Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #571 of 761
EdT, how much of an improvement did you notice when you switched from the 325i to the DR-150?

Does it still retain the same aggressive 'attack' of the Grados? I really enjoy listening to rock with my MS-1s, and I'm looking for something that will retain the excellent reproduction of e.guitars, bass and drums (along with vocals of course).

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #572 of 761
I just got my $75 pair of DR150's. These are practicaly brand new. I bought them from cyro-parts.com, and they were the only "demo" pair, which was demoed by the owner, Lee himself.

All I can say is wow!
eek.gif
These are a step ahead of the SR60/80's for sure. However I cannot comment on how these compare to higher-end Grado's or Senn's, as I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet. I've read these are easily comparible to Senn 600's and some higher-end Grado's.

To say the least, if these were $200 brand new, I'd still buy them. They're worth it very easy..

-Nick

Nov 29, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #573 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by phyrefly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EdT, how much of an improvement did you notice when you switched from the 325i to the DR-150?

Does it still retain the same aggressive 'attack' of the Grados? I really enjoy listening to rock with my MS-1s, and I'm looking for something that will retain the excellent reproduction of e.guitars, bass and drums (along with vocals of course).

The Docs don't sound much different, just a little less bright on the highs and more bass. With the grille cloth mod, it has become even more transparent and a more open soundstage.

They opened up in 2 hours of play to Grado like in your face sound.

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #574 of 761
One look at my post count reveals that I'm a newbie, at least to headphone knowledge.

I'm gonna need a 3.5 mm -3.5 mm cable for the DR150 that I ordered for a Zune, stock cable is too long.

I guess the desired length would be around 4' (correct me if I'm wrong).

For a cable this short I would prefer something that is very flexible yet not lacking the necessary amount of quality to match the Dr150's, Please explain the minimum specification's/materials I should be looking for and maybe a link to some one who sells them.

I'm hopping that I won't have to purchase a cable the diameter of a water hose for my zune.

LQQK

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #575 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the grille cloth mod, it has become even more transparent and a more open soundstage.

Did you remove your grill cloth or replace with a better one?

I need a 101 on the meaning of transparent and a more open sound stage.

I look around and I see theses terms used a lot, I need some more understanding what you all mean by it as it applies to headphones...Thank-U.

LQQK

Nov 29, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #576 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by LQQK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you remove your grill cloth or replace with a better one?

LQQK

Just remove the grill cloth all together. It took me about 10 minutes to do both sides.

You move the earpads to the side, which reveal four (4) screws, unscrew all 4 screws, seperate top from bottom (pull top part off, carefully), and grab the black cloth that is covered by regular tape.

I should have taken pictures, but I wasn't sure I was doing it right, until I found the cloth. It's actually very easy to do.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Nick

Nov 29, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #577 of 761
Info and prices for DR headphone earpads, part numbers to follow.

From Goldring UK:

"The ear pads for DR50/ DR100/ DR150 are interchangeable.

UK prices are £3.50, £3.50 and £5.00 respectively. You would need to check in your local market as Export prices are normally higher to cover fright etc."

Tony Jones
Consumer Products Manager

The earpads for the DR50 and DR100 are better value and quality then the more expensive DR150 pads with the ugly pleather trim IMHO !

Nov 29, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #578 of 761
Quote:

I need a 101 on the meaning of transparent and a more open sound stage.

Transparency is the clarity of the sound, meaning not muddled or drowned out with sibilance due to material constraint of the driver construction.

Soundstage is the depth, width and height of the concert hall, simply put as the 3D revelation of the sound media. Usually only possible in highend audiophile gear costing in the 10s of thousands of dollars, but this is not neccessary true in the headphone community, as some people like bright and 2D in your face type of sonic qualities such as Grados and Goldring cans.

Quote:

I'm gonna need a 3.5 mm -3.5 mm cable for the DR150 that I ordered for a Zune, stock cable is too long.

I guess the desired length would be around 4' (correct me if I'm wrong).

For a cable this short I would prefer something that is very flexible yet not lacking the necessary amount of quality to match the Dr150's, Please explain the minimum specification's/materials I should be looking for and maybe a link to some one who sells them.

I'm hopping that I won't have to purchase a cable the diameter of a water hose for my zune.LQQK

Try to find a cable with the desired length that you require with the largest possible gauge for the best signal. Most prefabbed cables only come with 22AWG or less which is way too small. Studies have shown that 16AWG is the minimum and anything larger does not provided any significant performance.

If you are handy, I would suggest you make your own cable, would cost you less than $8 to make a custom audiophile grade cable for your MP3 player.

Get 2 quality 1/8" stereo plugs and 2 x 4' of 16AWG speaker wire and twist them together and use heatshrink to bind the twisted pair of wires together for a professional cable that custom cable house will charge you over $100 for !

Nov 29, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #579 of 761
Quote:

Studies have shown that 16AWG is the minimum and anything larger does not provided any significant performance.

Get 2 quality 1/8" stereo plugs and 2 x 4' of 16AWG speaker wire and twist them together and use heatshrink to bind the twisted pair of wires together for a professional cable that custom cable house will charge you over $100 for !

Do I need two 4' dual (+ & -) speaker wires twisted together creating 4 separate ends on each end, example two of these twisted together:
100-016m.jpg

100-016m.jpg

and then twist the ++ & -- to form a single positive and negative tag end for the Stereo plug?

Thanks for the explanation of sound stage, I thought it had something to do with being able to hear separate instruments being played at different locations on an imaginary stage.

LQQK

Nov 29, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #580 of 761
Quote:

The Docs don't sound much different, just a little less bright on the highs and more bass. With the grille cloth mod, it has become even more transparent and a more open soundstage.

They opened up in 2 hours of play to Grado like in your face sound.

Would the DR-150 be a significant step up from the MS-1? i.e. I'd like to be blown out of the water, just like my upgrade to MS-1
biggrin.gif

btw, has any one compared the Denon D2000 with the DR-150 (Different price range, but isn't DR-150 supposed to be a giant-killer
wink.gif
)?

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #581 of 761
What do you guys think of an amp for this can? A desktop amp that is. Is it worth it?

Nov 30, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #584 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by phyrefly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
warrior05, how does the DR-150 compare against your DT/990 and D1000?

DT990? No comparison. The Beyers offer a lot more across the board but then they are essentially twice the price.
wink.gif

As for the D1000? Hmmm... that one is more interesting and I'm going to have to do this from memory since I haven't listened to my Docs for a bit now (due to it currently doesn't have a plug on it - I needed it for another project
tongue.gif
). There is the inherent difference between open and close. I think the Denons reach a bit lower but the Docs reach a bit higher and, as one would expect, have a larger soundstage. I think the Denons have a tad richer mids. Please take this all with a grain of salt though.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #585 of 761
Quote:

Do I need two 4' dual (+ & -) speaker wires twisted together creating 4 separate ends on each end, example two of these twisted together:
100-016m.jpg

100-016m.jpg

and then twist the ++ & -- to form a single positive and negative tag end for the Stereo plug?

Thanks for the explanation of sound stage, I thought it had something to do with being able to hear separate instruments being played at different locations on an imaginary stage.

LQQK

I notice since this is only connecting to two similar plugs, you can just use 3 wires, so just pull them apart and twist the 3 together and use one as the ground and the other two for the L and R for a total of 3 terminals and then put the heatshrink over parts or the entire length. Heck, I will even make you one for the crazy prices they are charging ...LoL

TRS connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Make your own high end audiophile grade like this:
93_1_b.JPG

I think I am goin to start my own cable shop, most of this so called highend overpriced crap is just that crap !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back