Official 2016 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 16, 2016, Wikia HQ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #196 of 458
  I'm a bit too intimated to go. I only started this hobby for about a year or two and this would be my first meet-up. I don't even know what to even expect.

I only started a few months before you and I went to my first meet about a year later (Canjam Socal 2015).  I had such an amazing time that I've been to many meets since then.  I've also started organizing local meets at The Source A/V down here in LA.  It has the potential to be a wonderful experience if you open yourself up to meeting people and trying new gear.  I highly recommend it!

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #197 of 458
I went to CanJam 2016 and had fun. But it would have been a little lonely if I only talked to the salesmen, they were nice though, not pushy at all, they know everyone there is trying to listen to a lot of stuff. But I did manage to spend a little time talking to other attendees which was cool. I kinda want to split this SF thing into two, half devoted to listening to planar cans and half to sitting behind my little rig and just meeting people, chill, just for fun.

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #198 of 458
  I'm a bit too intimated to go. I only started this hobby for about a year or two and this would be my first meet-up. I don't even know what to even expect.

I'd say you're overdue.  Go early when the crowds are light and there aren't lines of people trying to try something, leave the manufacturers until later, and start talking to the exhibitors about their gear and what they think are its strengths/weaknesses. Maybe bring some of your favorite tunes on thumb drive or DAP to see what something you're familiar with sounds like through something new.

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #199 of 458

I would totally recommend going, the San Fran shows are always really intimate and fun and you never know who you will meet. I happened to meet Warren Chi at my first meet ever( which happened to be his first meet) and we have been friends ever since.

Plus you get to listen to some awesome gear that you normally wouldn't be able to .

As for what to expect, I would say expect to meet people that share a very niche hobby with you. I recently got my friend into this hobby and he isn't a big people person but he loved his first meet and cant wait to go to the next one.

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #200 of 458

I'm fairly new too, but nobody is going to look down on you for it. This is a great opportunity to try new audio gear you may have never heard before (or may never hear again). 

I haven't been to a head-fi meet before, can I bring a backpack with a pair or headphones or two? I would usually just go to check out gear I haven't heard before but I am wondering if I will be able to try my headphones on some amps I've been looking into (and I doubt anyone will bring the headphones I would be bringing).

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #201 of 458
I'm fairly new too, but nobody is going to look down on you for it. This is a great opportunity to try new audio gear you may have never heard before (or may never hear again). 

I haven't been to a head-fi meet before, can I bring a backpack with a pair or headphones or two? I would usually just go to check out gear I haven't heard before but I am wondering if I will be able to try my headphones on some amps I've been looking into (and I doubt anyone will bring the headphones I would be bringing).

Yeah, I would say its encouraged to bring your own headphones to try on amps that way you have a reference point and you will be able to tell the difference.

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #202 of 458

Yeah, I would say its encouraged to bring your own headphones to try on amps that way you have a reference point and you will be able to tell the difference.

Definitely this. I do this at most meets. I'm planning to bring a rig this time, but that could change to headphones, mojo and an iPhone. It is nice to have headphones you know well when you try other amps and such. In general, ask before you plug in, and turn down the volume before plugging in and unplugging.

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #205 of 458
  Well now that we're gettin' in full swing with meet plans, here's two questions I think many of us would want to know

* Will the member rigs and exhibitors be mixed, or in a separate room?

* Will there be any catering?

Thanks if you can let us know @third_eye... 

Yep! The meet will be held in the common area of the office that can accommodate about 15 tables, as well as another 10 separate meeting/conference rooms of various sizes. Member rigs and exhibitors will be mixed although due to the smaller size of the some of the meeting rooms, some of them may be exhibitor only. Either way, this meet will have a similar feel to last year's meet at Wikia, although on a somewhat larger scale. There is still some space left for member rigs so please send me a PM if you need the space! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #208 of 458
  Astell+Kern, Hifiman, Sennheiser, and Wells Audio added to exhibitor list!

OMG sounds like this is going to be a legendary meet now!!! 
L3000.gif

For those that are considering help with setup, what time is recommended - 9am possibly?

I wonder if @warrenpchi can swing a deal to bring any of those new semi-portable Focal headphones to the show also?

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #209 of 458
  OMG sounds like this is going to be a legendary meet now!!! 
L3000.gif

For those that are considering help with setup, what time is recommended - 9am possibly?

I wonder if @warrenpchi can swing a deal to bring any of those new semi-portable Focal headphones to the show also?

Yes, setup is scheduled to begin from 8:30am........so anytime after that will be fine. As we get a little closer I'll be providing more details on the logistics. I think we'll be able to arrange for the new Focal headphones to be at the meet too. 
wink_face.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back