Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #586 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try to find a cable with the desired length that you require with the largest possible gauge for the best signal. Most prefabbed cables only come with 22AWG or less which is way too small. Studies have shown that 16AWG is the minimum and anything larger does not provided any significant performance.

If you are handy, I would suggest you make your own cable, would cost you less than $8 to make a custom audiophile grade cable for your MP3 player.

Get 2 quality 1/8" stereo plugs and 2 x 4' of 16AWG speaker wire and twist them together and use heatshrink to bind the twisted pair of wires together for a professional cable that custom cable house will charge you over $100 for !

Whoa! I'm hoping maybe you got your gauges mixed up. 16 AWG for headphone cables? If that is what you are suggesting, I'm sorry but I can't disagree with you more. That is waaaaaaaay too thick! When it comes to headphone wire I recommend 24 at the very minimum or smaller. I have been using Mogami 2893 miniature quad in all my recables lately. I have also used SPC 26 AWG with excellent results as well. I am speaking from 2 years of DIY experience and probably close to 25 headphone recable jobs between my stuff and others. And if you don't want to listen to me, take a look at the well known recablers such as Moon Audio and Headphile.

As for length, I usually recommend 5' at the minimum. I used to do 4' for my own stuff but I found it to be too short. Though if you are always right in front of an amp then 4 will be fine but believe me - that extra foot makes a difference.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #587 of 761
By the way, one trick I've done with excellent results when using quad cable for an IC: Use 2 wires per channel and the shield wire for ground. Works and sounds great! If you use the Mogami wire I mentioned in my previous post and Neutrik 1/8", you have to bore out the brass shell so it fits over the rubber outer shell of the cable. You could use Switchcraft but then you've got a lot of extra room between the casing and the cable which can be filled in with heatshrink. I prefer the lower profile of the small Neutriks myself.
cool.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #588 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa! I'm hoping maybe you got your gauges mixed up. 16 AWG for headphone cables? If that is what you are suggesting, I'm sorry but I can't disagree with you more. That is waaaaaaaay too thick! When it comes to headphone wire I recommend 24 at the very minimum or smaller. I have been using Mogami 2893 miniature quad in all my recables lately. I have also used SPC 26 AWG with excellent results as well. I am speaking from 2 years of DIY experience and probably close to 25 headphone recable jobs between my stuff and others. And if you don't want to listen to me, take a look at the well known recablers such as Moon Audio and Headphile.

As for length, I usually recommend 5' at the minimum. I used to do 4' for my own stuff but I found it to be too short. Though if you are always right in front of an amp then 4 will be fine but believe me - that extra foot makes a difference.

You can use smaller gauge, but 16 is normally the smallest recommended for speakers, but I wouldn't go under anything smaller than 24AWG for headphones, 20-22AWG would be my choice. The important thing here is soldering skill and wetting, so far I haven't found any so called highend cable company that can solder properly. I am a former QA Manager for several custom cabling shops with a Class A IPC-A-610D instructor's certification, our cables are currently being used on the International Space Station, nuclear power stations, communication gear such as headsets, mics and tactical radioes for DoD/DND warships and aircrafts ...and what do I think about the so called highend audiophile cable market ? ...not much because most are more concerned about how pretty it looks and the crazy prices they charge than workmanship thats been proven and accepted industry standards, most people with the cash to buy these must think it is good, it better since they just dished out $2000 for a 6ft cable ...its all snake oil, once the grade of wire, gauge and the workmanship of termination such as crimping, soldering is achieved its all the same !

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #589 of 761
Quote:

You can use smaller gauge, but 16 is normally the smallest recommended for speakers, but I wouldn't go under anything smaller than 24AWG for headphones, 20-22AWG would be my choice. The important thing here is soldering skill and wetting, so far I haven't found any so called highend cable company that can solder properly. I am a former QA Manager for several custom cabling shops with a Class A IPC-A-610D instructor's certification, our cables are currently being used on the International Space Station, nuclear power stations, communication gear such as headsets, mics and tactical radioes for DoD/DND warships and aircrafts ...and what do I think about the so called highend audiophile cable market ? ...not much because most are more concerned about how pretty it looks and the crazy prices they charge than workmanship thats been proven and accepted industry standards, most people with the cash to buy these must think it is good, it better since they just dished out $2000 for a 6ft cable ...its all snake oil, once the grade of wire, gauge and the workmanship of termination such as crimping, soldering is achieved its all the same !

I certainly don't question your credentials and I totally agree with you about the ridiculous prices vs perceived SQ gain in regards to some of the "high end" cable manufacturers, but there is a matter of functionality and practicality when it comes to headphone cables. I just can't imagine using 16 AWG for headphones (which is what you suggested). I am no electronics expert but isn't one of the reasons for the use of heavy gauge wiring for speakers is partly due to typical long cable runs? Plus, isn't the output current for headphones much less than speakers?

Granted, I've never experimented with trying 16 AWG with headphones but I have a hard time believing I would hear enough - if any - of gain in SQ over the Mogami cables I use to warrant dealing with such a heavy gauge.

I'm not sure why you brought up the soldering issue. It's not that I necessarily disagree with. In fact, I've come across some rather questionable soldering techniques with a "high end" audio cable builder myself. I would rather focus this discussion on the inherent sound qualities of wire gauges.

As for 24 AWG - I still think this is a bit heavy but certainly much more manageable than 16.

I guess we are waaaay off topic here. Probably should start a new thread. My apologies to all.
redface.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #590 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess we are waaaay off topic here. Probably should start a new thread. My apologies to all.
redface.gif

I'm asking questions specifically about Goldring DR150.

This is 'OT' "IMO",,, because I'm try to learn as much as I can about headphones and the fact that I ordered a pair of DR150's and need a short, FLEXIBLE and most importantly at the very least a slide over or upgrade in QUALITY from the stock cable on the DR's.

Even though I'm new to this HP thing,,I know that I'll probably get the disease that is only curable with upgrades...
smily_headphones1.gif
Wife will love the new jewelery when I get completely sucked in to this world...Now that is off topic...
wink.gif

LQQK

Nov 30, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #591 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by LQQK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm asking questions specifically about Goldring DR150.

This is 'OT' "IMO",,, because I'm try to learn as much as I can about headphones and the fact that I ordered a pair of DR150's and need a short, FLEXIBLE and most importantly at the very least a slide over or upgrade in QUALITY from the stock cable on the DR's.

Even though I'm new to this HP thing,,I know that I'll probably get the disease that is only curable with upgrades...
smily_headphones1.gif
Wife will love the new jewelery when I get completely sucked in to this world...Now that is off topic...
wink.gif

LQQK

Heres another solution for you, go visit your local dollarama or Radio Shack store and try to find a 3 or 4 conductor stranded round telephone or ethernet cables, proberly the best cable since most are properly twisted and shielded with foil for optimal signal transfers.

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #592 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my $75 pair of DR150's. These are practicaly brand new. I bought them from cyro-parts.com, and they were the only "demo" pair, which was demoed by the owner, Lee himself.

All I can say is wow!
eek.gif
These are a step ahead of the SR60/80's for sure. However I cannot comment on how these compare to higher-end Grado's or Senn's, as I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet. I've read these are easily comparible to Senn 600's and some higher-end Grado's.

To say the least, if these were $200 brand new, I'd still buy them. They're worth it very easy..-Nick

Nick, gives us some more feedback on your Docs now that you spent several more days with them !

Team Doc thread bump ...LoL

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #593 of 761
Quote:

Nick, gives us some more feedback on your Docs now that you spent several more days with them !

Team Doc thread bump ...LoL

A few more days and they should be "well rounded". I bought them with about 100 hours from Lee @ cyro-parts, and he said they should open up a little more with another 150 hours (250 total hours). So I've been pink/white-noising when I'm not using them. Hopefully Wednesday they should be "done", and I can take a closer examination.

To say the least, these are a step above the Grado's I had, and the RP21's. The RP21's don't fit "my" head very well, and thus they are for sale. They are also pretty decent HP's from what little listening I have done with them, but the DR150's better them in every aspect except maybe bass, which is very close.

The bass is more "contained" in the DR150's, while in the RP21's they tend to leak some of the bass into the mid-range. Also, the bass on the DR150's isn't as "strong" or "authoritive" as the RP21's, but the bass sure is present.
smily_headphones1.gif

I won't comment any further...yet.. I'll post more impressions next week, for sure.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #594 of 761
Quote:

A few more days and they should be "well rounded". I bought them with about 100 hours from Lee @ cyro-parts, and he said they should open up a little more with another 150 hours (250 total hours). So I've been pink/white-noising when I'm not using them. Hopefully Wednesday they should be "done", and I can take a closer examination.

To say the least, these are a step above the Grado's I had, and the RP21's. The RP21's don't fit "my" head very well, and thus they are for sale. They are also pretty decent HP's from what little listening I have done with them, but the DR150's better them in every aspect except maybe bass, which is very close.

The bass is more "contained" in the DR150's, while in the RP21's they tend to leak some of the bass into the mid-range. Also, the bass on the DR150's isn't as "strong" or "authoritive" as the RP21's, but the bass sure is present.
smily_headphones1.gif

I won't comment any further...yet.. I'll post more impressions next week, for sure.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

We'll be waiting for your full feedback, in the mean time I will be looking to snatch up more Doc's at a good price !
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #595 of 761
Quote:

We'll be waiting for your full feedback, in the mean time I will be looking to snatch up more Doc's at a good price !
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey, I'm getting a few more "new" tubes for my amp, and will be comparing with "exotic" or "cream of the crop" 6SN7's.

I will post back for sure, and share my impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

In the meantime, is there anywhere I can get "pleather" or leather pads for this headphone? I've read using the DR100 pads, but where can I get some? Or is there any other brand that fits these?

Thanks,

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #596 of 761
Quote:

Hey, I'm getting a few more "new" tubes for my amp, and will be comparing with "exotic" or "cream of the crop" 6SN7's.

I will post back for sure, and share my impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

In the meantime, is there anywhere I can get "pleather" or leather pads for this headphone? I've read using the DR100 pads, but where can I get some? Or is there any other brand that fits these?

Thanks,

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

I emailed Goldring and they told me the price was 3.50 pounds(@$7.50us) for the pads on the DR50 and DR100 and 5 pounds for the DR150. They are all interchangeable.

They never got back to me on the part number. Just try to email them on their site.

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #597 of 761
Quote:

I emailed Goldring and they told me the price was 3.50 pounds(@$7.50us) for the pads on the DR50 and DR100 and 5 pounds for the DR150. They are all interchangeable.

They never got back to me on the part number. Just try to email them on their site.

Thank you. I hope there's a distributor that has the replacement pads inside the US/Canada. If they don't oh well, I will just have to wait for them to clear customs..

By the way, does ANYONE have any dampening material left over by any chance? Post here of PM me please! I'm dieing to get two very small pieces.

Thanks,

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #598 of 761
Dec 13, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #599 of 761
I'm out of town on a jobsite, and until today I haven't had regular internet access. It's really nice to see the Docs having a bit of a resurgence. They deserve more respect than they've gotten IMO, and are still a great bang for the buck.

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #600 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm out of town on a jobsite, and until today I haven't had regular internet access. It's really nice to see the Docs having a bit of a resurgence. They deserve more respect than they've gotten IMO, and are still a great bang for the buck.

Ah'men...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back