Official Chicago August 8 2015 Impression Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #16 of 133
There were many shenanigans post meet, and even post dinner. Everyone who went is asleep or hungover at my apartment, but I will regale you when I am less annoyed by Hansotek's snoring. First impressions, not enough bass.

Kojaku

Dynamat will fix that right up.

Aug 9, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #17 of 133
Subbed, looking forward to more impressions.

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #18 of 133
Additional pics from the post-meet after party part II at the Virgin Hotel:

Arnold from Tweak Studios, #TheRealKingOfChicago

@Kojaku checking in with Papa Jude about breaking curfew. :wink:

Skip the line, go right to the rooftop. #VIPstatus #ReservationForAbeFroman

Nice views!

I mean, really nice!

This place was incredible... and mysteriously smelled like fried chicken... (really!)

@DVass13, Arnold from Tweak Studios, me, @AxelCloris and @Kojaku

Still working on getting audio impressions together from the actual meet, but thank you so much to everyone for such a fun and memorable event!

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #19 of 133
Looks like a great time.  Sorry I had to leave after dinner.

Thanks again to Arnold, Steve, and everyone else that helped bring this meet together.

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #20 of 133
Home from Chicago, huzzah!

The drive to the meet on Saturday started out well when DVass13 and I began our journey to the Windy City. Unfortunately we hit a 1-hour detour on I-65 that left us feeling dejected. Thankfully we left Cincinnati at a decent time and managed to make it to Kojaku's place just after 11. Our next stop was Craft Pizza in Wicker Park; I recommend the Wicker Pork pizza if you're in the area. It was there that we joined Hansotek for a tasty lunch. After filling our bellies it was time to make our way to the main destination, ChiUniFi 8.5.

Once I set up my station it was time to sit and talk to the attendees while answering questions about the gear at my table. Since I ended up having to feed most each different setup from a single source, my MBP, I spent most of the time at the meet making sure that everything was working for those who wanted to listen. The most popular items appeared to be the Cavalli Liquid Carbon and the Questyle QP1R portable, but the LH Labs Pulse X Infinity and the Questyle CMA800i received some love as well. Not as many were asking about my ALO Continental Dual Mono, but I suppose that most in attendance were more interested in the various desktop components. A shame really, because that little tube hybrid puts a smile on my face every time.

As traffic slowed towards the end of the meet I took a few minutes to demo some of the gear that was present. I was most looking forward to hearing the Audio-GD Master 11, but unfortunately it did not make it to Chicago in time for zach915m to bring it. I was hoping to get a chance to try the M11 with his new Omni. As for the rest of my experience, here is a small handful of impressions.

Audio Zenith PMx2 - The PMx2 mods do bring improvement to the PM-2's treble, adding a touch more life to the stock sound.

ENIGMAcoustics Dharma - Much improved from what I heard at CanJam SoCal. The crossover adjustment seems to have fixed the transition from electrostatic to dynamic driver. I was informed that this was the final voicing for the product before launch, but since the cups have not been adjusted to allow for a proper seal I'll wait until I hear a production model to believe that. Overall it's a nice headphone with one little splinter, there is a very narrow band in the treble that sounded artificial and ended up distracting me from the music. Do note that this pair was completely fresh and had no burn-in, so that may self-resolve after some time cooking. A proper seal could also alter the odd sparkle in a way that sounds more natural.

Kennerton Magister - I'm going to follow Thumper's sage advice on this headphone.

Koss PortaPro - I own these headphones, but I saw them in a new light at the meet. If you want to hear these sing, feed them from the Yggnarock stack. No, it won't magically  transform them into HD800s, but nevertheless it's an excellent match.

Pioneer SE Master 1 - I listened to this headphone from both the CMA800i and the Pulse Infinity>Liquid Carbon combo and found that it did nothing for me. Multiple people mentioned that they liked the headphone from the Yggnarock stack, and I didn't listen to it from that pair, but from my own gear it was nothing special. It seems this headphone is very chain-dependent, and my chains were not a good match.

Virgin Hotels Chicago rooftop bar - Smelled like fried chicken, stunning view. I advise wearing nicer clothing than shorts and a button down casual shirt. It's also advised to bring an Arnold Martinez, should you have one at hand.

Thank you to everyone who stopped by my station and took time to listen to the gear. I hope everyone enjoyed what they heard and are willing to share their feedback here in the thread. :D

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #21 of 133
Thanks for hosting the meetup! This was basically my second meet ever and the last one I went to was 2+ years ago. Quite an eye opener for sure.

Some impressions:

Heard the Ultrasone Pro 900, Oppo PM-3, AKG KXX, Philips Fidelio X1, and the DT880 pros off the Modi2/Magni2 stack.

The Ultrasones sounded like they were filtered through some long and complicated chain of stuff and eventually ended up as some muffled garbled mess. *shudder* ugh

The DT880 was ok other than a piercing treble that overpowered everything else. I nearly thought someone turned the treble EQ up to max. 

The X1 has a noticeable bump in the lower midrange compared to the rest of the midrange. I guess this is what people describe as warm sound. Basically what it sounds like what the curve looks like.

The KXX was alright. It didn't do a lot of my more pop-ish stuff justice nor the metal tracks I have. Not really sure how to describe it, but the frequency response distribution was just not quite right, but not bad by any means.

The PM-3's were very balanced and had an amazing tonality to it except for the lack of audible extension on the low end. Maybe a better amp will make it sing more. Very impressed with it though.

the Dharmas paired with the Questyle was an absolutely amazing match. I felt like I was sitting on the front few rows of a concert hall. Very balanced and all the instruments seemed to separate themselves from each other as opposed to other amps I've heard off of. I don't know how it'll improve but looking forward to it.

Ran out of time with the other headphones and amps but would love to come back to try some more.

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #22 of 133
Bro's!!!  Here's some pics I took.  Scroll to the bottom for a dropbox link of the complete photo's!

For the complete photo's:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qovcml156dtrsru/AABynD0za-BJU1VSsFTqHIMca?dl=0

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 10, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #23 of 133
Here are a few of my impressions from the meet. Sorry for the wall of text… lots to talk about!

Enigma Acoustics Dharma
This is tough. I really like the Dharma, but the awkward treble thing that @AxelCloris mentioned in his write-up is very real, and damages the ability of the Dharma to be truly transparent. For example, I love the way it is able to dig way down on the transient edges to make cymbals sound incredibly realistic. But sometimes it’s like there is a crossover glitch that can make the cymbals sound a little weird – like it’s switching from the dynamic to the electrostatic tweeter. It’s a little distracting sometimes, and doesn’t quite let you forget you’re wearing a headphone.

On to the more positive aspects of the Dharma. First off, the soundstage is quite large. It seems near HD800 size. 100% L/R panned imaged seemed to come from way, way outside the headphone’s physical space. The FR is also very non-offensive. I listened to them through my HA-160, which can be quite unforgiving, and they were nice and smooth… but they never seemed dark at all. I’m guessing the bass has tightened up significantly from the pre-production version, because it seemed pretty darn tight to me… I threw a lot of fast stuff at it, and it handled it all very, very gracefully. I have to say, the more I listened to it, the more I liked it. It just has one weird quirk.

Ragnarok & HE-6
This is a combo I’m seriously considering at the moment. I really fell head-over-heels for the HE-6 at the last meet. The Ragnarok is no match for the DNA Stratus, but it does make the HE-6 come alive once you hit the 2 or 3 o’clock position on the dial (in balanced mode). The treble is definitely hotter out of the Ragnarok, but it’s not bad at all. It does bring that critical dynamic punch to life, and that’s really the part that matters most, IMO. The only thing that stinks is that the point where it REALLY comes alive on the Rag is pretty well above my average listening level. I felt like I got there with a lower volume level on the Stratus.

Theta Gen V
I LOVED this DAC! Dynamic yet smooth. Exciting, yet inoffensive. The music just feels right out of it. It resolves so effortlessly, presenting lovely detail without reveling in it.

Cavalli Liquid Carbon
I didn’t get to spend nearly enough time with this thing, but it was quite smooth from what I heard. I got a chance to run one of my sibilance test tracks with it on the HD800 and it was far more forgiving than any of the other amps I’ve heard it through. I should’ve tried some planars with it too, it has really good bass.

Geek Out V2 Plus 
I liked this thing quite a bit. I don’t know if I like the way it forces the user interface on you, but for the price, it’s an INSANE value for that level of sound. Really, for a $300 all-in-one solution, there aren’t many options that can compare. It’s lively, but very inoffensive. There’s a decent chance that I’ll pick this one up. I’d be really interested to hear it as a DAC-only component hooked into the Wyrd.

ZMF Omni
Zach really nailed it on this one! Great balance and clarity throughout the entire spectrum. A really great rock headphone. I played a range of classic and alt rock tracks and it just sings beautifully with everything! Well done, sir.

This was so much fun! I tried lots of other interesting stuff too, but there isn’t time to really mention it all tonight. You guys are awesome, and I can’t wait for the next one!

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #24 of 133
Just realized I DID get a picture of it!

One of the many highlights of the meet for me was listening to the MicroZOTL 2.0 amp.  When I heard it it was running through the Chord Hugo and it sounded absolutely fantastic.  It's a tube amp with BALLS as it digs deep and has a robust low end, fluid midrange and extended, resolving and "tube" like highs.  It's pretty darn cool.  I was worried upon looking at it and the specs that it may not have the power for the ZMF's, but it had tons to spare.  I only got to 11 O'Clock or so for my med/high listening level.  Pretty sweet stuff.  Thanks for bringing it @saidentary!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 10, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #25 of 133
Good times everyone! I had a blast. It was great seeing all the familiar faces meeting a number of you for the first time. Special shout out to the Detroit crew who drive all the way to be there. 

My phone ate most of my notes during this mornings update ;_; But, I did put up my impressions of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon over here. I'll almost certainly post more here in this thread later.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #27 of 133
My favorite moment of the meet was lining up to hear the Porta Pro through an expensive rig.

That really happened.

Then discussing how all we really need is a Porta Pro and a rockboxed Clip Zip.

End. Game. Stuff.
wink.gif

Haha, amen to that. Sounded really stupid good out of the Rag/Yggy.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #28 of 133
Master 11 just got here.  So sad for you guys. 
blink.gif

Serious though, if anyone wants to stop by, all I do is sit here and hope someone will come listen to my toys. 
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #29 of 133
Impressions:

Didn't get to hear everything I had planned too (there was SO much stuff there)

Wanted to listen to Dharma, Liquid Carbon, PM-3, Audio Zenith PMX-2, and I'm sure a few others. : /
I did a lot more talking this meet though! And gave some gear I've been looking at a longer audition.

People:

Zach. Fabulous as always. Enjoy chatting about both headphone, and non-headphones stuff. Finally gonna be getting an Omni, which is very exciting. The production tuning sounds great, even smoother, and more integrated than the prototypes. Cowhide and Lambskin pads much improved. Overall A+

Saidentary. Had a really nice conversation here about two channel, headphones, etc. Very nice, and thoughtful guy!

HiSoundFi (I think?) brought a ton of IEMs. Had a nice chat about the Omnis, and got to try some cool IEMs.

Kojaku: As entertaining as always! Also I'm really coming to appreciate that Oppo unit more and more each time I hear it.

chatted with Arnold from tweak a bit. Didn't get to catch AudioAddict unfortunately. We really need nametags, because I remember faces and head-fi names but I can't remember who they go with!

​Gear​:

Viiolectric V200. Nice amp, maybe a little thumpy for me though... I really liked, but after trying out some of the other gear at the meet, it might be a little warm for my tastes.

Theta Gen V. Wow. Best DAC in the room with the exception of the Yggy (IMO)

Lyr 1: It sounds more like tubes than I had been led to believe! I thought this was a really nice pairing with my Beyer 880's. Warm, clear, powerful, and a little bit of magic "sparkle" to the sound. One complaint though: I don't mind hot amps (Rag, Asgard, etc. don't bother me) but this baby gets HOT. I mean, we all know better than to touch the tubes, but the volume knob was a little too hot for me touch for more than a second at a time. I have thin skin and eternally cold hands though, so YMMV.

Asgard 2. The surprise of the meet for me! I've been very happy with my Magni 2 U, and was doubting this old tried-and-true might have fallen behind. Certainly less power at lower loads than the M2U, but I thought the sound was wonderfully warm, clear, and open. Possibly my favorite (non-rag) schiit amp so far! 

Rag/Yggy It was phenomenal, as expected. With the HE-1000s it was tremendous: there were microphone chassis colorations and reflections that I could hear with the Yggy as source. It was like being shrunk down and put inside a microphone. Mike Moffat has knocked it out the park. The Rag was a little unusual with the all the clicking, and buttons, but I loved the sound. Tried both rigs, with lots of cans, and thought it sounded phenomenal. I know some folks have told me they found it hard, or bright, but I'm definitely sold on this amp. The bass presence and complete lack of strain in the sound were addicting. The Omni sounded really special with this setup as well.

Pioneer Master 1 SE (name?) So this one is a mouthful to say! For the price, I wouldn't buy this headphone, but its got excellent detail retrieval, a very slight U-shaped sound, good soundstage and a nice open presentation. I detected a very narrow-band treble spike somewhere in the sibilant regions the upper kilohertz, but besides that the frequency seemed even.

Beyer DT880 (600 ohm) Some people swear on the improvements between the 250 and this one, but I still can't tell a difference between this and mine. Tried it on a bunch of different amps too. Maybe I have ears of stone?

I think that's it! Didn't listen to as many things, but gave some stuff I'm interested in a longer audition. Also agonized nearly the whole meet over the Walnut vs. Cherry Omnis. Thanks for putting up with me Zach XP

Thanks for a great meet everyone! (special thanks to Arnold again of course!)

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #30 of 133
  Master 11 just got here.  So sad for you guys. 
blink.gif

Serious though, if anyone wants to stop by, all I do is sit here and hope someone will come listen to my toys. 
confused_face_2.gif

You gotta be kidding! Today? 

I might actually take you up on that invitation at some point @zach915m - especially if I pick up the HE-6. I'm also curious how it will compare to your Theta!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back