Off the Market - Joe Grado HP1 (or Trade for PS1000)
Oct 31, 2009 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

CherryBomb

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all:

Recently I purchased this set of headphones:

Joseph Grado HP 1000 Signature Headphones HP-1 - eBay (item 220492803668 end time Oct-17-09 17:00:11 PDT)

I can verify that the headphones are in as good a cosmetic condition as indicated by the seller in the eBay listing. You can see my eBay feedback here: [127 transactions and perfect feedback] eBay Feedback Profile for jmburbage0of1. My thoughts about the SQ of these cans are posted below.

I am looking to get [off the market], firm. I will not respond to lowball offers. I am willing to consider a trade for an excellent condition PS1000, and am willing to kick a little cash in.

For my own convenience, I prefer a US sale, and will ship via 1-day shipping at my expense. I will also cover PayPal fees.

However, I am willing to ship world-wide, with international buyers paying half the cost of shipping plus insurance.

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 16

CherryBomb

100+ Head-Fier
Nov 1, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 16

CherryBomb

100+ Head-Fier
Bump: Open to International Buyers

Willing to ship world-wide, with international buyers paying half the cost of shipping plus insurance. All customs papers will accurately describe the headphones, including the value of the headphones.

If you are in the US, then I will pay for the cost of overnight shipping plus insurance.

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 16

CherryBomb

100+ Head-Fier
Willing to consider a trade for an excellent condition Grado PS1000, with a cable upgrade being preferred but not required (e.g., black dragon or similar quality).

A word or two about the sound of these cans is in order. I finally got these HP1s properly amped, and they do sound fantastic. All it required was for me to flip the crossfeed switch off and change from the stock flat pads to the bowl pads. These things sound amazing, and especially favor metal, punk and classical music such as Beethoven, Wagner, Bruckner and Shostakovich; IMO, composers such as Mozart or Chopin did not sound as well. Honestly, I've never heard a headphone do as well with the horns in Bruckner's music --- with these cans, Bruckner's brass sound clear and musical, with absolutly no need to turn the volume down. No small accomplishment, IMO.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 16

unlimited

500+ Head-Fier
Wow very good condition
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 16

CherryBomb

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks. You can tell that these have been very well taken care of. The only thing that is not in great condition are the pads, but, IMO you would be better off switching to the bowl pads anyway.

I should also point out that the polarity switches on these headphones does not work, as the original owner apparently disconnected them per Joe Grado's instructions.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 16

CherryBomb

100+ Head-Fier
Please note that there is some lettering missing. The biggest area of concern is the left "L" marker on one side. My pictures above did not properly capture this, but you can see this for yourself at the following link:

Grado - Windows Live

Although not perfect, I think most would agree that these HP1s are in exceptional condition.

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 16

CherryBomb

100+ Head-Fier
As my one and only price drop, I will sell my HP1s for [off the market]. This price includes overnight shipping and paypal fees for US customers. International buyers will split the cost of shipping.

If interested, please PM me.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #11 of 16

CherryBomb

100+ Head-Fier
Some folks are asking me while I am selling these headphones after acquiring them so recently. My answer to this is that they are really awesome headphones, and if there are any problems with them whatsoever, then it is me. Let me explain.

At first I had a hard time with the HP-1s. I have some hearing loss in my left ear, and have had two different surgeries on that same ear, so sometimes it can be hard for me to get my headphones properly amped. It can also be hard for me to find the right ear pads that will feel comfortable on my left ear, since that ear can ache sometimes; this is especially true for headphones having pads that sit on the ear like the HP-1s.

I have since found a configuration for the HP-1s that does the trick for me me and my particular set of ear issues: I put the bowl pads on them, and turn the cross feed off on my HR Desktop Amp. The sound of this is excellent for much of my music, but not all.

My wife on the other hand has no ear issues. She listens to the HP-1s with the flat pads and she assures me they sound AWESOME for all types of music. She likes them way better than my RS-2s or HD650s, and for any music whatsoever. So, I feel confident that the SQ of my HP-1s are excellent, and that the drivers are in excellent condition.

Unfortunately, as awesome as the HP-1s are, given the price they just aren't a good fit for me due to the HP-1 pads being on the ear. I could just use them with the bowl pads, but this narrows the scope of music that sound good with them. The bowls also sit on the ear a little, which can cause my left ear to ache. So, I'd like to switch to an elite-class headphone having drivers that are tuned for pads that go all the way around my ears, and the PS1000 looks to be a perfect match.

I hope this helps explain why I am selling these awesome headphones.

Nov 9, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #14 of 16

CherryBomb

100+ Head-Fier
I've decided to leave these headphones on the market until they sell. I will bump them periodically. Anyone interested in purchasing them is welcomed to PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread