Official 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #106 of 298

Stupid question may be:  are the LFF's Paradox available for purchase ?  And does it isolate very well ?

Also, where can we download the Patricia Barber binaural track from the Accidental Powercut ?

thanks

I forgot his site, but he does sell them. 

Edit: I erred and meant Fiona Bevan on Bowers & Wilkins Society of Sound's Accidental Powercut series, which is all (?) binaural. It has a variety of artists.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #107 of 298

Pics or it didn't happen 
biggrin.gif

How'd you guys dig the E.A.R HP4 w/ Audeze LCD-X????

That's one of my top reference rigs right now, and I was PUMPED to hear that Dan (E.A.R's importer for US) was bringin' an HP4 to the Meet!!

Another thing I regret bout missing this Meet - I would've drummed up some excitement for his table.

@warrenpchi  - do you know how it went for Dan????

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #108 of 298
Does anyone remember who brought the HD650 with the pure silver cables? I can't remember there were too many tables haha I think it was Plus Sound though. I wasn't much of a believer in cables until I heard that setup. Took away the "veil"

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #109 of 298
  I guess it's my turn.  It was fun to once again share my Crack+Speedball with those interested... though I parked it on OJNeg's table and ditched it otherwise, so I didn't get to really chat with folks about it.  Thanks OJNeg for hosting it...

I was interested in listening to my HE-500 balanced (since I modded the cable about a month ago) and had a number of amps to plug into... so that was cool.

I was finally able to do a personal shoot out amongst the Audeze lineup.  Summary for me: LCD-3 > LCD-X > LCD-XC >> LCD-2 > HD650 (the last being a reference point).  The difference between the LCD-3 and LCD-X was slight, but noticeable for me going down to the LCD-2... but the LCD-3 was the clear winner in my listening in terms of sound signature and clarity.  That said, the LCD-XC is my new favorite full-sized closed headphone.  I'd *love* to have either the LCD-3 or the LCD-XC ... I wouldn't love to spend $1556 (LCD-3 with 20% discount) or $1349.25 (LCD-XC with 25% discount) to get 'em... but I have to admit, those discounts are tempting.

Speaking of closed headphones... stopped by with the UE folks again.  Love them... they're great folks and I love my UERMs.  Their guy Bryce cleaned 'em and I had a nice chat with Mike.  Definitely love my UERMs and also the UE18.  Stopped by and listened to the Noble stuff... listened to the Noble 4C... it was decent, but didn't wow me.  Then I listened to the Kaiser 10 and *man* that's a nice in-ear.  Great sound, great detail, great range.  Also visited the JH Audio guys to check out the JH13 and the Roxanne.  The latter was decent, but there was something about the sound that didn't really impress me.  I'd be perfectly happy with the JH13, though.  I won't give a comparison other than to say that the UERM, UE18, Kaiser 10 and JH13 are all awesome, and I feel lucky to have one of 'em.

Stopped by pretty much all of the vendors... raffle stickers or not.  Thought the Nuforce demo on their amp faking balanced with two amps was a bit odd.  Was impressed with Darin Fong's software... liked it for music, loved it for movies.

Didn't have any takers for my DT880/600 or my Light Harmonic Lightspeed USB cable... PM me if you're interested in either...

Other than that, just had fun listening to stuff, chatting with folks and generally being a kid in a candy store.  Thanks to everyone for being awesome!

HD650 and HD600 combo was a pleasure to listen to on your Crack :] 

I was pretty bummed I left my pair of DT880s at home and loaded up everything else to a Head-fi meet :p. I still believe not all DT880s sound the same and I wish I could have heard your impression on my headphone pairing

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #110 of 298
WooOOooOooOO~~~~~

Wow. This event was really amazing as many before me have said. It's awesome to be able to talk to some of the community members as well as listen to various set-ups seeing as how I would never really be able to afford such gear. That being said I want to preface my impressions as somebody who does not own any "high-end" audio equipment and that this is the my first experience with a meet like this. 

Overall the meet provided a really friendly environment for noobs (like moi) to enthusiasts to share our love for music and sound. Ethan and Warren planned an amazing event with great vendors. There is something that I do want to mention which to a lot of people may not seem significant but really impressed me. The name tags that everyone received was designed very well. Not only that, they had name tags for both Head-fi members as well as their attendees with the name printed. On the back of the name tag provides the list of vendors participating in the raffle. PLUS it was also made of some sort of thicker stock paper. I was really impressed by this because the attention to detail that these guys put in really made it a very enjoyable event.

Now onto the audio impressions. Overall, I have to say that I was a bit underwhelmed by the different set-ups that I heard. I always hear great things being said about the different headphones and set-ups that were at the event. However, to me, a lot of them sounded, bland to be honest. I'm not confusing this with neutral, but bland and dull. A lot of the set-ups felt like they were holding the headphones back from what they can really do. The legendary HD800 at some of the vendors sounded muddy which took me by great surprise. The amazing Audeze headphones sounded weak in a lot of the vendor set-ups that I heard. Towards the end of the day I really was asking myself, was I expecting too much? 

But alas, the answer was no. There were actually three vendor set-ups that I thought sounded fantastic which are:

The first was at the Darrin Fong Audio booth with the Stax-009 headphone. The headphones were able to produce sound that, did not sound like they were coming from the side of your head. Everything just sounded natural and open I found myself looking around like a dog chasing its own tail. With its open back design, it was natural for me to be able to hear Darrin talk right behind. What I did no expect was to be hear musical elements that sounded further away than Darrin, and then closer. From what I understand, the Out of Your Head software provides a 7 speaker surround sound experience with headphones with 7 different directions. But there was more to it than just direction. There was also depth to the sound. I was able to clearly tell apart when something was happening closer or further to me and in what position. Furthermore, I was able to do this in a crowded and loud room but still be able to distinguish where the sound was coming from. Amazing. Just amazing. I'm not sure whether this was due to the headphones or the software, but the combination rocked my socks! The Stax headphone just sounded so natural to me. I'm kind of at a lost for words. Needless to say, I am seriously considering buying a license from Darrin.

The second set-up I thought sounded really good was the WyWires. I'm not sure what amp/dac they were connected to but they were using their balanced audeze cable with a pair of LCD-Xs. Two words that I would describe this set-up are liquid gold. Imagine having a towel that was completely saturated with water, and then you just twist and squeeze it. It kind of felt like that for my ears. I felt like was overcome with a wave of warmth as I listened to Your Song by Elton John. Just wow. It sounded really good and that's all I can say about it.

The third set-up was Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs with his adjustment kit. When I first sat down to listen to the mad dogs, I thought they were pretty good. Moving up to the Alpha Dogs, there was a lot more clarity and detail but I found it a bit too bright for my tastes. So he put in his adjustment kit which is two pads of some sort onto the earcups and everything sounded amazing after that. The detail was still there but everything felt more humble, down-to-earth type of sound. I listened to Yesterday by The Beatles and I was almost starting to tear up. Paul's voice just sounded so real and so close to me. The sound, the music, suddenly became a voice and a band. Really really fantastic stuff.

Just thinking back to these memories just makes me feel so good. One thing that I learned at this event that it's not all about frequency response and how colored or neutral something sounds, its also about how natural something sounds. All the three headphones that I tried sounded natural to me. It didn't make me go wow and say OMG THIS IS THE **** WOOT WOOT YEAHHH. No, it didn't give me that type of a reaction, but wow. These headphones good. And I say good because when I heard them, I thought to myself, isn't this how music should be listened to? My ears heard the music from these headphones in such a natural manner that it just blew my mind away. Going back to my UE TripleFi 10s it made me realize even more how much I miss those natural sounding headphones. The TF10s are by no means bad in sound quality, but it just doesn't give me that same natural sound that I find myself in love with now. 

I learned a lot at this event and it really opened my eyes to what kind of sound that I was looking for. I hope that there will be another event soon that I can attend to meet everyone again. I had a blast helping out at the front desk and I would love to see myself doing that at the next event as well. I can't wait for the next one.

Cheers!

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #111 of 298
Wow!

What a wonderful meet. Serious kudos to you organizers and volunteers that made it happen. Even on the day of, many individuals took long shifts manning the check in table. From my perspective, everything was incredibly smooth.

My first meet was 4 years ago in San Diego (thanks, mrspeakers), and it was great to see so many friends dating back to then, and plenty new faces as well. 

I'll try to keep it brief, but a few pieces of equipment I really thought were good (price/performance wise, in no particular order):

Yulong A-100 - I really wanted to hear some yulong gear as it's pretty new on the scene, and I really liked this Yulong A-100 amplifier. Very similar in tonality to the Matrix M-stage, but a little less warm, excellent detailing and sound stage. I think it's a pretty good unit at the price (remember the gents name, but not his handle, but shout out to you. Wonder if you got wrangled into those alphas in the end 
wink.gif
).

LCD-X - A heard a lot of mixed things about this headphone, but I really enjoyed the more "reference" sound from it. I thought it added a lot of space and speed to this headphone. I really enjoyed it, quite a bit more than the LCD-2, and even the LCD-3. Definitely shades of personal preference involved, but I liked the tonality changes. 

LCD-X / Mjolnir - Whew! This combo makes me reconsider Audeze altogether. I always found Audeze a little too dark and closed in for my liking, but the LCD-X's lighter tonality being worked by the Mjolnir was a really enjoyable to listen to. This pairing made me start running through finances in my head to see if I could work out to pay for it. 

LCD-X / Phonitor 2 - I think the Phonitor had a bit of a treble edge to it which seemed to go well with the LCD-X. It definitely is a very reference sounding amplifier, and I really enjoyed the features on it quite a bit. I thought all the 'monitor' knobs and dials were a little gimmicky, and at the price there's a lot of competition, see above.

King Sound H3 - I actually really enjoyed these headphones as well. They definitely surprised me. The headphones are $899, and although they aren't a 007, I think they definitely would give the lower Stax headphones a really good competition. They didn't really have any of the problems I didn't like about the lower electrostatic headphones, and sounded a little more dynamic in some ways. 

Mad Dog Lineup - Always a pleasure to see Dan Clarke around. I really have enjoyed seeing what has done with his mods over the years starting with him "toying around" with some T50rps at my first meet a few years back. I thought the "pro" was indeed quite good, and definitely as a bit of an upgrade over the "mad dog". Very impressive work. Also I finally found something bad to say about Dan Clarke! At the meet he had In-n-out and didn't offer me a french fry. I'm pretty sure that's in the Southern California Code of Conduct, dude  
tongue.gif
. (Also the Alpha Dogs on the Liquid Glass was indeed excellent).

Abyss - A gent said "you've gotta hear this bass" (remember your name, but didn't grab your head-fi handle). The bass, was truly hard to describe on these. I think I could leave it at,  these can double as "ear air conditioners" due to the volume of air moving. Whoah! (also nice seeing you again purrin). 

Also, in all the chaos that was the Audeze booth, I forgot to grab a coupon code. (not that I'm incredibly tempted to get a pair of LCD-X). Any way to get one post-meet?

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #112 of 298
Does anyone remember who brought the HD650 with the pure silver cables? I can't remember there were too many tables haha I think it was Plus Sound though. I wasn't much of a believer in cables until I heard that setup. Took away the "veil"

That was us.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Mar 24, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #113 of 298

...I finally found something bad to say about Dan Clarke! At the meet he had In-n-out and didn't offer me a french fry. I'm pretty sure that's in the Southern California Code of Conduct, dude  
tongue.gif
. (Also the Alpha Dogs on the Liquid Glass was indeed excellent).

If it's any consolation they were cold.  
wink_face.gif

But if you're ever in San Diego, there's one two blocks from our office.  Hot fries on me.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 24, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #114 of 298
Big Kudos to Warren and Ethan along with all the others who helped put this meet together. As a member of the trade I've been to too many audio shows but I can say for sure this one was by far the most fun. Great job guys!

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #115 of 298
Pendulumic, where are you guys? I hope you guys have an account here XD Thanks very mucho for the S1s. I showed these to my non-audiophile GF who then Demo-ed them and her eyes...i wish i could have recorded the face she made. My other HPs (which i will not mention) did not get that reaction. (She loved these!). By the way the steampunk design...LOVIN' IT ON ALL ANGLES. Now i got to get a AptX bluetooth phone.
wink.gif
don't mean to start a review (wrong place to do it and not sure if it will help anyone XD) so all in all i loved it once the clamp loosened up a little. would like to know more about ForgetableFit tech though! just a newbie who won something at his 1st meet!

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #116 of 298
  Pendulumic, where are you guys? I hope you guys have an account here XD Thanks very mucho for the S1s. I showed these to my non-audiophile GF who then Demo-ed them and her eyes...i wish i could have recorded the face she made. My other HPs (which i will not mention) did not get that reaction. (She loved these!). By the way the steampunk design...LOVIN' IT ON ALL ANGLES. Now i got to get a AptX bluetooth phone.
wink.gif
don't mean to start a review (wrong place to do it and not sure if it will help anyone XD) so all in all i loved it once the clamp loosened up a little. would like to know more about ForgetableFit tech though! just a newbie who won something at his 1st meet!

They do I'm pretty sure, I'm almost positive I've seen them post here

And yeah, the Pendulumics were amazing, can't believe the price point and everything

I heard a few people mention they clamped a bit hard, I didn't really notice that, but I'd assume they stretch out and loosen up with use anyway

Very gorgeous headphones, and I love the volume knob, and the battery use as well as the rechargable built in battery for really really long use was a nice touch, kinda tempted to pick up a pair, but gotta figure out a portable amp to make use of this new silver mini cable I won :p

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #117 of 298
ok finally got around to uploading a few pics....
Sorry in advance if I get anyone's name wrong

Russtafarian's Stax with a nice turntable setup was a treat; wonderful soundstage. Nice headphone stand too haha

Eddie Current setup was very nice

This big beast from Exit Level Audio was great with the HD-800s. Very well done!

This setup forever ruined me..... I NEED one now! Stax SR-009 and Blue Hawaii SE was awe inspiring.

Me trying to enjoy the Abyss. Great sound but IMO overpriced and waay too uncomfortable. The rigid frame means you have to squeeze your head into them...

A few others I sadly didn't get pics of:
The Woo WA5 paired with WDS-1 and WTP-1 was unbelievably transparent! Not to mention beautiful to look at. The clarity was just amazing.
New Schiit Ragnarok was a beast. 15 watts!!!?? Holy Schiit! drives the HD-800 very nicely. Jason was very nice to talk to and very informative.
Moreserotonin's WA7 and HD-700 was wonderful for a small setup. Those cans are very comfortable.
JH Audio's lineup was great. the Roxeanne was a tad bit disappointing for the price, but I couldn't get a great fit so that may have been the issue.
Cavalli's setups were great running off the Resolution Cantata DAC. Alex was very informative about his amps.
So many others I can't name them all! Great job everyone!

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #118 of 298
The meet was fantastic this year and a bit larger than last year so I barely had any time to look at the non-vendor tables. As someone who went to both this year and last year's meet, I can easily say this year was way bigger and crazier in a good way. Can't wait for next year's already. 

Some things that really stood out:

1. Darin Fong's audio program was exquisite. I can't believe I haven't found any programs similar to it yet so it does indeed seem one of a kind. It is really awesome and I highly recommend people take a listen. He offers free trials on his software on his website so I really think everyone should try it out. It's really something. Mad props. 

2. LFF's Paradox/Paradox Slant was much, much better than anything I thought. I never heard them before Saturday, but I am beyond impressed and really would like a pair soon except I can't really afford something of that caliber due to recently purchasing some speakers for my home set-up. I'm going to say something quite controversial and say that I personally think the Paradox is better than the LCD XC in almost every way except imaging/speed. The LCD XC was very good upon listening to it in multiple set ups, but I honestly thought that the Paradox playing FLAC straight out of my smartphone (yes, just an iPhone) was almost just as good (cue: "OMG what a fool, you lost all credibility forever. No $500 can is as good as a $2k can). Major props to LFF. 

3. LCD-X on multiple set ups (WyWire booth, Cavalli booth): This was crazy good. End game good. Not much more to say except I would like a pair - someday...

4. KingSound H3: The most comfortable headphone I wore at the meet and quite possible ever worn. Sound quality aside, I think those might be the fluffiest headphones I've ever put on my head. 

Can't wait for next year. I'm already starting a count down. Hopefully it's more central this year than OC so everyone from the San Fernando Valley and OC can meet equidistant in the middle for the meet rather than it flipping from OC to Valley back and fourth every year. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #119 of 298
I had my reservations coming into this meet, considering that I wasn’t really looking forward to replacing any of my current setup.  I just wanted to simply compare how the Grado 225i, which I brought with me, stacks up against the big boys.  Well, it was quite overwhelming, to say the least, just to see so many high end stuff on display that I almost forgot about making such comparisons.  The meet was certainly worth it; although, I wished I had come in a bit earlier, instead of doing a walk-in during that afternoon. 
The game-changer for this meet happened once I visited Darin Fong’s corner.  It just blew my mind.  I’ve heard plenty enough of these types of surround sound processing in my days (from the long gone Aureal Vortex 3D to whatever’s current) but nothing was more impressive than the software he created.  The surround integration was so convincing I was just astounded by it, not to mention such a simplistic interface within the program.  With people chatting behind me I kept turning my head around thinking that there were speakers literally set up in the room interfering with what I’m about to experience.  I didn’t know it was already happening - and that’s what the amazing part was, as I was expecting the sound on my ear, not outside.  It literally took me out of it. 

Anyhow, it was really quite an experience and would like to thank Darin for such an amazing experience.  I told him that my visit to his table was worth the ticket alone and, have to say, it was the best.  Keep up the good work, Darin.  Who knows? perhaps with a few more tweaking you might come up with something almost Dolby Atmos-like in surround.  I know it’ll just get better.  Oh, and that Stax headphone?  Remember in the movie The Prestige when Hugh Jackman was sitting in a train, staring into space, with a pensive look on his face - over what he just witnessed and couldn’t believe?  That’s how I’ve been looking lately.  Man, if I were stranded on an island, I might just pass up on a plane ticket for that headphone :)  

On another note, the fellow I was doing an abing with, with the RS1 and 225i, I never had the chance to ask his name – I wanted to discuss further about his Grado experience.  Pm or something when you get a chance or if you happen to read this. 

I definitely will be looking forward to more meets in the future.  Thanks everyone.   

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #120 of 298
One question about the LFF's Enigma:  It is a closed headphone, but... how well does it isolate ?

Indeed,  I am looking for a "NON Leaking" headphone to use (instead of my TH900) when, in a very quiet environement,  I cannot afford to disturb other people.  Is it as good as an AlphaDOG or a SigPRO on this NON Leaking matter ?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back