Oehlbach 120ohm adapter with ER4P
May 25, 2004 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ampgalore

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got my Oehlbach 120ohm adapter. Tried it with my ER4P. I find ER4 is not as bright as ER4P with Ety's P to S adapter, a bit less fatiguing.

What's your experience with this combo?

May 25, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 10
You sure about that? I had both and I felt they were identical despite the 20ohm difference. I liked the oehlbach because it felt more solid and looked a lot cooler.

May 25, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 10
I went a step further, added both the oelbach adapter and the Ety P to S adapter in series to the ER4P, sounded a bit darker still.

There is really no objective way to distinguish sound quality until one can be sure that one is listening at the same volume all the time throughout the duration of the comparison. Changing the impedance necessarily changes the headphone volume at a given amp output. Louder volume is generally more pleasing (that's why you take a spl meter with you when you go speaker shopping).

Whatever my point is, it is hard to do these kinds of comparions using headphones.

May 25, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 10
so would you recommend the oel or the ety adapter?

i have the er4p and looking to get an adapter

May 25, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by utdeep
I had both and I felt they were identical despite the 20ohm difference.

ER4P (27 ohm) + Oehbach (120 ohm) = 147 ohm

ER4P (27 ohm) + Ety adapter cable (80 ohm) = 107 ohm (same as ER4S)

Difference = 40 ohms

May 25, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 10
That I don't really know. The only thing I do know for a fact is that the 40ohm difference in impedance does make oelbach plus the ER4P combo harder to drive than the ER4P with the Ety adapter.

I bought oelbach adapter from jpleg, he's had it longer than I have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef
so would you recommend the oel or the ety adapter?

i have the er4p and looking to get an adapter

May 25, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 10
Hi,
I'm using the Oehlbach adaptoer with my ER4P's. It came free with my Porta Corda 11. However, I've got a nagging feeling that I should get the proper ety adaptor, because I'm not getting the designed sound. The ety adaptor reduces the bass and treble lift apparently, so increasing the impedance further could reduce the bass below it's intended level. Is this correct? Although the impedance difference doesn't seem much in numeric terms, it is a high percentage. I don't want to waste money, but I do want to maximise the performance of my equipment. Help!!!!!!!
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
John

May 25, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #8 of 10
I don't know what else Ety has put into the official P to S adapter, might be trade secrets
biggrin.gif

With the oelbach adapter, I noticed the Etys were a bit darker. With the Ety adapter, I noticed the Etys a bit brighter, larger soundstage. But all this could be due to the 40ohm difference in impedance changing outputlevels. That's why I didn't want do an "official" comparison, don't have the equipment to measure the sound level coming out of canalphones.

May 25, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #9 of 10
Hmm, I'm interested in trying this out for my ety's. Is anyone going to be ordering from Meier Audio soon? Maybe I can tack the adapter onto your order to save on shipping.... Anyone anyone?

May 25, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #10 of 10
I was considering the Oehlbach, but I opted to have a 73 Ohm 1/8" to 1/4" adapter built by one of the DIY'ers on the board. The way I look at it, with an adapter, I have less mess and I don't need to use the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter.

Just my .02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back