Obtaining quality bass - cost no issue
May 21, 2007 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

vile_ator

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I'm an audio engineer and am thinking about the possibility of being able to travel with a small speaker and headphone system that will enable me to mix and master outside of my studio.

Here at home I use a pair of Dunlavy Aletha speakers which when coupled with my room, will let me go flat to 40 hz. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's that are nice phones, but there is not way I can mix or master with them alone. Too bass shy. I understand the physics of the small driver in headphones....

But is there a system that will allow me to get bass flat down to about 60 hz? I was thinking that there may be technology available that could enable this. Maybe its a digital system where the low end is boosted in some psycho-acoustic way. I have not spent much time looking into headphone technology in the past. Maybe you guys can help me out.

Or is there an in-ear system that is audiophile quality that will do this? Your suggestions would be very welcome!

Thank you!

Colin Davis

May 21, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone Proline 750.

Ultrasone Edition 9. Cost not an issue.
biggrin.gif

Darthbeyers would also be good.

May 21, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 38
Don't listen to recommendations of Beyerdynamic DT770's and Darth Beyers. Their frequency responses are horrendous.

I believe the HE90 has a very linear bass response. Anyone have a graph?

May 21, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't listen to recommendations of Beyerdynamic DT770's and Darth Beyers. Their frequency responses are horrendous.

I believe the HE90 has a very linear bass response. Anyone have a graph?

graphCompare.php

Since the OP finds the HD600 bass shy, I think he's looking for more of a bass hump. A completely flat FR headphone does not exist...and if it did, IMO, the OP would find it bass shy. The HD650 might be an improvement...but the DT770 will definitely have more bass.

May 21, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 38
AKG K1000? Has ruler flat (quite literally) frequency response 50hz-20khz.

Also, keep in mind a flat response will not necessarily mean lots of bass. If you want lots of high quality bass from a headphone, the L3000 is supposed to be amazing.

I'm just a little confused, if you think the HD600 is bass shy there is no way you could be looking for flat response because the HD600 already has an emphasized bass.

May 21, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 38
K701 for smooth, accurate, deep bass, thats rich in texture and detail. Get yourself a good portable amp to go with it. My favorite porta-amp is the AE-2. Together that should put you in the $750 -$800 ballpark. My preference is the RS1, but its got some bloat and impact/exageration that while enjoyable, is not very accurate.

May 21, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K1000? Has ruler flat (quite literally) frequency response 50hz-20khz.

Well even though I didn't hear a "ruler flat" response with the k1000 in regards to a speaker....it definitely does not hold the bass in the 60 hz and below category. No one has ever said the k1000 is a bass monster, but being bass anemic is its main complaint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just a little confused, if you think the HD600 is bass shy there is no way you could be looking for flat response because the HD600 already has an emphasized bass.

Headphones can't have a flat FR because of HRTF. Since the OP finds the HD600 so anemic, he should see if the DT770 has too much bass. While I personally find them too bassy....recording engineers use the DT770s too: so they're not bass monsters for everyone!

May 21, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 38
Thanks for the input! Let me add a comment or two to clarify. When I say that the HD 600's are bass shy, what I mean is that if I listen to my speaker system and then put on the headphones, immediately, an entire range of bass is gone. Most of my listening will be rock music and I find that the lower octave is just not there. Not that the music is unpleasant, its pleasant. But its that I need to be sure that I am hearing all that is there.(or most) As an engineer, I need this assurance.

I picked around and found some great reviews for the Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro in-ear canal ear phones. ($900) Stereophile was even very hip with these. Ive never used in-ear phones except the cheap ones that come with walkmans. I never liked those, but I am willing to possibly give this a try. Ill also check around with some of your other suggestions. Thanks again!

Colin

May 21, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 38
graphCompare.php

add in an upgrade cable for the hd650/k1000/omega 2/he60 and that is the flattest bass responses i can think of...

May 21, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #12 of 38
SA5000 is a bit bright, but with those headphones it's impossible to miss anything that's happening at the bottom end (or anywhere else in the spectrum, for that matter). It's coloration might not be so great for mixing, though. A lot of people have been saying that the ULTRASONE edition 9 has the deepest bass response they've ever heard. That doesn't mean that it has a lot of bass, just that you'll be able to hear the bass all the way down to the bottom end. I'm buying a pair of those as soon as I sell the stuff in my sig. For loads of impactful bass, I'm suprised that no one has mentioned the PS-1. Good luck getting your hands on one of those, though (try ebay within the next 8 days
wink.gif
).

I'm sort of suprised you don't think the HD600 is doing the job.

A great idea would be to try a Larocco amp! They supposedly have an extremely clean bass booster knob. The PRII with power supply is as good as a home amp at driving full-sized headphones, and it's portable. I think that would do it for you. www.laroccoaudio.net.

May 21, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #13 of 38
Your perception of a lack of bass in the HD600 is just that: a perception. In reality, they probably have a lot more (and deeper) bass than the majority of speakers, even speakers costing significantly more than they do. The sound pressure levels of the bass frequencies are not lacking I can assure you.

My opinion is that you're just not using to hearing bass in that manner. If you're expecting to experience body-shaking bass with headphones perhaps you shouldn't bother with headphones at all?

I recommend you increase your headphone listening until your perceptions shift enough for you to properly perceive "heard bass" (as opposed to "felt bass".).

May 21, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #14 of 38
AKG K-1000 with a subwoofer. You'll find a number of threads about this here. It takes a little fussing to match the two, however, it'll give you what you're looking for.

Also, I'd consider using something like this with your sub:

http://www.audioxpress.com/bksprods/products/kw-6.htm

If you have a dual voice coil sub driver, this will turn it into a servo sub. It'll really tighten things up and give you accurate bass to match the accuracy of the K-1000.

k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back