Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #2,626 of 3,807
Has anyone ever tried the HE-1000 with the RWA Audeze headphone amp?  I sold my LCD-X phones last year and am deciding between getting a new pair of 'phones for that amp or selling the amp altogether.  I had the RWA in a system with PS Audio Transport / PS Audio DSD.  Have recently read a few reviews of the HE-1000 and wondered how/if it would pair with that amp.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #2,630 of 3,807
When I compared the EF-6 to five other amps driving the HE1000, it came out on top.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/767883/official-hifiman-he1000-impressions-thread/405#post_11666342

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #2,632 of 3,807
Yeah, fantastic and thorough comparative review...  Would be unfair to ask more of such work. However, I personally wish the list of amps included a Microzotl 2, since I have seen at least one professional review that speaks highly of the zotl2 + He1000...  I am just saying that, not to criticize the reviewer, but probably because I still want to hear someone's impression about how to Zotl2 might fare in comparison with the other amps lined up in the review, especially, the ef-6 and the ragnarok.

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #2,633 of 3,807
When I compared the EF-6 to five other amps driving the HE1000, it came out on top.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/767883/official-hifiman-he1000-impressions-thread/405#post_11666342

I'll be surprised if the EF6 don't come out on top when comparing to CEntrance HiFi M8, Joseph Grado Signature Products HPA1, Sennheiser HDVD 800, Schiit Lyr........

Seriously, at EF6 asking price, there are many better choices. The cheapest one I heard that bettered the EF6 was a Ruditor RP-030 clone from China, which only cost USD499.

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #2,634 of 3,807
Yeah, fantastic and thorough comparative review...  Would be unfair to ask more of such work. However, I personally wish the list of amps included a Microzotl 2, since I have seen at least one professional review that speaks highly of the zotl2 + He1000...  I am just saying that, not to criticize the reviewer, but probably because I still want to hear someone's impression about how to Zotl2 might fare in comparison with the other amps lined up in the review, especially, the ef-6 and the ragnarok.

I agree, the MicroZOTL has been discovered by the like of DoctorJazz as a SUPERB amp for the HE1000. I just didn't have one on hand to compare.

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #2,635 of 3,807

My ears were burning!!!!
Yes, the MicroZOTL2 and the HEK are a great combo, many on the ZOTL thread have agreed! I don't have the other amps to give a comparison, I do have the Liquid Carbon, had the RSA HR-2, have the Geek Out Special Edition, The Centrance M8. Also have headphone out on my preamp in my main system (Peachtree Grandpre). ZOTL is much better than all the above with the HEK (and scales up with a better LPS power supply and tube rolling).
My $0.02

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #2,636 of 3,807
I heard the latest ZOTL at last NYmeet and I have to agree it has the three things to look for:
Power
Realism
soundstage

I liked it as one of my few fav and posted about it in the meet impression thread about 3month ago.

And yes it was excellent with the HE1000.
Edit:
So, yes I agree totally with above post...

But the new Jotunheim has over 5 Watts output power for the HEK, and sounds great as well..

Sep 10, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #2,637 of 3,807
The HE1000 sounded much better with the Oppo headphone amp than with the Sennheiser HDVD800. The Oppo complements the HEK quite well. The high mids are still a bit hard compared to Stax 007, but better otherwise, and the bass doesn't fall away from mids. I wonder if anyone has heard the new version of the HEK already.

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #2,638 of 3,807
[quote name="Maxx134"
I heard the latest ZOTL at last NYmeet and I have to agree it has the three things to look for:
Power
Realism
soundstage

I liked it as one of my few fav and posted about it in the meet impression thread about 3month ago.

Edit:

But the new Jotunheim has over 5 Watts output power for the HEK, and sounds great as well..[/quote]

The new Jot can be ordered with a DAC but not sure if it is as good as a higher quality standalone DAC likes of Yaggy or Chord. Has anyone paired the Jot with a better DAC with the HEK?

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #2,639 of 3,807
[quote name="Maxx134"
Power
Realism
soundstage

Edit:

But the new Jotunheim has over 5 Watts output power for the HEK, and sounds great as well..

The new Jot can be ordered with a DAC but not sure if it is as good as a higher quality standalone DAC likes of Yaggy or Chord. Has anyone paired the Jot with a better DAC with the HEK?[/quote]

I'm a happy ZOTL/HEK user; haven't heard the Jotunheim, maybe at the winter meet in the Philadelphia area? More power may be mo' better, don't know, think there's more to it than just watts...

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #2,640 of 3,807
The new Jot can be ordered with a DAC but not sure if it is as good as a higher quality standalone DAC likes of Yaggy or Chord. Has anyone paired the Jot with a better DAC with the HEK?

Jodie is very resolving of whatever you feed it. I listened to Mimby, Mojo, Codex, Gumby, Yggy through Jot > HE1K - at each step of the progression, I heard a delta. I'm using Yggy > Jot > HE1K, and loving it.

Still does not take away from MicroZOTL2, which is connected to one of the unbalanced outputs of either the Yggy or Gumby, depending on which room it sits in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back