Official 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #166 of 298
  jbbikerider, I do not understand... please express.
popcorn.gif

Let's just say it was a strange awkward interaction between them and myself.  Just saying that I'll send my amplifier elsewhere. No harm no foul. 

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #167 of 298
I really hope I can drive out from Las Vegas for the next one!

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #168 of 298
  If you are not already a member, please join the SoCal Head-Fiers Group!

http://www.head-fi.org/groups/show/19/socal-head-fiers-group

Yes, please!  There are advance notice of upcoming meets in the group, which helps especially when people don't read the meet forums often. 
smile.gif

The AK240 has been working out quite nicely from a music and convenience standpoint, I've taken it on a walk, to the office, and it's a big step up from what I was using before. So far the biggest concern has just been carrying around such an expensive media player in my pocket. It gives me the same uncomfortable feeling I get as when I withdraw thousands of dollars in cash and walk around with a big, fat bulge in my pocket. As such activities are not a common everyday occurence for me, this is a cause for a modest amount of distress. I may look into purchasing a solid gold bar with my savings to carry around in my other pocket. This would amplify my tension level but should reduce my discomfort of keeping the AK240 in my pocket to zero. But yes! I did read the review Warren, glad to see how much you guys liked it.

You'll get used to having it with you.  The main thing is to act naturally, which makes you seem less of an obvious target.  That's the hope anyway. 
redface.gif

For the AK240, I think there's a tendency to see it as flat or boring on first listen, particularly in a meet environment where details can be lost in the clutter of ambient noise.  But spending more time with it - and ABing it vs the other DAP I was using at the time (AK120) - it starts to become clear that the AK240 is far more balanced and neutral than most other DAPs.

It's for this reason that I suggest the UERM as a nearly perfect complement for it in terms of portable usage.  I have yet to encounter a better balance between simplicity (just two items) and neutrality in a portable rig than the AK240+UERM.  If you want to have a bit a fun, then JH, Noble, or Tralucent would work well.

I really hope I can drive out from Las Vegas for the next one!

Yes!  And the meet will be free for you since you're coming from out of state. 
smile.gif
  Maybe carpool with other Vegas Head-Fiers?

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #169 of 298

Yes, please!  There are advance notice of upcoming meets in the group, which helps especially when people don't read the meet forums often. 
smile.gif

Rumored - Is it true that if I join the SoCal Head-Fiers Group, I'll get a free GaiWan? 
ksc75smile.gif

Fact - You're a top-tier Organizer and King of the Mega quote! 
thumbsup.gif

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #170 of 298
  Let's just say it was a strange awkward interaction between them and myself.  Just saying that I'll send my amplifier elsewhere. No harm no foul. 

Did Craig snap at you? Or pull off his cranky old-man act? Or tell you to buy another amp?

BTW, they got a text message concerning a family emergency at the meet. They were fine in the early morning, but I know they were weirded out later.

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #171 of 298

smile.gif

Rumored - Is it true that if I join the SoCal Head-Fiers Group, I'll get a free GaiWan? 
ksc75smile.gif

Shhh... then everyone will want to join, SoCal or not. 
biggrin.gif

Fact - You're a top-tier Organizer and King of the Mega quote! 
thumbsup.gif

Well, regarding meets, Ethan and I try our best.  I think I've got a ways to go before I hit my stride and get good at it.  Will definitely work on improvement though.

As for mega-quotes, lol, there I KNOW obobs still kicks my fat ass... though he's not around these days to put me to shame.

BTW, they got a text message concerning a family emergency at the meet. They were fine in the early morning, but I know they were weirded out later.

And they still stayed? 
eek.gif
  That's some serious dedication to the community right there.

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #172 of 298
Quite a few people had medical emergencies this month, which was awful.

About the AK240, because a few people have been asking: It doesn't have the more mellow, relaxing sound of the ak100 or ak120, it is more "clear" or nothing-but-the-facts (but not what people would call "cold" or harsh). It is much like the UERM is in terms of IEMs. I use the PRO EQ setting with those.

Likewise the HD800s, the balanced ones at the meet had a bit of a "warm" copper cable on them, which I thought made the sound just spot-on for me (assuming you like the HD800s in the first place). I had a listen with the Hugo later and it may be a bit better musically and maybe overall sound-wise (or maybe more than that, or not -- I wasn't trying to compare), but now I'm going to have to borrow a Hugo to be sure and really sit down and compare them. They are quite different animals,but both very good in their own way.

Mar 26, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #173 of 298

biggrin.gif

Or without even knowing what it is... free, right?!
dt880smile.png

Well, regarding meets, Ethan and I try our best.  I think I've got a ways to go before I hit my stride and get good at it.  Will definitely work on improvement though.

As for mega-quotes, lol, there I KNOW obobs still kicks my fat ass... though he's not around these days to put me to shame.

wink_face.gif
 But you go quantity AND quality!

And they still stayed?  
eek.gif

As a former MOT for CES and regional shows, I've been there on the other side of the table getting hit with unexpected news. Time, money and logistics come up in a hurry. One hopes things can get worked out with the help of others and put one's best foot forward. Granted, it's circumstance dependent.
redface.gif
I only wish our fellow member would give the couple the benefit of the doubt and his potential business. 

Mar 26, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #174 of 298
I see that Apogee Digital was there.  Does anyone have an opinion of the headphone amp that is in the Symphony I/O?
I know it is a great converter; but, is the headphone amp good?  Has anyone compared the Symphony I/O with the new Grace m920? 

Thanks,
Bugs

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #175 of 298
ksc75smile.gif

GaiWan?

I'm lazy. I prefer to make my own tea bags. Those are kind of expensive. You can get them for half that price at Marukai ($2 bucks for a pack of 66). Which is why I stopped buying tea online - the prices are double what they are in the store. I also use paper cups
wink.gif
Toss a little Genmai-Cha in there, add some hot water and sweetener and bingo. No mess to clean up, no expensive dishes to wash.

Yeah, my other hobby is Asian tea, lol. I have one full drawer at work devoted to tea. I usually keep 15-20 varieties on hand. Chinese and Japanese mostly.

Fate conspired against me attending the meet
frown.gif
. After months of wondering if I could get away from my insane work schedule, I finally got off work - then my son got a nasty cold, and I just couldn't bring myself to leave him at home.

I am hoping that next time I'll make a meet. Somewhere.

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #177 of 298

GaiWan?

I'm lazy. I prefer to make my own tea bags. Those are kind of expensive. You can get them for half that price at Marukai ($2 bucks for a pack of 66). Which is why I stopped buying tea online - the prices are double what they are in the store. I also use paper cups
wink.gif
Toss a little Genmai-Cha in there, add some hot water and sweetener and bingo. No mess to clean up, no expensive dishes to wash.

Yeah, my other hobby is Asian tea, lol. I have one full drawer at work devoted to tea. I usually keep 15-20 varieties on hand. Chinese and Japanese mostly.

frown.gif
. After months of wondering if I could get away from my insane work schedule, I finally got off work - then my son got a nasty cold, and I just couldn't bring myself to leave him at home.

I am hoping that next time I'll make a meet. Somewhere.

I'm a member of Marukai, congrats! 
beerchug.gif

But I use loose leaf to put inside my GaiWan, no bags needed. I mainly drink Chinese delicate Green & White teas; S.African Red teas. Will have to look in on Japanese teas when I'm in the market tomorrow.

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #178 of 298
About the AK240, because a few people have been asking: It doesn't have the more mellow, relaxing sound of the ak100 or ak120, it is more "clear" or nothing-but-the-facts (but not what people would call "cold" or harsh). It is much like the UERM is in terms of IEMs. I use the PRO EQ setting with those.

Yeah, I concur.  And when it flattened out the FR, I was able to discern more detail overall.  It's definitely less forgiving than the AK120, but I'm cool with that.

biggrin.gif

Or without even knowing what it is... free, right?!
dt880smile.png

Hey can't argue with free-ninety-free.  Well, we can, but we'd look pretty stupid doing so. 
wink.gif

wink_face.gif
 But you go quantity AND quality!

Mighty nice of you to say bro!  Thanks! 
smile.gif
  I just wanted everyone to have fun, and from what I saw at the meet, I'm thrilled in that I totally got what I wanted.  Probably going for more raffle prizes next time, what do y'all think of that?

And they still stayed?  
eek.gif

As a former MOT for CES and regional shows, I've been there on the other side of the table getting hit with unexpected news. Time, money and logistics come up in a hurry. One hopes things can get worked out with the help of others and put one's best foot forward. Granted, it's circumstance dependent.
redface.gif

Yup, just another reminder that none of us have the kind of power over time and space that we wish we had.  Such is life...

frown.gif

Man, fate has it in for ya... sorry we missed you. 
frown.gif

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #179 of 298

Mighty nice of you to say bro!  Thanks! 
smile.gif
  I just wanted everyone to have fun, and from what I saw at the meet, I'm thrilled in that I totally got what I wanted.  Probably going for more raffle prizes next time, what do y'all think of that?

thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #180 of 298
Well Gosh, I'm coming to the party late!  Don't you guys have jobs??? ;*).  That was my first meet and I had a great time, WAY too much gear to listen to.  Here are the highlights for me:

Darin Fong's software was really impressive for 7.1, wow.  And a great show price - - bought it.   The presets were interesting.  The JanZen preset sounded just like I remembered them at the Newport show.  According to Darin you can get an even closer approximation of different systems if you do the calibration with your own ears, due to different ear shapes.  So if there's a system you particularly like and have access to, he can come out and plug you in, for a nominal fee of course.  It's tempting.

Purrin's table blew me away.  I'm already an Audio-gd fan and a happy Ref 7.1 owner, so seeing the two DAC's I've been wanting to audition for the last year sitting on his table was pretty thrilling.  And with the Abyss you could really hear the DRASTIC difference between the two.  Man, that Master 7 throws out a HUGE soundstage!  

I'm not a big IEM fan, but I tried some of the JH IEMS.  The Roxannes and JH13's sounded peaky to my ears, but the JH16 was pretty good.

The King Sound electrostatic phones were really good.  I was thrown by how light they were.  I'm embarrassed to say that I did think, these can't be good, they're too light!  I was wrong... they were very good.

I'd never had the chance to compare the Sennheiser headphones side by side before and it was interesting.  The 800's also sounded a little peaky to my ears, but very clean, lean and mean.  The 650's weren't to my taste.  But I guess I'm one of the few, but I thought the 700's were really good and neutral.  I could listen to those for a long time

Alex Cavali's table was fantastic.  I first tried the Abyss with the Liquid Gold.  I can't decide if I liked this system for the Abyss or Purrin's system better.  They were both excellent.  I think Purrin's was a little more seductive to my ears.  Then I tried the STAX and my jaw dropped.  It's one of those things I'd have to live with for a while though to see if the magic lasts.  Usually when I'm wowed like that I get suspicious that it's more glitter than substance.  But wow, I was certainly wowed!  After chatting with Alex for a few minutes he suggested I give LFF's Enigma's a try and BAM - these teamed with the Cavali amp hit the sweet spot for me.  That was the highlight of the show for me.

I went over and spent a lot of time at LFF's table and will most likely end up with one of his headpones.  I liked them a lot better than my LCD-2's, which I like, but haven't really found a synergistic combination yet.  Though, I am at this very moment driving them with a Virtue Sensation amp off the speaker terminals for the first time and aside from the high background hiss which I think is coming from the Dodd tube buffer, it's sounding really sweet, the best they've sounded yet.  

I can't believe I didn't listen to the Lampi!

Great show, lots of fun.  THANKS Warren!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back