Official: All Nine Miners Alive!!!
Jul 28, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 12
This puts a huge grin on my face. A grin kinda like this one,
biggrin.gif
except my eyes are open.

Thanks bootman, for passing this good news on.

Jul 28, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 12
I don't know any of the miners. I don't know anyone who knows the miners. But for some reason, I literally lost sleep over this story. Yeah, there are a lot of sad news stories on any given day, but this one really got to me from the first time I read about it.

I, and thousands (maybe millions) of others, prayed for these cats, hoping like crazy they'd all come out alive, and my wife and I were clapping when they announced that they're all alive.

Yeah, KR, it sure was nice to see a good news story, eh?

Jul 28, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 12
I've been following this story since it began and let out a yell when i heard the news live way out here in the middle of the pacific...as joyful as this news is to us just imagine the joy the minors are feeling right now...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #8 of 12
Just to give an idea of what the situation looked like:

(Note: pic and info taken from CNN.)

attachment.php

Nine men were trapped when the mine flooded. The rescue plan has included:

• Establishing an airway through a 6-inch hole
• Setting up air pumps at the portals where the miners enter
• Drilling at least two smaller holes to relieve the pressure and allow water out
• Drilling a larger hole, approximately 3 feet in diameter, into the area where the miners are trapped
• Using seismic equipment to locate the miners
• Dropping a basket, via a crane, into the mine through the larger hole, to extricate the men
• Using transportable decompression chambers to prevent rescued miners getting the bends

Jul 28, 2002 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 12
Pretty fantastic.

Fabulous work by the people up top, and incredible stamina and faith by the guys below. They really had to believe they'd be rescued to find the strength to sustain through the ordeal.

Seems like a bunch of prayers were answered.

Jul 28, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #10 of 12
It is an amazing story with a good ending. I remember too many of the trapped miner stories that did not end this way. I too followed this story trying to imagine what it must be like to be trapped underground.

Jul 29, 2002 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 12
When I first heard about this story, living in Pittsburgh and all, I of course was concerned and hoped for their safe rescue. However, when it became a national story then a world story, I was really surprised. As the three days wore on I was totally shocked of the public attention and prayers going out to these 9 miners.

It was a fantastic day that they were all saved! I find it totally amazing that a positive event like this one can touch the lives of so many people around the world. I think everybody's day after the sucessful rescue was a little brighter, a little sunnier, a little happier. I know mine was. Miracles do happen, even at 240 feet under the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back