance.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #3,537 of 3,807
Hey guys! I just bought a pair of used HE1000v2 for roughly 1350$. It has the old 2.5mm style and the headband and earpads are slightly worn. I have some questions now:
1. Can I buy a replacement leather headstrap? doesn't matter if it's for he1000v2 or he1000se?
2. This model has the cloth material attached to the earpds. If I buy new earpads without the cloth. Does it affect the sound?
3. What kind of AMP/DAC do you suggest for HE1000? More analytical like A90 or THX789 or something warmer like Asgard? If I can get a hair more bass impact that would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.

May 12, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #3,538 of 3,807
Hey guys! I just bought a pair of used HE1000v2 for roughly 1350$. It has the old 2.5mm style and the headband and earpads are slightly worn. I have some questions now:
1. Can I buy a replacement leather headstrap? doesn't matter if it's for he1000v2 or he1000se?
2. This model has the cloth material attached to the earpds. If I buy new earpads without the cloth. Does it affect the sound?
3. What kind of AMP/DAC do you suggest for HE1000? More analytical like A90 or THX789 or something warmer like Asgard? If I can get a hair more bass impact that would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.
1. Yes, you'll have to reach out to Hifiman customer service directly (@TeamHiFiMAN) and they'll provide instructions on how to enter your order in. They'll ask you which HEK headstrap you'd like to order (v1, v2, or se). Before doing that, I would test out to see whether the screws holding the headstrap can be unfastened first. Be careful, I believe that they strip pretty easily. Better get a jeweler screwdriver set (only a few bucks) at a local hardware store if you don't have any other precision screwdrivers available. I replaced the headstrap on my HEKv1, so let me know if you need any help.

Quick tip: For the end portion of the headstrap assembly that has a beaded protrusion used to catch the indentations of the headband, be sure to bend that end portion outward slightly using a plier. Be sure to test it on the headband before finishing screwing the headstrap assembly together with the headstrap sliders. The reason why is that the stock configuration of the beaded end portion does not catch the headband holes (i.e. the headband sliders move up and down without resistance). I learned this the hard way and had to go back and bend the end portions. If you bend the end portions outward too much, then you won't be able to move the headstrap slider since it will be caught at that one position. You'll have to test it out to see how much you'll like the headband sliders to move.

2. Full leather earpads are sold by a third-party Chinese seller on ebay and retaining rings are not included if I remember correctly. You'll have to take the retaining rings from the existing ear pads to use in the leather earpads. However, there have been fit issues with the leather earpads where the inner lip is supposedly too thick, so the retaining ring cannot clasp onto the earcup. You can message the ebay seller to see whether that issue has been resolved.

3. That's up to you. I have a HEKv1 and I enjoy it more out of the Liquid Platinum than my THX AAA 789. I haven't heard the Asgard or A90 amps. IMO, the best bass impact came from running it from speaker taps on my Marantz MM7025. Unfortunately, the noise floor is audible (just barely) on the Marantz power amp. On my Bryston 3B-ST (speaker power amp for my HE-6), I can definitely hear the noise floor with the HEKv1. With a sensitivity of 90 mW/dB, choices for speaker amps will be limited for the HEK. Then again, HEK's are not really known for their slam.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #3,539 of 3,807
1. Yes, you'll have to reach out to Hifiman customer service directly (@TeamHiFiMAN) and they'll provide instructions on how to enter your order in. They'll ask you which HEK headstrap you'd like to order (v1, v2, or se). Before doing that, I would test out to see whether the screws holding the headstrap can be unfastened first. Be careful, I believe that they strip pretty easily. Better get a jeweler screwdriver set (only a few bucks) at a local hardware store if you don't have any other precision screwdrivers available. I replaced the headstrap on my HEKv1, so let me know if you need any help.

Quick tip: For the end portion of the headstrap assembly that has a beaded protrusion used to catch the indentations of the headband, be sure to bend that end portion outward slightly using a plier. Be sure to test it on the headband before finishing screwing the headstrap assembly together with the headstrap sliders. The reason why is that the stock configuration of the beaded end portion does not catch the headband holes (i.e. the headband sliders move up and down without resistance). I learned this the hard way and had to go back and bend the end portions. If you bend the end portions outward too much, then you won't be able to move the headstrap slider since it will be caught at that one position. You'll have to test it out to see how much you'll like the headband sliders to move.

2. Full leather earpads are sold by a third-party Chinese seller on ebay and retaining rings are not included if I remember correctly. You'll have to take the retaining rings from the existing ear pads to use in the leather earpads. However, there have been fit issues with the leather earpads where the inner lip is supposedly too thick, so the retaining ring cannot clasp onto the earcup. You can message the ebay seller to see whether that issue has been resolved.

3. That's up to you. I have a HEKv1 and I enjoy it more out of the Liquid Platinum than my THX AAA 789. I haven't heard the Asgard or A90 amps. IMO, the best bass impact came from running it from speaker taps on my Marantz MM7025. Unfortunately, the noise floor is audible (just barely) on the Marantz power amp. On my Bryston 3B-ST (speaker power amp for my HE-6), I can definitely hear the noise floor with the HEKv1. With a sensitivity of 90 mW/dB, choices for speaker amps will be limited for the HEK. Then again, HEK's are not really known for their slam.
Thanks for the detailed explanation :)
I'll definitely let you know when I received the replacement headstrap

May 15, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #3,540 of 3,807

Users who are viewing this thread

Back