Official Chord Hugo 2 UK Tour Thread
Jul 31, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #31 of 43
And just arrived at 8:50am. Looks nice in Black & smaller than I expected.

Will give it a good try-out this week then post it on next Monday most likely.

Just for clarity, arrived in perfect cosmetic condition except there seems to be a missing screw on the bottom.

20170731_091120.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #34 of 43
Ian (xeroian)

On its way RMSD. Delivery by 1pm tomorrow and needs signature.

Enjoy and please confirm in thread once received.

Enjoy.

My mini review

I'm really glad I got to demo the CH2 as its convinced me that for my usage requirement (just using SE846's), I don't need to be chasing the "White Rabbit" any longer when it comes to DAC's. Its certainly the best audio output I've ever heard through my SE846's but the improvement over the Chord Mojo doesn't justify me going from a £280 Mojo (bought as a "Like New" in Amazon Prime sale) to ~ £1800 (or £1650 if haggle for discount) for the CH2. I'm sure with demanding headphones or a high-end home sound system it will be more justifiable.

I must not have "Golden Ears" as I can't detect differences with the filter settings.

I was surprised how good audio can sound over standard aptx Bluetooth. Best I'd heard prior to this was the B&W P7 Wireless which itself was great.

With my Shure SE846's and with nothing playing I'm hearing background hiss. If I use the IEMatch it clears that noise up but was surprised the SE846's would pick anything up from the Hugo 2 as near silent with Mojo (with or without a source connected). Nothing serious but for those with sensitive low impedance earphones who want a total black background its fine with an iFi IEMatch. Didn't notice any interference from phones Wifi or cellular which you can get with the Mojo.

Other DAC's/DAP's used or owned are: Dragonfly Red, Mojo, HA-2SE, ZX2, X5III. Personally I'm perfectly happy with Spotify 320ogg files but do have a selection of Hi-def FLAC and DSD files plus currently a 3 month trial of Tidal HiFi/Master.

Now if best audio at any price is your main driver and you can't afford a Chord Dave or equivalent then the Hugo 2 is perfect.

One word to describe its audio quality.........beautiful.

Only thing that disappoints on build quality is the cheap looking plastic remote rather than the Aluminium one shown in early marketing shots. The Hugo 2 itself is quality as you'd expect at this price.

If money not a consideration, just buy it. Compared to Mojo, everything is slightly better without any negatives I could hear (other than slight hiss without using IEMatch)

My photo shows a Z5 compact using UAPP app set to bit perfect connected to CH2 USB with Penon pure silver cable. Output to my SE846's with iFi IEMatch adapter using a Fidue silver plated 7N OFC cable. Tack playing is a 24bit 192kHz track.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #35 of 43
Well Hugo2 has arrived and has been so well packaged by Chord that I thought someone had sent me a new football to celebrate the restart of the EFL.

Upon unpacking I see that no one has yet ventured to try the Remote. It and its batteries are still sealed. I probably won't use it either (or the supplied charger) but I was pleased to see that it looks somewhat better than photos have suggested. I intend to listen exclusively to Hugo2 for the next few days through LCD-XC, Audioquest Nightowls and possibly Oppo PM-3 headphones before returning to Hugo and Mojo for comparisons. Updates to follow.....

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #36 of 43
Well Hugo2 has arrived and has been so well packaged by Chord that I thought someone had sent me a new football to celebrate the restart of the EFL.

Upon unpacking I see that no one has yet ventured to try the Remote. It and its batteries are still sealed. I probably won't use it either (or the supplied charger) but I was pleased to see that it looks somewhat better than photos have suggested. I intend to listen exclusively to Hugo2 for the next few days through LCD-XC, Audioquest Nightowls and possibly Oppo PM-3 headphones before returning to Hugo and Mojo for comparisons. Updates to follow.....

I was also surprised by the large outer box and packaging, and the amount of sellotape. It felt so light until the actual smaller sealed Hugo2 box appeared!

EDIT : Wrong thread, sorry guys.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #37 of 43
My ten days are up and Hugo2 has been posted on to Deftone. I have half a review typed up on my PC which I can post later but here are some of my findings:

The Remote works well and is not as tacky as I had heard. Once the batteries are inserted it feels pretty solid and has all the necessary functions
Unlike Hugo1, Hugo2 remembers previous settings
Not sure the 2A charger really delivered 2A. According to my reading of the manual Hugo2's charging lamp should show one colour for 2A and a different colour for >1A. I saw the latter colour
Desktop mode is great, although I was surprised that whenever I touched Hugo2 it felt noticeably warm, although never HOT like Mojo
Timing is excellent - Hugo2 is a real foot tapper, musical and magical
Sound signature is comparable to that of my Mojo but the sound field is much wider, deeper, spacious etc.
Sound signature is quite different from my Hugo1 but sound field improvements are less obvious (than with Mojo v Hugo2)
My LCD-XCs sound far better than when paired with Hugo1, My Oppo PM-3 sound worse, Nightowls play nicely with Hugo1 and Hugo2, Bowers & Wilkins P7 have never sounded so good
Hugo2 allows me to better understand what each pair of headphones is doing
I still can't discern any difference between the filters even playing 96KHz material
I think that both Mojo users and Hugo1 users will love Hugo2 for different reasons

Finally a word of caution to Hugo1 users looking to upgrade. With all hifi synergy is required between the different components.
Someone who has spent a load of money building a system around Hugo1 with its slightly edgy top end may find with Hugo2 that their system loses some "excitement".
Hence my LCD-XC being "tamed" and my Oppo PM-3 sounding dull.

Aug 14, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #38 of 43
My ten days are up and Hugo2 has been posted on to Deftone. I have half a review typed up on my PC which I can post later but here are some of my findings:

The Remote works well and is not as tacky as I had heard. Once the batteries are inserted it feels pretty solid and has all the necessary functions
Unlike Hugo1, Hugo2 remembers previous settings
Not sure the 2A charger really delivered 2A. According to my reading of the manual Hugo2's charging lamp should show one colour for 2A and a different colour for >1A. I saw the latter colour
Desktop mode is great, although I was surprised that whenever I touched Hugo2 it felt noticeably warm, although never HOT like Mojo
Timing is excellent - Hugo2 is a real foot tapper, musical and magical
Sound signature is comparable to that of my Mojo but the sound field is much wider, deeper, spacious etc.
Sound signature is quite different from my Hugo1 but sound field improvements are less obvious (than with Mojo v Hugo2)
My LCD-XCs sound far better than when paired with Hugo1, My Oppo PM-3 sound worse, Nightowls play nicely with Hugo1 and Hugo2, Bowers & Wilkins P7 have never sounded so good
Hugo2 allows me to better understand what each pair of headphones is doing
I still can't discern any difference between the filters even playing 96KHz material
I think that both Mojo users and Hugo1 users will love Hugo2 for different reasons

Finally a word of caution to Hugo1 users looking to upgrade. With all hifi synergy is required between the different components.
Someone who has spent a load of money building a system around Hugo1 with its slightly edgy top end may find with Hugo2 that their system loses some "excitement".
Hence my LCD-XC being "tamed" and my Oppo PM-3 sounding dull.

I could not understand from manual, what colour was for >1 amp, and what colour equaled 2amp. I was 50/50 after reading! Maybe Chord could confirm as it's not clear.

I don't consider Hugo 1 edgy, but can understand the Oppo PM3 being better suited, as to my ears PM3 is recessed and soft sounding with everything! Nicely detailed but lacking excitement. Or a cymbal sounding like a real cymbal does when you hear one live :)

Aug 20, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #39 of 43
It is now a week since I last heard Hugo2 and I am still missing him. Neither Hugo1 nor Mojo sound so good anymore. I'm inclined to jump in and buy one but worried it might not perform as well as I remember. After all, absence is supposed to make the heart grow fonder.

Ian

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #40 of 43
It is now a week since I last heard Hugo2 and I am still missing him. Neither Hugo1 nor Mojo sound so good anymore. I'm inclined to jump in and buy one but worried it might not perform as well as I remember. After all, absence is supposed to make the heart grow fonder.

Ian

Well, I upgraded and haven't regretted it. The extra detail, clarity , instrument separation & layering and impact (eg cymbals being crashed or the car engine revving on Queen's - I'm in love with my car ) ........ is something I can't do without now and would miss if I had to back to Hugo1.

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #42 of 43
Without any message or notice I have received the Hugo2 test unit today. (My last info was from early July, that the tour has started.) What a pleasant surprise! Plugged in right after I got home. The sound is impressive. Why my Mojo can't sound like this? :) I already see I will miss this DAC a lot, but unfortunately it is out of my budget atm. Originally I was planning to do a comparison test, but I just don't really want to waste time for listening to Mojo, when Hugo2 is around. :)
Mojo does deliver for its price, and probably I will be able to enjoy it after Hugo2 is gone, but Hugo2 is a different world. So accurate, precise, refined, yet warmish and absolutely pleasing to the ears. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back