Ode to the HD-555
May 21, 2005 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ilovesocks

1000+ Head-Fier
Seems to me like there have been about 20 threads here in the past few weeks asking about the 555: 555 vs this, that, and its grandma; and just about every time the 555 came out on top. So it looks like we can say this:

Whether or not you amp your setup;
with your current cans we know you've been fed up;
as long as you're looking for open phones,
the 555 will send chills through your bones.

Don't ask if you should get 555's. Just buy them! They're like silver cinnamon buns for your ears!

May 21, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 7
Silver cinnamon buns? I don't like silver. I just accidentally dropped a molten blob of silver bearing solder on my hand. Ow.

Anyway, yeah, I've been tempted to look into the HD555 too...I'm in the market for some higher end Sennheisers.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 7
A beautiful ode ilovesocks. Such a nice break from the scientific & mathmatical impersonality of headphone statistics memorasation to a more relaxed & personal expression of a headphone fanatics fanaticism about one of their favorite headphones.

May 25, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 7
I just bought my first good headphones, hd555's and they're great compared to any previous cheap headphones. I'm just wondering one thing. Listening mp3's on the computer (some integrated ac-97 or something soundcard) through my speakers, the sound is almost as good as listening CD's with on my old stereo system (amplifier Pioneer DC-X11Z, CD player JVC XL-V241).

So, the question is, does my old amplifier really suck or is it something else?
icon10.gif

May 25, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAmplifier
I just bought my first good headphones, hd555's and they're great compared to any previous cheap headphones. I'm just wondering one thing. Listening mp3's on the computer (some integrated ac-97 or something soundcard) through my speakers, the sound is almost as good as listening CD's with on my old stereo system (amplifier Pioneer DC-X11Z, CD player JVC XL-V241).

So, the question is, does my old amplifier really suck or is it something else?
icon10.gif

With a higher quality source and a headphone amp you'd probably notice much more of a difference. Relatively speaking. The heavens wouldn't open up or anything, but you'd probably notice more speed, detail and definition.

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!
wink.gif

May 25, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murdoch
With a higher quality source and a headphone amp you'd probably notice much more of a difference. Relatively speaking. The heavens wouldn't open up or anything, but you'd probably notice more speed, detail and definition.

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!
wink.gif

What about connecting the headphones straight to soundcard without my speakers in between? Better quality? I should really get a better soundcard too
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back