Oculus's $49 Earbud
Oct 15, 2016 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

yfei

100+ Head-Fier
Oculus unveiled new Earbud for Oculus Rift VR headset in Oculus Connect 3 event this month
Oculus claims "They cost $49 and provide an audio experience that's as great as $900 earphones. The earbuds ship on Dec. 6."
http://mashable.com/2016/10/06/oculus-earphones-rift-vr-headset/#SzaBnM8y1aqY
http://www.techradar.com/news/wearables/oculus-rift-s-new-earbuds-promise-high-end-audio-on-the-cheap-1330071

My initial thinking was wishful, but also skeptical, because we can certainly find a $900 IEM that s**ks.  So, saying "better than A $900 IEM" doesn't tell us anything actually.

First, tried it on Oculus Rift.  The sound is pretty good.  The highs is extremely clear and revealing. Great clarity, great speed.    However the sound is kind of unbalanced, multiple people tried it, and have the same conclusion: The highs contains way too much energy.   But this could be due to Oculus Rift VR HMD's DAC, not the earbud themselves, and DAC/DSP settings can be changed in the future via software updates.   (Oculus HMD only has digital connection to the PC, it has built-in DAC to drive the headsets)

Next, I modified the earbud into standard 3.5mm plug, so I can tried it on normal sources.

In the next few days, I have carefully compared it to my favorite and most used IEMs:  Sony EX1000, and VSonic GR07.
Quick conclusion:  Oculus Earbud is the same level as EX1000 and GR07.   And for daily enjoyment, Oculus Earbud is the one to keep.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 5
Thanks for the unveiling information.

Question -- if the Oculus doesn't ship until Dec. 6, how did you get them?

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 5
Quick comparison:  Oculus Earbud, EX1000, GR07.
They are all high definition, detail revealing IEMs.     No winners or losers, they are just different.

Overall:
EX1000 is the most magical for sure, transparent, spacious, especially bass.  GR07 and OC can't compete.  however I feel it's dynamics is not correct, it takes energy away, it is pleasant but not energetic.  another thing is recessed mids.

GR07 is reference level, sound is correct everywhere, more energetic than EX1000, full of details and inner texture. It has the best inner texture in mids.    However it is plastic sounding, it gives everything a slight plastic tone.  (much better than Sennheiser HD280,  HD280 has very obvious plastic tone)    And I wish it can be slightly more energetic and exciting.

Oculus Earbud - It is more energetic and exciting than GR07.  Great for pop, rock  (and gaming I guess).   No plastic hue, have balanced highs, mids, and bass.     And very fast, very detailed.
Problems:
1. bass is slightly more than mids and highs, to my taste.  to most of the people, this is actually preferred.
2. there is a bump, muddy, boomy area in the mid bass.    this is the single major problem with this earbud, to prevent it from being Best-of-the-best IEM.

Bass:
EX1000 10/10   very fast, transparent, magical bass.    I haven't heard anything like this.   
GR07   9/10      although not "magical", but it is good enough.
Oculus  7/10     this is the only weakness of Oculus earbud.   1. the amount bass is a little bit too much for a reference phone.    for everyday phone, or for average consumer, the amount is just right.       2. there is a bump in the mid bass area, and in this area the bass is not transparent, a bit boomy.    To me this is the ONLY and biggest problem with this earbud.

Mids:
EX1000  7/10   although still transparent and fast, but the amount is lacking.    not acceptable for reference phone, but for everyday enjoyment this is fine.
GR07   9/10     full of details, textures.   not magically transparent though.
Oculus  8/10    good, nothing wrong, nothing magical.

Highs:
EX1000  9/10   good.    Many people complain about sibilance issue, I used to HATE EX1000 because of this, until I tried it with good source (Yggy, Meizu MX4 and Pro5 phone), there is No, None, Zero sibilance with EX1000!
GR07   8/10    good, nothing special
Oculus  9/10   might be a tiny bit more grainier than GR07, but it is more detailed, more direct, and really fast!

Immersiveness (transparency and the ability to create 3D hallucinations)
EX1000   9/10     bass is amazing, but not 10 because recessed mids.
GR07     8/10       overall good, but nothing magical, and with plastic tone.
Oculus    9/10      because of its strength in highs.   not 10 because of bass issue.

Conclusion:
If averaging everything up, overall EX1000, GR07 and Oculus are on par.
Oculus earbud is a more enjoyable, fun headset.   good for pop, rock, gaming.   noise isolation is great.
EX1000 is good for classical, jazz
GR07 is good for critical listening

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 5
  Thanks for the unveiling information.

Question -- if te Oculus doesn't ship until Dec. 6, how did you get them?

In the OC3 event Oculus offered every attendee a pair of these. 

Oct 16, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 5

In the OC3 event Oculus offered every attendee a pair of these. 

Thank you.

Offered free or at retail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back