OFFICIAL 2012 Bay Area Meet Thread (California) February 11th, Saturday
Jan 11, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #136 of 473

Quote:
That would be perfect!!  I'd really appreciate it.  

I'll load a thumb drive up with some stuff, and it would be easy for others to drop their thumb drives in if they bring one along... cool!  

Is the performance bad if you use an external hard drive instead of a thumb?

Thanks!

Playback performance, for me, has been good with either media.  What takes time is building the music database of songs stored on the media.  Large capacity external hard drives most likely will have a large number of files. Scanning and indexing a large music collection can be very time consuming, maybe 20-30 min. if you have 20k songs or more.  So swapping large capacity drives with large music collections would not be practical if you wish to switch collections quickly.  50-100 songs on the other hand should take less than one minute.

One other reason hard drives may not be practical for the meet, is that the drive may not be compatible with the Touch.  Although all USB 2.0 compatible drives should work, there are differences in current draw between various manufacturers.  USB drives with high current demands may not work properly with the Touch. 

An 8-32 GB (or higher) thumb drive would be a safer bet and would have more than enough capacity to hold a good size playlist.  I have a 64GB thumb drive with 600+ songs (which I intend to bring) and it takes 2-3 minutes to wipe and rescan the entire collection.

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #138 of 473
I've got a Touch as well, if you need three.... the more the better, right? 

I have had issues with portable hard drives though. They seem to do much better with a powered USB hub connection. The Touch doesn't have enough juice on the USB I guess. SD cards are great though.

BTW - what about cables? Digital cables, interconnects, etc. I hadn't really thought about it until now - would it be helpful if I provided those as well? Or would that just create more clutter/things to lug around?

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #139 of 473
A few would certainly let me set up a couple of stations.

I have a decent collection of cables, but a few basics might not be a bad idea just so we don't come up short setting something up.  I'm pretty good on interconnects and optical, but could use a little help on the coax/spdif front.

Quote:
I've got a Touch as well, if you need three.... the more the better, right? 

I have had issues with portable hard drives though. They seem to do much better with a powered USB hub connection. The Touch doesn't have enough juice on the USB I guess. SD cards are great though.

BTW - what about cables? Digital cables, interconnects, etc. I hadn't really thought about it until now - would it be helpful if I provided those as well? Or would that just create more clutter/things to lug around?

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #140 of 473
I could also bring some cables (Toslink, etc.) and SD cards with some of my LP rips at 24bit/96khz (.wav).

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #142 of 473
I have one longer optical (4ft?), and two small optical that I just received from Monoprice!  (1.5-footers?)  

Will need one small if the EC Super 7 is ready in time...

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #143 of 473
Ooo. I somehow missed this thread. I'm in! :)
edit: Just realized i'm already on the list! Bahaha! 

btw: LOVE the idea of the quiet room! Anyone bringing Beyerdynamic DT1350's????? :D

Does everyone who need rides already have themselves covered? 

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #144 of 473
Gotcha covered on the 1350's.  Will have the Sennheiser HD 25-1-II originals and the V-Moda V-80 for some comparisons as well...

Quote:

btw: LOVE the idea of the quiet room! Anyone bringing Beyerdynamic DT1350's????? :D

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #145 of 473
Oh awesome! I can't wait to try them out. 

Quote:
Gotcha covered on the 1350's.  Will have the Sennheiser HD 25-1-II originals and the V-Moda V-80 for some comparisons as well...

Quote:

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #146 of 473

Quote:
Those SD cards would be great, I know you have a great collection!

Well... if you'd prefer, I can bring a portable drive (USB, externally powered - based on previous posts).

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #147 of 473
Whatever is convenient for you.  I just want to have easy access for listeners so we don't have to do too much changing of rigs mid-meet, so it would be great if there are a few complete systems at the table.  And I'm lazy, I don't want to drag a desk top computer!

Thanks again.

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #148 of 473
Will anyone attending this meet have either a HeadAmp BHSE or Stax SR-009? I'm seriously contemplating traveling out and either of those could definitely help sway me to attend the meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back