Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #376 of 3,817
 at issue here is what you define "TOTL": if you are a true-blue audiophile TOTL is probably a modded HD800 attached to a monster SS amp that allows you to hear a fly buzzing in a concert hall. You don't care if that setup would give you a splitting headache if you tried to listen to, say, "Sgt Pepper" CD for more than 10', because you only listen to well-recorded music at the highest possible resolution.  OTH, if you focus more on the music side of the hobby, TOTL is a headphone that works great with all sorts of music, and that does not distract you from the music flowevery time a cymbal is hit (BTW I agree HE1K has a problem with cymbals).

Intentionally or not, HE1K seems to be the latest attempt to build such a "universal" headphone.  I have personally owned two headphones in this lineage, AKG K701 and Beyer T1, and while I have yet to post the promised review, I do believe HE1K bests them sonically in every possible aspect, as it should at its price.
I actually agree with you. I also have a long overdue review to do but my room is almost done with renovations and I want a nice setup to compare my SR009, HD800 and HE1000.

The HE1000 are true genre masters. But they are also a jack of all trades, master of none. Some find fault in that, I personally don't given my purpose is to use these in office, but would like more engagement and realism as I expect from a TOTL headphone.

I see them as a nice complement to my HD800. No it doesn't give me a headache while listening to Beatles, but the HE1000 is undoubtedly the easier listen. But on the same token I cannot see why the HE1000 should not be able to scale with better recordings and setups while sounding great with other less stellar recordings, like the SR009/KGSSHV combo I have.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #377 of 3,817
@calaf you completely miss the point. Resolution and bests headphones with best rigs allow to enjoy more the music. There's no opposition between resolution, accuracy and music enjoyment.

That said, I'm in the camp of people who think an accurate headphone should make sound crappy recordings like crap. That's why I put money in audio. If I want forgiving headphones , I buy a cheap one.

we should not derail this thread, but there is a big difference between forgiving and musical: LCD2 is forgiving and (often) musical, HE1K is musical but not forgiving. HD800 is neither...

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #379 of 3,817

we should not derail this thread, but there is a big difference between forgiving and musical: LCD2 is forgiving and (often) musical, HE1K is musical but not forgiving. HD800 is neither...

The HEK are forgiving imo. I can listen to anything, both extremely good and extremely mediocre recordings, without distracting me one bit from work. The problem is exceptional recordings are not exactly sounding stellar either. I did this for days on end. They are more relaxed and less engaging compared to other established flagships, such as the HD800s, HE-6s for example, in the same conditions. That should not be confused with "musical". Accurate transducers are inherently musical.

The HD800s have some flaws, including but not limited to: treble peak, whistling, sibilance, reflections, limited sub-bass response. Also they are highly revealing, which doesn't help in the wrong mix. No headphones are perfect, and these for sure aren't. But I can tolerate some flaws with the HD800s for what they do extremely well in the right combination of gear, genres and recordings. Frankly the HD800s can be real bi****, but there are great rewards with them too. That's why people mod them and go to other great lengths.

However I cannot really accept mediocre engaging, energetic and dull edges on a flagship. Simply because I don't think that's how those recordings sound. This is also of course relative to other flagships (including speakers), not in a vacuum.

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #381 of 3,817
The "musical" term makes me cringe... it's a sooooooo subjective thing. Depends on tastes and music listened.

With the diverse opinions on the sound of the HE1000, it shows that all this is subjective. Life is subjective. I have gone to live acoustical performances of classical that were great, IMO while others thought it was so-so. I heard a performance in a smaller wood church and so much wanted to enjoy the sound but it was all defuse. I got within 6 feet of the lead violinist and still couldn't get placement, which I enjoy (imaging) because the acoustics didn't allow for it. Others loved the performance and yes the "music" was great but the complete package wasn't there for "me". So IMO, so much is subjective and how could it be anything else. 

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #382 of 3,817
Lots of things being said are subjective.  

I guess it's all relative.  I for one can not find the love for the HD800s that many here do.  IMO that headphone is not engaging or involving at all.  

I find the HE-6 "NO LESS" resolving than the HD800s on my rig.  

At time the soundstage of the HD800 is unwanted and makes certain music sound distant (Jazz Trios).  Other times it's spot on (Large Orchestra Works). Even with female jazz vocals the HD800s are a bit thin and yet again a bit distant.  They got very limited headtime with me - the HE-6, LCD-3F, 007, 009 and now the Abyss just pushed them out the house.  The last time I sold them - I bought them back.  Lets see how much I miss them this time..

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #383 of 3,817
  So Negura, what do you think of LCD3Fs? (I seem them in your signature.) Thx in advance-- 'appreciate it.
(FWIW, I find these these Audezes, which I own, to be the king of "engaging". 2nd place in engaging to me is my Grado GS1000e. 3rd place is my PM1, but I would like some more sparkly treble in those. This is an important factor I have to say. Thanks for bringing it up.)

Ah yes that. I said in the other thread I have 4 flagships and two will go. I will keep the HD800s and HE-6s. They are complementary and between them, they cover all genres extremely well. The 3Fs are more engaging than the stock HEK though, but they are modded (removed grills and foam and replaced cables; vegan pads). I am not in a huge rush to sell the 3Fs, but I will sell them.

The wild card is if anything interesting enough happens with production HEK. Then the game is back on.

In many ways I'm with you. I understand where you're coming from in rgds to HD800s. I sold and bought the HD800s again several times, exactly because in the long term I keep headphones based on how much I use them. Last time I sold them it was because of the Stax SR-009s. I was lukewarm to them when I got this pair, but have made progress with modding them to my liking: no dust covers/rug liner/Norne Draug cabling. The removal of dust covers + rug liner is silly simple and obvious (idea not my merit) and they stepped up well in resolution/clarity.

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #384 of 3,817
It's interesting Negura that you mention the Norne cable on the HD800, as the Norne Draug2 was a big plus to my Hifiman 560, hitting the aggressive treble just where it hurts, and adding fullness to the bass and lower mids and vocals.
Maybe the Draug2 will work out with the HE1K, also... Just a thought since it seems nice with Hifiman phones. Thx again.

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #385 of 3,817
  It's interesting Negura that you mention the Norne cable on the HD800, as the Norne Draug2 was a big plus to my Hifiman 560, hitting the aggressive treble just where it hurts, and adding fullness to the bass and lower mids and vocals.
Maybe the Draug2 will work out with the HE1K, also... Just a thought since it seems nice with Hifiman phones. Thx again.

I agree. I did not like the HD800 with the stock cable but the Zeus (OCC Copper) did the trick too.
For the HE1K I have a WireWorld Nano Platinum cable burning in. It is OCC Silver. I am waiting for DHC Complement4 and the MIT Vero Reference to try with them too.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 4, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #386 of 3,817
So have any measurements been done on the frequency response? 

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #388 of 3,817

Craig,  Did you get a chance to hear these on the F1J for a good amount of time?  

No I didn't. I've been using the Wells Audio Headtrip and the EC 2A3 MKIV. 

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #389 of 3,817
Yep, 'looking forward musicman to any cable impressions. Thanks. (I use Zeus OCC copper extension cables on my Grados. It's the best extension I have found. I don't like to recable captive-cable phones.)
So the HE1000 cables are all just 6 feet (or is it 2 meters)? If so, I think aftermarket cables may be a pretty common experience for these.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #390 of 3,817
I just got back my HE1K from my uncle and I put on Frank Zappa's One Size Fits All and The Yggdrasil and Ragnarock make it sound wonderous, I have tears in my eyes. I am not sure if its burn in of the HE1K or brain burn in, but regardless wow. The sound is so natural, so revealing, so musical. All the inztruments and vocals sound natural, and revealing without making the music grants ny, or overlly bright. The bass is spot on perfect almost like a subwoofer. The soundstage is nice and effortlessly holograpgic, that appears around ones ear, without being forward or undooly intimate.

San'Berdino just blew me away,the instruments were spot on and textured, the vocal are so realistic and natural. With these headphones I have no problem understanding the vocals and their textured nuisances. The speed of these cans never fails me how fast they can transcend the dynamic range of these great headphones. If one can afford theze cans then go for it, I am totally smitten by these puppies. And I thank my Uncle for splitting the cost. I can not wait to compare these cans to the MrSpeaker's Ether's that I have pre-ordered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back