October 2007 UK Meet Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #106 of 244
That is such a beautiful set up! I really wish I have the money to do something like that.

I now really think I need to spend quite a bit of time with the R10 to understand them well. They did sound very good out of the Single Power Extreme (congrats on buying that btw!!!), but I think meet condition prevented me from hearing the subtly of those beauty.

FYI: I am now hell-bent on getting the K1000. I hope you are happy for making my wallet a lot lighter. :p

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #107 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cables can make of break a system and I've found nothing better then my own crazy DIY's and that included the Valhalla and Kimber KS1130. The Indra was on par but I wouldn't pay that much for an IC.

The Quad player should be nice and it would be even better if modded a bit. Having a digital input doesn't fit the Meridian way with the G08 feeding their DSP speakers.

I hope you are going to buy a properly rebuilt set of Quads, Doug, as they all have a finite lifespan. The 57's all have various issues but the 63 is far worse with the stators falling apart and a serious need for some bracing.

"ay, there's the rub" I have of course done a lot of reading on both models over time and I do think that the 63 would suit my ears a little better, however it is more expensive to get and refurbish. I know that any original set has a finite lifespan, any mechanical transducer, no matter its nature has a finite lifespan but it depedns on build and use.

The 57s are old and the 63s not young either. But a set that has been seen to by a pro should last at least as long as the original build.

Also you can stack the 57 a damn lot more easily than the 63.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #108 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"ay, there's the rub" I have of course done a lot of reading on both models over time and I do think that the 63 would suit my ears a little better, however it is more expensive to get and refurbish. I know that any original set has a finite lifespan, any mechanical transducer, no matter its nature has a finite lifespan but it depedns on build and use.

The 57s are old and the 63s not young either. But a set that has been seen to by a pro should last at least as long as the original build.

evil_smiley.gif

Can't wait
tongue.gif
I've seen some replica of the 57 at a hifi dealer in Hong Kong. I wonder if you know anything about it?

Fing, that is one incredible rig. Your 300B amps remind me of Kondo for some reason
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #109 of 244
Duggeh, I really would love to have a chance to listen to your Quad rig properly. I never experienced the full potential of vinyl, and I am saving my virgin experience for something perfect (that's why I didn't listen to your system :p).

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #111 of 244
Upgrading from the Mission M33 to the Quad 21L was what geologically upset the listening balance of my hi-fi. I went from majority headphone to majority speaker listening just like that. And the bias has increased even more since I got them, especially once I got them set up as they deserved to be (which they never were when you heard them, shoved into the corners of the room as they were).

An ESL57 is a large ugly and fussy brute and it probably wont be as happy with the NAD amp as a coil speaker, but I figure that I do so little loud volume listening and I know that planar is for me forever, that it cannot be anything but a great long term investment for my ears. A restored pair costs major bucks over a tatty pair, and I would be looking for ones in good nick, and preferably with the black grilles and modern IEC power sockets too.

I'll start to draw things together but I recon itll be next year before I'm in a place to start bidding on a pair, and then I've got to wait for the right set to come up. The only thing that I don't liek is that I've never heard a decent pair in person. If I did and I did like them as much as I might do, it would be reason enough to cut the headphone rig right down to just the O2.

Too many maybes there, but its nice to imagine things outwith ones present capacities.

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #112 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't you listen to Dire Straits on Duggeh's turntable? Maybe that was someone else...

The Brothers In Arms LP was sounding really nice out of the Float electrostats and the Quad 34/405-2.

The Ergo AMT really doesnt like the Quad 405-2 so much, its so sensitive and so low impedance compared to the Jecklin Stat or K1000 it picks up any hum in the amp and the 405-2 has, because of its age, got a bunch of hum.

Oct 30, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #115 of 244
Did somebody else pick up the 6 CD cartridge for my car changer? I can't find it anywhere. It'll probably have 4 or 5 discs in it.

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #117 of 244
Quote:

The difference between an Audigy 2 ZS and a Meridian G08 is pitiful.
Cans > Amp >>>>>> Source.

While it's clear that my ears hear totally different things to Duggeh's, I was surprised how good a decent pair of headphones could sound on a poor (but suitable e.g. has sufficient power) amp and a sub-par source. I realised that if I'm seeking more than very subtle changes from a headphone setup, like significantly more bass or a generally smoother sound, then forget cables/amps/sources; it's probably time to look at alternative headphones.

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #118 of 244
Quote:

Did somebody else pick up the 6 CD cartridge for my car changer? I can't find it anywhere. It'll probably have 4 or 5 discs in it.

I'm sure someone picked it up off the big table in the main room just as we were leaving... I assumed they'd put it on your trolley though
confused.gif

PS. Thanks for posting my photos in the thread, much better to be able to scroll through them on here
smily_headphones1.gif
Cheers

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #119 of 244
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

63's?, 57's? You know you want some 2905's
very_evil_smiley.gif

Speaking of stacked 57's Have you seen the Stacked 57's on Ebay.co.uk ?

Now there's something you don't see every day,
Unless perhaps your name was Alistair Robertson-Aikman

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #120 of 244
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

What brings all stats down in the end is some design flaw that could have been avoided. The 57's have the unprotected stators and a very weak treble panel, the 63's have the peeling stators and the new speakers have the same problem coupled with awful QC.

It's actually quite easy to stack the 63's as the panels are modular. 2 bass panels, 4 center panels and then 2 bass panels on top. All you need is a steel
frame.

I'm going for a Quads Unlimited 57's with thinner diaphragms on a special stand driven by an 845 based SET. 20w+ of SET power is simply amazing...
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back