Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #601 of 761
It been over a month and I still have them, that in itself says something ! ...LoL

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #602 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It been over a month and I still have them, that in itself says something ! ...LoL

How do you like the Doc's compared to the 325? I am thinking of trying the 225/325 next. I need to try higher end Grado's to compare to these. I'd like to keep these, but I'm just curious as to how you feel about the 325's vs Doc's.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #603 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you like the Doc's compared to the 325? I am thinking of trying the 225/325 next. I need to try higher end Grado's to compare to these. I'd like to keep these, but I'm just curious as to how you feel about the 325's vs Doc's.
-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

The SQ are about the same, just a slight little tad less bright, but the DOCs are way more comfortable and not as heavy, with the SR325i they always felt as they were about fall off my head. If you read my other posts concerning my suspicions on Grado drivers you will know why the Docs could be so similar in sonic signatures. Grado even says that the iGrado uses the same drivers as the SR60, that gives it away !

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #604 of 761
Has anyone done a comparison with these and the 555's? I could see someone said they would, but I dunno if they did

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #606 of 761
I finally got my DR150's a couple weeks ago and I love them. The SQ is great. The soundstage sounded very flat right out of the box but it really opened up after burn in. I think im gonna wait until i get my TC-7510 working before I mod these so I can have a decent source for a comparison. Exactly how much does removing the extra cloth help? and is there any risk whatsoever of hurting these things at all?

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #607 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevg73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly how much does removing the extra cloth help? and is there any risk whatsoever of hurting these things at all?

It improved my overall sound with a noticeable improvement it the low to mid area.

As for hurting them....YES you can & I did:

I removed the four screws (Make sure you have the CORRECT screw driver) and lifted the pad and speaker assembly most of the way out and then laid that part on its side. This is what I did wrong on the first one I broke a spacer stop that is about 1/4" X 1/4" that I had to super glue back in place.

The spacers are on each side of each ear speaker by the swivel hinge.

I was trying to keep everything close as possible and not do damage to whatever was inside (One half having wires and circuit boards attached to more of the same)...I guess I must have folded the two halves of one ear before totally clearing the two halves,,although I thought I did it correctly and it may have been broken from the factory....But superglue and some patience fixed the problem.

So when you get the screws out lift straight up all the way to clear the main frame of the headphones and be careful the wires inside are very small and delicate.

I broke my in for 8 straight days 24/7 and took out the dust pad and although I don't have the vocabulary to describe what actually took place...Bottom line before BI & Dust Mod the Docs sounded terrible So much so that I figured that I would end up chalking it up to another bad purchase and move on to something else.

Now I enjoy them every-other day (That's when I'm at work
smily_headphones1.gif
) and I also had a member build me a 4' cable that works perfect with my Zune 80,,,I put the zune in my pocket and wrap one coil of cable around my shirt (Neck) and it works and looks fine and the controls on the Zune are sensitive enough through my shirt w/o having to remove it from my pocket.

The open design lets me listen to my music or radio while at the same time being able to pay attention to whats going on around me.

Perfect headphones for my application.

Oh yeah sorry about going on but I think I answered your question.

LQQK

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #608 of 761
Hello. I bougth the DR150's and I like them, good bang for the buck, for the most part... The only issue I have is that after about 30 minutes they become extremely painful to wear, almost as if the headband padding wasn't thick enough and/or the plastic was touching my head. I'm more used to headphones with the kind of construction you can see in this picture, for example. Anyways, will this sore-head-after-wearing-headphones-for-30-minutes ever go away, or am I just going to have to get to used to repositioning them every now and then?

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #609 of 761
They do loosen up with time, and feel more comfy. Give them a month, but you'll notice a difference before then.

I think the rediscovery of these headphones has garnered more attention than the introduction, and lasted longer too. As Head-Fi Doc owner #1 I'm glad to see people catching on to a great bargain.
cool.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #610 of 761
I find these phones much more comfy than the 271's myself, and I bought used, so I would assume they get comfier.

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #611 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do loosen up with time, and feel more comfy. Give them a month, but you'll notice a difference before then.

I think the rediscovery of these headphones has garnered more attention than the introduction, and lasted longer too. As Head-Fi Doc owner #1 I'm glad to see people catching on to a great bargain.
cool.gif

x2 as Doc owner #2 or 3 (can't recall anymore) I'm pretty pleased that our initial pioneering efforts yielded such results eh swt? I've been away from Head-fi for the better part of a year, just been working and enjoying my cans. Glad to say that the Docs are still in heavy circulation.

Time and burn-in really does wonders for the Docs. First of all, comfort-wise, the vise-like grip really loosens up after some time. Sound-quality wise, I found that the initial harshness of the Docs went away and paved the way for a much smoother but still forward sound.

Jan 12, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #612 of 761
Hey good to see you wowie! You were #2, but only behind me by a day. It was fun seeing the initial fever, and though I don't own mine anymore, I haven't changed my opinion at all.

Jan 12, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #613 of 761
A few more months till mine is 2 years old.

Purchased the EA RP-21 a few weeks ago, and didn't feel that it actually performs anywhere near the DR150's level.

Still loving the DR150, and once I get hold of the proper screwdrivers, the Grille Cloth Removal Mod it shall be =)

Jan 12, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #614 of 761
I just got my beresford DAC up and working for the first time yesterday. the Docs go pretty well with it. I was loving the sound so much that i listened for 5 hours straight.

Feb 1, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #615 of 761
So anyone else got Docs over x-mas ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back