Off the Path Most Traveled
Jun 8, 2002 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

john_jcb

This is a customized witticism.
The music section of Head-Fi has alerted me to a number of artists and even genres of music. For what ever reason some have been totally new to me others I have lisened to again with a more open mind.

Suggest some genre, artists or bands that you enjoy that have eluded mainstream acclaim.

Jun 8, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 7
progressive rock of the last decade, definately. not only the 80s bands that are still active lost media attention (Marillion!) while they still make rock solid and innovative music, but also solid and fresh acts.

I'll be the first to admit there's quite some cheesy stuff out there, but the gems are not getting any attention either. shame if you ask me, cause stuff like the latest Marillion and Porcupine Tree should be quite marketable.

you know some of the most excellent bands (Camel for instance) can't even tour because they can't get the backing of a decent label, since those labels prefer to put their money behind the next boyband and the new blonde bombshell.

Jun 8, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 7
I usually check out Pastemusic.com and cdbaby.com for indie stuff.
The genres are pretty wide. On those sites you can sample whole songs instead of clips.
So much music, so little time.
md

Jun 9, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 7
I think the band Fugazi is, essentially, the ultimate indie band. They have remained off of major labels and truly independent in their way of doing things - yet sell pretty well.

Of course, they also make super music.

Check out The Argument, Fugazi's latest offering......it's......"post-punk"......but......wow......

biggrin.gif

I also think that the indie band Dredg doesn't get enough attention.

And basically, Radiohead gets way too much attention - and way too little.

They aren't really revolutionizing rock and roll, IMO, but they do some really interesting things, musically, that I don't feel get enough recognition.

Nine Inch Nails may be the most under-rated band of all time, though NIN worshippers (read as: one of my best friends) can be damn annoying.

Tool is definetely over-rated.......but they have the same thing as Radiohead - their musical ideas don't get enough recognition......(Pyramid Song & The Grudge by those two bands both have this weird pseudo-swing thing going on.......).

Asian Underground stuff is super, and not very popular.

And of course, American Folk music is a super genre that is often over-looked...

Jun 9, 2002 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 7
First of all, I agree with many of the suggestions that have already been made. So in addition to that:

How about the whole current wave of synth-pop? Some of my personal favourites are Red Flag (yes, they are still making music), Beborn Beton, De/Vision, and Melotron. All of these, if the world was fair, would be as big as Pet Shop Boys or Kylie Minogue.

Then there's this whole "post-rock" movement -- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Black Heart Procession, Elbow, Doves, King Black Acid...

Jun 9, 2002 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 7
I've been listening to a lot of Alt Country lately. Three people I highly recomend are:
Lucinda Williams - she's only recorded six albums since '72 and all of them are great.
Steve Earle - he's a lot more prolific than Lucinda Williams. All of his CD's are good. A few to start with are "El Corazon", "Guitar Town", and "Transcendental Blues".
Gillian Welch - her CD "Time (The Revelator)" was my pick of CD of the year in one of the polls on this forum. She writes with David Rawlings who plays guitar on this CD. He's so good he should probably get equal billing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back