Office-Fi
Mar 31, 2004 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BeeEss

100+ Head-Fier
It's been awhile since I have posted, but I was hoping you nice folks could give me some advice. I need a small hifi system to put in my office at work. I have a headphone system here, but I would really like to be able to hear the phone ring
smily_headphones1.gif
I am open to just about anything at this point, be it an integrated amp and bookshelfs to a mini/micro system to powered computer speakers and everywhere in between. I want to keep it under $300 (which most likely invalidates the integrated amp and speakers option). I have looked at the radios from Tivoli and Cambridge Soundworks - I liked the Cambridge Radio 730 okay but wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions. I know there are tons of those 'executive' microsystems out there but I haven't heard many of them and don't really need a tuner/CD player/tape deck. Still, if there is a great bang-for-the-buck deal out there on something like that I am open for suggestions.

I am only going to play music on the system (no games or miscellaneous computer stuff) and the only source will be my 60GB Nomad Zen (generally, 192kbps/VBR high). Really, computer speakers would be ideal, but I have yet to find any that I thought were very musical. Also, a consideration is that the speakers will have to sit on the desk and will be relatively close to me, so obviously I won't be getting the ultimate in sound quality but would still like something listenable. I have no problems buying from ebay, audiogon, etc if I can tell the gear is in good shape.

Anyway, now taking suggestions. Thanks in advance.
--b

Apr 1, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 5
The Denon mini systems are supposed to be nice, but they might be a little more than you need. I actually use my Tivoli Model 2 as my computer speakers and they work very nicely. There is a mix-in which I plug my pc into using a mini to mini cable. The aux-in I use to hook up my PCDP. The Tivoli also looks very nice and the overall build quality is pretty sturdy. They're also probably going to be smaller than the average mini system. They also sound great!

Apr 1, 2004 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 5
BeeEss,
I had a set of Bose Roommate IIs which I paid $100 USDs for on ebay. They were a great set up as computer speakers. I used my IBM T23 Thinkpad as the source and being as the Roommates )or Lifestyles as they are sold as today) are amplified, that was all I needed to make a reasonable sound at my desk.

I'd definately have a look in the "speaker" gallery at the ipod studio
You'll find pretty much every portable speaker on the market in there, which will at least give you a good of what's out there..

Apr 3, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 5
The Tivoli 2 is my part of my setup, and it's a great piece of kit. If you have a computer nearby, just pick up a good 1/8" cable and you're set. Otherwise, pick up a decent MP3 player or an iRiver, and hook its line out up the the Tivoli.

BTW, the Tivoli sound pretty good; it definitely is inaccurate, but it's very musical (and inexpensive). And don't forget, it has an AWESOME tuner that feels great.

Other people know a lot more than I do, and could probably put together a pretty good stereo setup with an amp for that much, but meh.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back